"Judge" people by their avatars?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by anjinha, Sep 22, 2008.

1. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I know this may sound stupid, but do you think sometimes in forums do you think you sort of "judge" people by their avatars or just that their avatars can give the wrong impression?

There's this other forum I go to and there's a member who always starts a bit of controversial threads, doesn't seem to know a lot about the topics and sometimes just says things that make me go "WTF?". He sounds a little dumb and immature but probably doesn't help that his avatar is a picture of Ralph Wiggum picking his nose...

What do you think?

2. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

I think sometimes peoples avatars do slightly reflect their personality, but don't judge a person 'till he/she actually says something or does something.

On a side note, this is a forum, people really don't give a crap what you think of them, and it really should not matter to you either.

3. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Perhaps. I know that my avatar is definitely an accurate representation of myself.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I don't really care what other people's avatars are.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

There are a lot of people around here who do that, and they annoy the **** out of everyone else.

6. anjinha thread starter macrumors 604

anjinha

I don't mean judging in that way. I just meant that sometimes the way I read someone's post has a lot to do with a person's avatar, and how seriously I take someone's posts. I don't do that intentionally.

7. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

8. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

9. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

For me all they are is a way to easily notice who a poster is. Some are incredibly distinctive and it helps.

Personally, I just choose or make ones that I like or that make me laugh.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I don't judge people by their avatars. I use avatars to judge people after I've become familiar with their posts.

11. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I really can't see how people would be judged by their avatars. I mean, if you have an avatar that represents a sports team I would imagine that's their favorite sports team. If there's one that shows a picture of say Ralph Wiggum picking his nose, I would think that they're just being funny.

I too tend to judge people on their posts. In the end though, as much as I'd like to sit here and say I care if someone is upset at me or thinks I'm stupid around here, I'd be lying. Now, if I have tons of conversations with someone say in PMs, e-mail, or on the phone and they happen to think less of me; then I tend to care a great deal. If someone were to judge me because my past avatars have been my initials, a picture of a hotel room bed, a "sync" icon, an apple icon, an ipod nano, or a picture of something then they are more than welcome to. My response is that I am sorry you care so much. :)

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I'm a mouse that doesn't suffer fools gladly.

In fact, I don't suffer them at all.

14. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I too simply use the avatars to help me to know who has posted.

A few years ago, we had a game where a few dozen of us randomly rotated our avatars around (we pooled all of our 'tars, and then we each got a randomly chosen one every few hours). It confused everyone, and showed just how much people look at 'tars, not names, when reading posts.

15. angelneo macrumors 68000

A lot of memory techniques uses visual cues to aid in recalling textual information if I am not wrong. I wouldn't be surprised if the most memorable thing most MR members can recall about lacero is his/her/its use of avatar.

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I don't care what their avatars are, but I usually associate an avatar with a person quicker than a name. So I don't like it when folk swap avatars around so often :p

Unless it's something inflammatory like... petrol.

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I choose avatars that are easy to spot quickly if I'm scrolling really fast.

I appreciate members with avatars that don't change often. It's a part of a member's identity, like a person's face. It just provides a visual familiarity.

As far as I know, I've always chosen funny looking animals, and I don't know if anyone can really judge me by these photos. I just happen to find many animal photos funny.

18. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

iBlue and edesignuk are the worst at that.

19. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I loved your happy pussycat avatar.
    :)
    (Or was that someone else?:eek:)

20. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

21. bartelby macrumors Core

So you're not just "virtually" mooning everyone, like I always thought?

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

If we judged people by their avatars, we'd all think bartelby was some creepy kind of guy. I know I'm not the only one creeped out by his 'tar. :D

23. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Yup. I form an opinion of someone based on their type of posts, and then once I see their avatar I know what type of post to expect.

Mostly, it just serves as a distinct way of knowing who's post it is without having to bother actually reading their username (I'm lazy). I can just tell at a glance (if they have an avatar that is)

24. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

I usually judge people by their posts -- I really do. But I have to admit a few people's avatars have either creeped me out or I have found very off-putting, even though the actual poster has not been. It takes me a minute to "adjust," because my knee-jerk reaction is sometimes to ignore.

On the other hand, I always wonder how people react to reading a post from a red teddy bear, and if I'm taken seriously or not. :D

25. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I think it just makes it easier to find a user's posts when looking through them on a page. Otherwise I don't really care what it is.