Joss Whedon's Dollhouse

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by zelmo, Feb 16, 2009.

1. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

What did you think of it? I wasn't really digging it the first 15 minutes or so - I think they tried way too hard to get people invested in the characters right away and it was a bit messy. After that, though, it was very enjoyable. I'm not a huge fan of Eliza Dushku, but I will definitely give this one several weeks to hook me.

2. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I enjoyed it, but it's a Whedon show, on Friday nights, on Fox... Why does that seem like a recipe for disaster? Something familiar about that situation...

At least it's not during baseball playoffs and they're airing the episodes in order this time... of course it's paired with Fox's other struggling show, Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles.

I don't care much for the latter anymore, but I have a feeling that the death of either show will seal the other's fate.

3. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

True, the first season of Terminator was really good, the second one started out very good, but then it started slipping. Kind of reminds me of Heroes.

4. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

I felt kind of "meh" about it.
    It wasn't terrible, but it didn't make me excited to want to watch it again either.
    Also, the premise that Eliza Dushku is essentially a different person each week is problematic for two reasons: (A) There's no consistent main character to really invest in and (B) I just don't know if Dushku is talented enough to pull off that many different personalities...

5. szark macrumors 68030

szark

I enjoyed it, but it hasn't fully hooked me yet. I've heard the second episode is supposed to be really good, so I'm looking forward to it.

Also, every time I see the technician guy, I remember his character from "The TV Set". I need to purge that from my mind if I'm going to be able to enjoy the show. ;)

6. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

They can manage to limit the personalities based on the people they help... and Echo may be more suited to different jobs than a different Active.

They can keep her in the, sexy intellectual, sexy arse kicker, sexy companion, roles while they dole out other profiles that she might not fit as well into to different Actives.

She's billed as the main star, and they've already planted seeds of her figuring out something is wrong, but they could still use episodes to follow other Actives to expand the cast and options.

7. mcnicks macrumors regular

I thought that the premise was interesting enough, and the mechanics should work ok. There is no dramatic difference between Echo being imprinted with the skills of a safecracker and Booth and Brennan pretending to be a circus act in order to solve a crime. I reckon that Whedon will make it work, then Fox will cancel it.

8. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Won't happen, because she's producing the show. Fox had a deal with Eliza for a new series, and she convinced Joss to write it. The show was conceived as a way to showcase her talents, so it's very unlikely that they will focus on other Actives.

9. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

I gave it a "i'll watch it again". I really like the ex cop character being protective of her and being the shows morals of sort.

Eliza, pretty, but we will have to see if she can pull off the other personalities without be the "hot" negotiator or the "hot" doctor or the "hot" engineer...

10. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Don't forget the fan outrage, and subsequent profitable movie that will linger in limbo as the fandom hopes/prays/delusions that maybe, just maybe we'll get another movie or two...

And of course the swearing that they'll never watch Fox again... as soon as series X completes it's run... oooh, that one looks good too!

She may be most of the focus, but even in Buffy, and Angel there were occasional episodes that didn't focus on the title characters, and while we don't know if Dushku can pull off all the different personalities, they can use other Actives to fill in the voids when needed, possibly even "discovering" Active's shortcomings in certain personality implants. They've got themselves a way out if Dushku can't pull it off, and while she is a producer, a long running profitable show would benefit her more than a short run show that got killed because she couldn't play a particular "role" well.

11. bbbensen macrumors 6502

I liked it. I would probably watch it again this week too.

The only thing that I didnt really like was Echo's mindless stare. That annoyed me immensely.

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

it has an interesting premise and might do well. we will just have to see where it goes really. but i'm willing to continue watching at least.

13. zelmo thread starter macrumors 603

zelmo

I really like the premise of this show. I just hope that they can overcome the boring and unspectacularly talented Eliza with some wicked good character development and writing.

For now, I'm still watching.

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

the second show at least gave us more than background, and you can kinda see where he is going with it. the character reminds me of a lot like River from Firefly - perhaps the show is a spin on the concept of River in a way.

but it could develop quite well.

15. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

You can definitely see Whedon's characters, but the setting too is reminiscent of the hotel in Angel.

So far I don't know what I think of it, but I'll keep watching... on Tuesday.. on Hulu.. because why would any exec schedule a TV show friday night when the target audience isn't home?

16. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

Yea after the second episode I've started to get fairly interested... I think whether or not it turns out to be a good show will depend entirely upon how well he is able to pull everything together. But it could be very cool if it works out well.

17. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

I'm not very impressed with it so far, but I'll give it a chance since I like Eliza. I don't see it lasting very long though.

First, there are plenty of people in the target audience at home on a Friday night. Second, DVR?

18. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Still reserving judgement and trying not to let my Whedon bias (i.e. I loved Fiirefly) make me like the show more than perhaps I should. :eek: ;) The first couple episodes were good, not great, but I'm going to try and be patient with it and see how it progresses. I'll give it about 3 more episodes before I decide if it's worth investing in or not (unless Fox beats me to it!) :eek: :p ;)

19. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I'm going to stick with it.

I'm a bit pissed its not in HD - not that this affects the acting or plot of the show, obv.

I'm confident in Whedon, only b/c of Buffy and Angel, and my love for Eliza also comes into the equation.

I'm speculating just how much they can do with the characters, though. It's quite limiting. I can't see it producing a good 7 years like Buffy - even if it does strike a chord with a big audience.

20. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Whoa, I just checked on Hulu and noticed Dollhouse is on there.

What's more, I also noticed it has closed captioning on Hulu!

Epic win for Hulu and epic fail for iTunes!

21. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

Dollhouse is in HD. If you aren't seeing it in HD, it is because of your local Fox station.

22. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Eliza... blah. I'd rather see Sarah Michelle Gellar any day of the week, but then I'd be afraid I'd have the same problem I have with Bones, where I keep expecting vampires to jump out...

Btw (actually, the real reason for this post) did anyone see the google ad for Angel Investors? When I first saw it, I thought Angel Investigations :cool:

Attached Files:

23. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Okay I guess I missed two episodes so far...lucky thing the int3rwebz is here to save the day.

I'll take a look see.

Bless

24. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I have not seen any work by Whedon or Dushku, so this seems new to me. I like how we only find out small pieces of what the Actives can do, if they retain much past memory, or if they are even somewhat bionic or just regular people.

25. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I meant on the iTunes store.

They released it in SD.

I've just gone and checked again, and its now available in HD.

Stupid iTunes is being very slow with adding shows lately.