Joy smart suit 3

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Dalter, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Dalter macrumors newbie

Hi

Has anyone gotten their hands on the joy smartsuit for the new iPad or have any comments about it. It seems that the only difference between the new one and the old one is the magnet on the back that holds the cover open. Do people like the old one? I'm looking for a thin case that has the ability attach the front cover to the back or take it off totally

Thanks

2. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

It's not available yet. Should be by the end of the week according to an email I got yesterday.

3. Dalter thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Thomasss95 macrumors 6502

Thomasss95

Could anyone place a few pictures (if you have one) of the SmartSuit2?

5. Kelly682 macrumors regular

I pre-ordered one last week. Still waiting. I keep on checking the website to see when it will ship. I even asked them to email me when it ships.

Looks to be everything I want in a case. Hopefully it is. :)

6. laurenr macrumors 6502a

The design of the SmartSuit 3 seems fabulous. I am also waiting on my order for the black case. What I like, is that the front cover mimics the Apple four-fold design. Many third party manufacturers employ three folds, which are not nearly as effective in providing a stable folding position.

7. Dalter thread starter macrumors newbie

can anyone compare the smartsuit to the speck candyshell wrap? what i like about the speck is that the front is removable and it looks like it provides more protection for the back. obviously im assuming that the new one for the new ipad will have magnet to close and not the gecko sticky stuff

any help would be appreciated

thanks

8. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

From looking at their FAQ section for this case:

Not made specifically for the iPad 3.
    It has no magnets so no auto-sleep function: ("Safely secure your device cover without magnets with our micro-suction closure")
    It's made of "hard glossy plastic" on the outside (scratches? cracks?)
    The cover "LOOKS" thick from the photo (can't really tell)
    And it uses suction cups to keep the cover down (don't like that idea at all).
    Don't like the way the cover attaches to the base either, looks like an accident waiting to happen.

So based on that it bears no resemblance to the SmartSuit other than they are both iPad cases.

9. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

10. Dalter thread starter macrumors newbie

yes i am aware of that, i am speaking of the yet to be released case which i am sure will have the magnets.

can anyone speak to protection provided and the thinness?

11. SweetDove macrumors regular

Oh, this case looks so amazing. It's a bit on the high end price wise, for myself, but I like that it'll hold itself open. Does the smart cover do that as well?

12. Dalter thread starter macrumors newbie

No, the smart cover with no back shell will not hold itself back, if you buy a separate back shell some of them have magnets to hold the smart cover back

13. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

HUH? You asked about comparing Speck "Candywrap" case vs. the Smartsuite. The list I posted was from FAQ of the Speck Candywrap case for iPad 2 & 3 (as listed in their site) NOT from the Smartsuit. The Speck case (does not) will not have a magnet but uses "suction cups because it is "hard glossy plastic." The Smartsuit always had the sleep magnet on the front just not on the back to hold the cover folded back as the new version has.

The Speck case has to be much thicker than the Smartsuit case in order to accommodate the slide off hinge mechanism and the "co-molded" stand on a hard plastic base as well as a rubber interior (as per Speck's description).

Generalizing from all the photos it seems logical to assume the Speck case is thicker, heavier and affords more protection due to a "rubber shock-absorbent lining" while the Smartsuit case is sold as "thinner and lighter" and therefore would seemingly afford less protection since it only has a soft microfiber lining bonded to a PU vinyl to maintain "thinness."

14. Dalter thread starter macrumors newbie

15. laurenr macrumors 6502a

Ooh! That is the BIG question! I just love the bronze, but was not sure if in real life, it would be too glitzy. If it's more of an antiqued bronze, it will be quite stunning. It's just so difficult to tell from pictures. I ordered the black to be safe, but really hope I don't regret it. if anyone has seen the bronze in person, please post your opinion on the color.

Has anyone received a shipping notice yet?

16. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

They said today by email they plan to be shipping on Friday.

17. nconnella macrumors regular

Went with bronze. Seems like a unique yet classic case. Supposed to ship next week. Hopefully sooner than later...

18. laurenr macrumors 6502a

Aaargh! I really don't know what to do.....I had called them a few days ago, and they said it was not too late to change my order from black to bronze. I have another day or two to make up my mind.:rolleyes:Mthe good thing is that they are located in Orange County, not too far from where I live.

19. Dalter thread starter macrumors newbie

I ordered the bronze, worse comes to worse if it's really bright illreturn it and order black

20. Kelly682 macrumors regular

I ordered the silver to go with my white iPad. :p

Did you guys see the new cases they have now? A lil pricey for me at $69.95 but I do like the blue one... http://www.thejoyfactory.com/product/csa108 Part of me wished I waited, but these don't ship out until mid April. I can't wait that long. They have different colors too: Soft Pink, Soft Gray, Black, Vintage Khaki, Vintage Blue.

Maybe down the road I'll get one for my mom, I'm just nice like that. ;)

21. Thomasss95 macrumors 6502

Thomasss95

They look awesome!
    But I don't want to buy one before I have seen reviews of the SmartSuit3.
    That case is basically a SmartSuit3 with a different colour.

Could you guys post pics and your toughts on the SmartSuit3 when you get it?

22. laurenr macrumors 6502a

Uh oh! You should NEVER have shown us that link! Those new designs are just stunning!! Did you see the "joyful wish" models!? I love how they've named them after Steve Jobs' famous quotes:eek:, like "Connect the dots".

23. nconnella macrumors regular

Great concept with the stevej jobs quote but not a fan of the dots personally. Prefer the sleek plain look.

24. Kelly682 macrumors regular

I have way too much time on my hands...

Sorry guys! :p

I personally like the plain ones myself, although I do like the Vintage Blue color. Anyway, I think the "dots" spell something. I think its braille and from what I understand each fold of the cover has 1 or 2 letters on it.

It could be a coincidence, but I looked up Braille and this is what I got so far...

J|OY|F?|#

each | represents the fold of the cover. I don't know what comes after the F though. The # seems wrong as well, but JOY... c'mon has to be some sort of coincidence right? I really should get back to work.... :) Just thought I'd post a fun lil tid bit for you all, which is totally OT I know. :D

25. laurenr macrumors 6502a

Too funny! It never occured to me that the dots were braille! (Hope you have some important work related page up on your screen, to quickly access in case of ummmm.... emergency:rolleyes:)