Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Spymac has posted a report on the significance of the Apple's Junkyard trademark which showed up on July 12, 2002.
Purportedly, Junkyard is "Apple's version of a simple file recovery utility" that is similar in many respects to Norton Utilities' UnErase.

MacRumors received a similar tip as well as this submission, neither of which was verifiable at the time.

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2002
yeah, well, it guess it's possible.

then again, they said the iWalk was possible...

awrootbeer

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
makes sense

Ah, why didn't i think of that? Where does your trash go after you throw it away (or digitally delete it..:))

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by crazy_will
yeah, well, it guess it's possible.

then again, they said the iWalk was possible...

the iWalk IS Possible, just impractical.

billiam0878

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2002
Winter Park, FL
Spymac mentioned that "Junkyard" might be featured it the next update, Pinot, which they say is expected at MWSF. Doesn't that seem a little early for another substantial update to OS X? Sounds like Spymac is full of it, which is nothing new :rolleyes:

Bill

awrootbeer

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
Originally posted by billiam0878
Doesn't that seem a little early for another substantial update to OS X?

Feb is nearly 6 months away, I should hope there is an update by then. You want Apple to release X updates once a year? Pinot could be 10.2.5 for all we know.

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2002
Originally posted by jadam

the iWalk IS Possible, just impractical.

Let me rephrase that...

While the iWalk may be possible, the way Spymac publicised it, you would think that it was a definite. Spymac is fround upon by many around here, including myself. While I could see that as being possible, I feel that it is more likely that it would be a home app, meaning that it would most likely be an iapp. Most businesses would use something more established. Hence, I feel that a PC recycling/trade-in program is more likely than an file recovery application.

awrootbeer

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002

Let me rephrase that...

While the iWalk may be possible, the way Spymac publicised it, you would think that it was a definite. Spymac is fround upon by many around here, including myself. While I could see that as being possible, I feel that it is more likely that it would be a home app, meaning that it would most likely be an iapp. Most businesses would use something more established. Hence, I feel that a PC recycling/trade-in program is more likely than an file recovery application.

..and Macrumor is frowned upon by many at SpyMac (not including me..). And your argument is VERY week, Apple continues to make their crap consumer, not business, centered.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by billiam0878
Spymac mentioned that "Junkyard" might be featured it the next update, Pinot, which they say is expected at MWSF. Doesn't that seem a little early for another substantial update to OS X? Sounds like Spymac is full of it, which is nothing new :rolleyes:

Bill

Actually, here's the text:

Junkyard is Apple's version of a simple file recovery utility similar to Norton's. With Junkyard enabled, all items emptied from the trash will be recoverable via the Junkyard application. Junkyard will be ready in time for MWSF, but will more than likely not debut until 10.3.

Which implies that Junkyard may be ready for MWSF... or might be held until Pinot. Pinot's release is as yet undetermined.

arn

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2002
Originally posted by awrootbeer

..and Macrumor is frowned upon by many at SpyMac (not including me..). And your argument is VERY week, Apple continues to make their crap consumer, not business, centered.

if apple "continues to make their crap consumer, not business centered" as you say, does that mean that I should buy my little sister an xserve?

i'm sorry if i offended you, but some here, obviously myself included, feel that spymac's predictions leave much to be desired in the way of plausibility. and now that macrumors is beginning to get all high-and-mighty "apple doesnt do **** for anyone" while they are working with the best that can get their hands on without losing serious cash, they also leave much to desired. in fact, the only two semi-realisticaly thinking mac rumor sites would be this one (mostly) and as the apple turns.

awrootbeer

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002

if apple "continues to make their crap consumer, not business centered" as you say, does that mean that I should buy my little sister an xserve?

i'm sorry if i offended you, but some here, obviously myself included, feel that spymac's predictions leave much to be desired in the way of plausibility. and now that macrumors is beginning to get all high-and-mighty "apple doesnt do **** for anyone" while they are working with the best that can get their hands on without losing serious cash, they also leave much to desired. in fact, the only two semi-realisticaly thinking mac rumor sites would be this one (mostly) and as the apple turns.

I'm not offended, but it sounds like you are reading rumor sites for the wrong reason. Appleturns has turned into a "crap" site lately, and I do believe they should just throw in the towl and concentrate on raising a family. I respect how you feel about SM, as I'm sure you respect the fact that I don't agree.
Regarding the topic of this thread: "Most businesses would use something more established"

Really? So they wouldn't trust something made by Apple that was BUILT INTO the OS over a third party soft? I know my boss would. However, I can see where you are coming from, and my point is that it has never stopped Apple before. Mail.app anyone?

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

i'm sorry if i offended you, but some here, obviously myself included, feel that spymac's predictions leave much to be desired in the way of plausibility.

Before this thread gets dragged down...

Yes, some people dislike spymac and some people dislike macrumors...
some like both...

Let's try to keep focus on this topic...

arn

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2002
Sorry everyone, I'm a bit moody today.

Can someone tell me what Pinot is?

I'll try to more in the know next time:)

awrootbeer

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
thanks, and sorry again everyone.

You have no reason to apologize. We have difference in opionion and we shared them on a public discussion board.. that's what it's here for :)

Nonosse

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2002
The Hague, NL
"Pinot" ?

:confused: Er... I might also be a little out of date concerning Apple technology and its evolution, but could anybody tell me why they called the future OS "Pinot" ?

I mean, "Jaguar" sounds aggressive and powerful, bla bla bla, but "Pinot" sounds wrong to me: the only thing i come to think about is the French wine with the same name (North-East of France, "Pinot Noir", "Tokay Pinot Gris", "Pinot Blanc", end of the cultural interference :) ).

Well, what are the next projects gonna be called like, "Chardonnay",. "Budweiser", "Jack Daniels" ?

Arnaud.

groundhog troll

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2002
junkyard filerecovery

Shouldn't it be called City Dump thats where the trash goes to not a junkyard where wrecked cars go.
I don't know about XP but ME has a restore feature but deleted items cannot be recovered from it.

billiam0878

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2002
Winter Park, FL
Originally posted by awrootbeer

Feb is nearly 6 months away, I should hope there is an update by then. You want Apple to release X updates once a year? Pinot could be 10.2.5 for all we know.

The only reason I'm concerned is because I don't want to shell out more cash for another substantial update in just 6-7 months. Yes, I want OS X to evolve, and yes, I would like X to be updated often, however, I for one would rather see a number of smaller, cost-free updates.

Bill

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Re: "Pinot" ?

Originally posted by Nonosse
:confused: Er... I might also be a little out of date concerning Apple technology and its evolution, but could anybody tell me why they called the future OS "Pinot" ?

I mean, "Jaguar" sounds aggressive and powerful, bla bla bla, but "Pinot" sounds wrong to me: the only thing i come to think about is the French wine with the same name (North-East of France, "Pinot Noir", "Tokay Pinot Gris", "Pinot Blanc", end of the cultural interference :) ).

Well, what are the next projects gonna be called like, "Chardonnay",. "Budweiser", "Jack Daniels" ?

Arnaud.

Well, I think you've hit the idea behind the name Jaguar. I think Pinot (or did they mis-spell pinto? :D) may suggest that the operating system is becoming more refined.

They might go to artists since they already tried composers, but beer or whiskey...ummm, I hope not. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.