Judge Dismisses Key Claims of Monster's Lawsuit Against Beats

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 30, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge William Fahey today dismissed the key claims in a lawsuit that alleged that Beats co-founders Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre double-crossed former partner Noel Lee, founder of cable maker Monster, reports The Associated Press. The allegations were made in a lawsuit that was filed last year.

[​IMG]

Monster's lawsuit accused the Beats co-founders of orchestrating a "sham" deal with HTC that would terminate Monster's stake in Beats. Monster used to design and sell Beats by Dre headphones, but that changed when Beats sold 51 percent of the company to HTC in 2011, invoking a change-of-ownership clause in the Beats and Monster deal.

Beats Electronics later repurchased HTC's stake in the company and convinced Lee to sell part of his 5 percent stake. Lee alleges that the moves were made to exclude Monster from Beats by Dre profits and, later, the Apple acquisition, which would have netted Lee more than $100 million if he had kept his stake.

Judge Fahey concluded that Beats' actions were allowed under the contracts they had signed with Lee and Monster, and that Lee and his company had entered into business with Beats as sophisticated investors. Fahey also dismissed Monster's claims against HTC America.

Last July, Apple revoked Monster's "Made for iPhone" license after the lawsuit. The trial is still scheduled to go on next week, but will be limited to Beats' effort to force Monster to pay its attorney fees.

Article Link: Judge Dismisses Key Claims of Monster's Lawsuit Against Beats

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Looks like Apple paid off yet another judge.

Oh well, beats still suck.

3. Zenithal macrumors 604

Anyone who buys Beats headphones or Monster cables isn't bright to begin with. Need I link people to the thread in the main forum about a young lad who's 20 and still has father arrange things for him?

4. Krizoitz macrumors 65816

Krizoitz

And by "paid off another judge" you mean successfully argued its case using case law and legal precedent?
    Life tip: Not everything you disagree with is some nefarious and twisted scheme. Very often its just life.

5. akfgpuppet macrumors regular

akfgpuppet

Monster should have gone to an East Texas court.

6. M87 macrumors 65816

Can someone please sue apple for not making computers anymore. Thanks.

7. JoEw macrumors 68000

JoEw

While not the best in sound, I have had powerbeats2 wireless earbuds and they've lasted me almost a year straight of running.. My last 3 wireless headphones lasted 4-5 months max.
    I know mi
    My beats headphones wireless and wired have lasted longer than any other headphone company I've tried buying from...
    I did catch them on sale, but then I also do that with most of my Apple products. Sometimes I do think you get what you pay for in terms of durability.
    Monster cables can't be defending anyone paying over 5 dollars for an HDMI cable is getting bamboozled mostly because cables rarely get moved and worn out since they stay stationary.

8. dec. Suspended

dec.

Not even sure why you'd think it's worth replying to completely brain dead garbage like that. :)

9. Zenithal macrumors 604

Wireless headphone technology is relatively new in the current technologies. Otherwise, I had wireless RF based headphones over a decade ago.

10. DPUser macrumors 6502a

Any company (or its founder) that can sell cables listed as "for bass" vs "for guitar" and speaker cables that cost monster dollars yet don't outperform zip cord won't find me shedding tears when it loses.

But THIS ^ is really good.

11. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

The Beats Solo 2's wireless headphones are actually pretty good. I was surprised!

12. iClone macrumors regular

I don't like jimmy's face. I'm not sure why.

13. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

14. AdonisSMU macrumors 604

huh? That court isnt for this type of case. Wise up.

15. rosujin macrumors newbie

Somebody should have told Monster:
    "...when you diss Dre you diss yourself!"

16. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

17. shareef777 Suspended

shareef777

Nope Apple won and rightfully so. Monster is just fighting because they're angry that they could have gotten a better deal after the fact. Welcome to the real world Monster, you sold your shares and you got paid for it. You can't come back and argue that you want more money AFTERWARD!

On a related topic, Apple is being told to pay the proper taxes in the EU. Another correct decision made by the European Commission. I don't care what kind of deal Ireland gave you. You had a business in Ireland which is part of the EU. Shoulda had that shady deal checked out with the EU. You didn't, and now it's gonna cost you ... nothing more then what you should of been paying to begin with!

18. ekwipt macrumors 6502a

Wel done Dr. Dre, still a gangster in business. Love it

19. dixido macrumors member

dixido

Apple took out "computer" from the company name years ago. These days it's clear why.

20. Gasu E. macrumors 601

Gasu E.

I'm starting a class action suit against you for using up valuable publicly-owned oxygen.

21. carrrrrlos macrumors 6502a

carrrrrlos

22. Gasu E., Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016

Gasu E. macrumors 601

Gasu E.

So you're telling us there is an EU regulation that says a company must apply to the EU for approval of a tax deal with a member state? Wow, I'm surprised Apple didn't know that, with its hundreds of lawyers. Do you happen to know the regulation number? Also, what is the process-- is there some form to fill out, or are they required to send a letter to a specific EU office; and if so, which EU office?

Or, are you just making this up as you go along, as the EU just did? Which, by the way, goes against the very foundations of western law.

Also BTW, most people who disagree with the EU believe Apple should be paying more in taxes. Except we believe these taxes should be going to other jurisdictions. The EU is just jumping the queue and greedily trying to grab it all for themselves.

23. CarlJ, Aug 31, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2016

CarlJ macrumors 68030

CarlJ

Monster's argument seems to be "we got outmaneuvered, so somebody needs to pay us, because waaaah". Too bad. Karma is a bitch. Monster Cable has a long history of bullying other companies unreasonably:
    The last pdf in the BlueJeansCable link is a mildly fun read (watch what happens when Monster Cable decides to have their lawyers bully a small high-end cable company, whose founder happens to be a retired lawyer skilled in litigation).

24. Three141 macrumors 6502

Three141

Would be interesting to know more about how they 'convinced him' as it sounds like they offered him a sum of money which he thought was a good deal at the time.

25. dave2010 macrumors regular

Apple executive employees are required to get "hollywood smile" teeth bleaching.