Jumping Ship!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Gromet, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Gromet macrumors regular

Gromet

So I bought a new HP Touchpad last Friday. I have an iPad 2 and an iPhone 4. I got the Touchpad at about 10:00am last Friday, Buy 1:00 in the afternoon I was at my local AT&T store and upgraded from my iPhone to an HP Veer. I have been using the Touchpad/Veer combo exclusivly since Friday afternoon and to be honest, I think I'm done with my iOS devices.

I have been on the Apple bandwagon since the first iPhone was released. To be honest, i'm bored of it. For the past four years nothing with the UI has changes. It's stale. It took the this long (iOS 5) to fix the notifications which were an absolute nightmare.

To tell you the truth, webOs is AMAZING! The UI is fresh, multitasking is awesome on this device.

Full flash does make a difference, I didn't realize what I was missing until I started browsing with the Touchpad.

Don't trust the reviews, the hardware is solid, the unit is fast, screen is gorgeous. The sound is amazing coming out of this thing. Yes of course there are way fewer apps for webOS at this point compared to iOS BUT with full flash in the browser (which works amazingly well) you don't need half the apps that you do on iOS.

For my daily, web browsing, email reading, etc, webOS smokes iOS. There are more Apps coming daily too.

The wat the Touchpad Integrates with the Veer is awesome.

I hear people complain about the weight compared to the iPad 2. SERIOUSLY? There is barely ANY difference when you hold them up together, anyone who is actually complaining about this is nit picking. and the thickness, COME ON, yes, the touchpad is a little thicker, but it fits really well in the hand. I think it's size is just right. I had an iPad1 and upgraded when iPAD 2 came out, and I never really loved the way the iPad 2 felt compared to the original, I think the little bit of thinkness gives you a better hold on the devics. Smaller is NOT always better.

Anyway, I'm not trolling here, I'm just trying to let people know that my feeling on the Touchpad andwebOS in general and maybe some will take a look at it and feel as I do that it just is a better fit then iOS.

-Gromet

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If you like it better then great. Enjoy it, but be prepared to get a bunch of angry posts in this thread.

3. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Oh look, another "I'm leaving Apple for some product but I'm not trolling I'm just insecure about my purchase so I have to post it on the internet" threads.

How original...

4. kalex macrumors 65816

wow u got all that from his post. You must be reading between the lines.

OP - Webos is pretty good, use to have pre and pixi. When i had it, it was the lack of apps that killed it for me but lets hope HP can get developers behind it..

Enjoy

5. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

I have had the acer iconia and ASus transformer, both were laggy and I always went back to the iPad 2 then bought a tab, all were sold or returned but the ipad2, so enjoy but I bet you will be back.:eek:

6. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

Good for you. I haven't personally played with either device but I've had experience with some Andriod devices and I honestly don't see the appeal at all. There are Apple haters that refuse to buy an iOS product and then there are those that get lured by the appeal of Andriod pricepoints that don't exist for Apple products. My concern is that the "average" user can become annoyed with an Andriod device navigation or general experience and claim the Apple experience to be the same without touching it.

From personal experience with many "non-geek" people, any iOS device is so easy to use that a 2 year old to a 102 year old can use it easily. You can't make that claim with an Andriod device as a techincal person like myself has trouble moving around. I guess I've become spoiled on iOS. Lossing my geek powers. Hahaha.

7. palpatine macrumors 68040

Congratulations!

The iPad isn't for everyone. Os is far from perfect. I can see the allure of webos and honeycomb. I haven't played with a touchpad, but I have heard good things about it.

Personally, I would like a flash optionin the browser. And, I have other minor quibbles about the iPad. So, I can appreciate some of the benefits of other devices.

I'll wait and see what ios5 and cloud looks like before I think about another device, though. I'm pretty pleased with the integration of everything here and the rich app environment, so I don't plan on switching to an unknown, heavier, and thicker product anytime soon.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

8. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

I think you'll get bored of the touch pad faster then you got bored of the iPad, I mean you've even pointed out there are far less apps for WebOs so once your done, surfing, reading email, ......what else will you do with it? Your in the same boart as people with android tablets or the playbook, sure they look great, they have flash, etc, but at the end of the day its the number of apps that drive the devices and make them useful beyond the same email, surfing capabilities they all have.

9. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Your right, that did come off a little harsh, but every time a new product comes out there are a ton of these threads that pop up.

