JP Morgan Analyst Expects up to Four New iPhone Models in 2020

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 9, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

JP Morgan analyst Samik Chatterjee expects Apple to reignite its growth next year with the launch of four new iPhones featuring key selling points like OLED displays, 5G modem support, and new rearward-facing 3D sensing AR/VR capabilities.

[​IMG]

As quoted by CNBC, JP Morgan's Monday report says it expects Apple to release three top-of-the-line OLED 5G iPhones in 5.4-inch, 6.1-inch, and 6.7-inch sizes, two of which will feature advanced rear camera 3D sensing tech. In addition, analysts expect a fourth lower-cost model to be launched that's the same size as the iPhone 8 but without a 5G modem or OLED display.
    Apple's current iPhones have TrueDepth 3D-sensing cameras on the front, but the expectation is clearly that some of the 2020 iPhones will be equipped with similar cameras on the back. The report also says that Apple's lower-cost iPhone model will be aimed at "a much more 'value' category than it has been used to with its recent launches."

Some of the details in the report line up with previous predictions, notably from respected Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. Kuo has said Apple plans to release three new iPhones in the second half of 2020, including high-end 5.4-inch and 6.7-inch models with OLED displays and a lower-end 6.1-inch model, which he believes will also have an OLED display.

According to Kuo, the 5.4 and 6.7-inch iPhone options will support 5G speeds, while the lower-end 6.1-inch iPhone in 2020 will continue to work with LTE.

Bloomberg reported in January that Apple isplanning to add a laser-powered time-of-flight 3D rear camera that will result in significant improvements to AR experiences to its 2020 iPhones.

The camera is said to be able to scan areas up to 15 feet from the device. Apple's front-facing TrueDepth camera uses 3D technology but because it's infrared and not laser-powered, it only works at distances of 25 to 50 centimeters.

JP Morgan's Chatterjee says he expects the fresh line-up will help Apple sell 195 million iPhones in 2020, up from an estimated 180 million in 2019. Later this year, Apple is expected to release three new iPhones with triple-lens rear cameras, but without 5G connectivity.

Article Link: JP Morgan Analyst Expects up to Four New iPhone Models in 2020

2. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

He thinks they'll be new iPhone's in 2020? I bet he had to dig deep to come to that conclusion.

3. farewelwilliams macrumors 68020

remember when tim said he can fit the entire Apple product line on one table?

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

As long as Apple keeps the price point appropriate for the 5.4 inch iPhone and put some of the latest specifications into it, I think that will be highly successful on its own. Broadening to a demographic where not everyone wants larger smart phones, shows Apple still pays attention to try to appease to everyone.

5. Uobio macrumors member

Uobio

Analysts expect up to 20 Iphone models in 2040 lineup. Bleh, sooo interesting news.

6. breather macrumors member

breather

Time of flight with lasers and **** sound like its got potential to be cool and useful

7. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

I really miss the days of a single iPhone that only came in white or black.

8. Gergelyc macrumors newbie

I am the only one who is annoyed when both SI and Imperial are used in same sentence to convey relation to each other?

The camera is said to be able to scan areas up to 15 feet from the device. Apple's front-facing TrueDepth camera uses 3D technology but because it's infrared and not laser-powered, it only works at distances of 25 to 50 centimeters.”

Either say 15 feet (around 4.5m) .... distances of 25 to 50 centimeter (Since this is a rumor of an upcoming technology)
    or 15 feet .. distances of 25 to 50 centimeter (0.82 to 1.642 feet)

It is already annoying that its not in SI, but this is just lazy writing.

9. miniyou64 macrumors 6502a

miniyou64

They better fix the headache inducing PWM frequency on the OLEDs :mad:

10. miflgr92 macrumors member

I love my iPhone 8 Plus but definitely would have gone with the iPhone 8 if it had the dual lens portrait mode camera. I miss having a small phone that easily fits in my pocket and that I can use with one hand. I hope Apple doesn’t keep certain features from the smallest sized iPhone in 2020. I will definitely purchase it if it offers everything that the larger models do.

11. b-dogg macrumors regular

Yeah, dining table in the grand hall at hogwarts!

"THE PRODUCT PIPELINE IS LONG AND WILL BLOW YOU AWAY" (c) (tm) Cook - in every earnings call/interview since 2012.

12. Kabeyun macrumors 68020

Kabeyun

Between these models (unless they unexpectedly release a smaller iPhone) and the new MBP with scissor action keys, Apple’s getting a bunch of my money in 2020.

13. jagolden macrumors 6502a

jagolden

As Henry Ford once said, "You can have any color as long as it’s black".

14. GaryMumford macrumors 6502

GaryMumford

I think this may be the table he was talking about... [​IMG]

15. Kabeyun macrumors 68020

Kabeyun

I agree, but the iPhone 6/7/8 doesn’t qualify unless one has enormous hands. I miss an iPhone which I can really use one-handed while holding it, not perching it on my fingers. i.e. where my thumb can reach the whole screen while my fingertips grasp the far edge. This means the iPhone SE, and I’m really wistful for the iPhone 4, the size of which we’ll never see again.

16. Pearple macrumors member

Just one thing:

SE2 !

or any other small phone, dammit!

17. stevearm macrumors 6502a

ffs just release a new SE, we don't need four tablet sized phones.

Haven't bought an iPhone in years and it looks like that'll continue to be the case.

18. Googlyhead macrumors 6502

Thanks for the conversions.

The quoted range gets notably less impressive when translated from feet to an exact measurement!

19. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

Same here. I don't want a phablet. If 5.4" is the smallest that Apple will offer, I won't care how much tech they cram into it. Bring back the SE!

20. centauratlas macrumors 65816

centauratlas

"more 'value' category"

This is important if they want more subscription revenue. Adding a SE size would help since I know some people want a smaller form factor.

As far as using feet and cm in the same sentence, it is trivial to understand both, so I don't see it as a big deal.

21. Whoakapi macrumors 6502

22. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

Is 2019's iPhone seriously only a third camera lens? What a boring SS upgrade.

Maybe THIS is why they stopped reporting units sold and slowing sales actually happened sooner than they expected (just as they told investors).

23. CrazyForCashews macrumors 6502

24. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

More choices are good for customers!
    More choices are confusing for customers!
    Hard to please people, particularly the ones from this site who "know everything" about Apple.

25. ersan191 macrumors 65816

If I expect “up to” 428 new iPhone models, I’m still technically right...