10. Keleko macrumors 68000

I'll be an unangry post. HP is trying to do with webOS what Apple has done with iOS - make a nice platform and overall experience with the devices. They have a good OS on the devices as a good start. It isn't without problems, since the reviews have said they experienced issues as they used the TouchPad. HP has promised fixes for those problems soon. iOS had its share of problems early on, too, and Apple fixed those.

What HP lacks is integration with music and video stores like Apple has with iTunes. I don't expect them to be able to duplicate the level of popularity Apple has with iTunes. But, I don't use iTunes much to buy music for my iOS devices, so it isn't completely necessary, either.

I was a Palm fan for a long time until the iPhone came out. It just took Palm too long to catch up for me to stick with them. HP stands a good chance with webOS to become a major player. RIM seems to not quite get it with the integration between phone and tablet. Android is too haphazard with no vision other than throw technology out there and hope.

What could kill HP is the lack of developers. If they don't gain developer acceptance then their platform is doomed. I'm hoping they gain traction and support.

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

Most of the pro gadget blog reviews were at least specific with their review. If they used the word AMAZING!, or made a statement like "does make a difference" or "smokes iOS", they qualified it with their actual experience, or specific comparison to other OSs.

12. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

I will look for the HP and play around with it, long as you are happy for the moment.

13. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I bought one Saturday. Each time I use it I like it more. Even if I keep it (have 10 more days to decide) I will still keep my iPad 2. That device is the holy grail for me but I do like webOS on the HP product.

14. poloponies macrumors 68030

The "little thicker", "little heavier" isn't a problem, it's that it's thicker and heavier AND has at least 20% less battery life that concerns me.

15. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The internets have been buzzing with the news that Jon Rubenstein, the head of WebOS development sent out an e-mail to engineers and developers addressing the negative reviews the Touchpad had received. Mr Rubenstein made the comparison between WebOS and some early reviews of Apple's own Mac OS/X:

Of course, Mr Rubenstein is also conveniently overlooking the fact that Mac OS/X already had a large and devoted customer base. He also overlooks the fact that, even now, OS/X has a bare 9% of the pc operating system market.

IMHO, the problems that plague the HP Touchpad, as well as the Xoom, the RIM Playbook, and whatever Samsung is shoving into the channel this week are NOT ones that can be solved by simple over-the-air updates. Or even HP adding a couple dozen Tablet-specific Apps to their store. No, the rot goes deeper than that.

The problem relates to Honeycomb, and WebOS, and QNS all baking multitasking into the operating system in a way that Apple does not. This places such a load on system resources, with all sorts of background processes going on, that an Apple device is almost ALWAYS going to outperform its competitors, even those with theoretically more powerful hardware.

I admire Mr Rubenstein's confidence and positive outlook in the face of tepid reviews of his product.

But I cannot help but wonder if we aren't seeing Astroturfing as a response.

16. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

And the OS is a clunky mess. Did anyone see the video reviews of the WordPress app for WebOS? It was hilarious. It looked like a videogame from the 1980s. Horrible animations, any UI was a direct copy from iOS. Just a turd.

It amazes me how poor some peoples aesthetics are.

17. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Shame that seems to be a problem with most people. I'd rather an iOS being perfected that just a simple UI change.

18. 7thMac macrumors 6502

Boredom is not the best criterion. The OS should get out of the way, not entertain you. Report back in a month or two and let us know if you feel the same way.

19. Gromet thread starter macrumors regular

Gromet

aristobrat, I never ment this post to be a "pro gadget review". It was only my posting a quick writeup about my feeling since getting the touchpad last week.

If you want a little more in depth review, check out my Blog @:
    http://thegromblog.wordpress.com/

-Gromet

20. 2 Owls macrumors regular

Sorry to just pick the one bit but come on, have you never used another machine other than an iPhone/Pad and flash is something new to you?

Good job you don't need all those apps ;)

21. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

Please dont try to drive hits to your amateur blog.

22. Gromet thread starter macrumors regular

Gromet

Wow, not trying to "drive hits" I could honestly care less if anyone goes to my blog...

I really hope WebOS does well and people like yourself stay away, It's people like you that make forums like this really suck sometimes.

Why do people have to be a*sh*l*s just because someone might not share the same opinion about something as they do? Really are you that insucure with yourself that you ned to bash others to make yourself feel better?

Sad!

-Gromet

23. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Exactly! +1

24. Pared macrumors 65816

It seems like you just copy and pasted the original post from every other thread that pops up when a new device is released.

I recall the same exact thread, tone and all, when the Xoom was released, the Galaxy, etc.

25. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Welcome to politics. Our names are hypocrites and our philosophy is libel.