Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
So what happens when Apple copies other vendors like Android notifications or WebOS task control? Or does it only work one way?

Since MacOS X had notifications ten years before Android existed, what makes you think Apple copied Android and not MacOS X?

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Patent 721:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...8,046,721.PN.&OS=PN/8,046,721&RS=PN/8,046,721

Has been found invalid outside America in some country's due to recognised prior art existing before the patent, and as such Apple has lost cases against others due to that:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18709232

Apple was quoted when interviewed about it's loss against HTC using it's slide to unlock patent as stating:

"We think competition is healthy, but competitors should create their own original technology, not steal ours."

Which is pretty funny and incredibly hypocritical when the patent was flawed as the judge in effect recognised Apple stole the slide to unlock idea from this device:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj-KS2kfIr0https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj-KS2kfIr0

----------

Since MacOS X had notifications ten years before Android existed, what makes you think Apple copied Android and not MacOS X?

Because Mac computers don't use touch screens and aren't mobile devices that fit in your pocket perhaps? You are REALLY stretching to attempt to claim Apple didn't rip of the Android notification system in anyway, because it blatantly did.

iSteve-O

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2011
So Apple initially wanted $2 Billion and they got less than 10% of that?

Glad to know even the jury is smart to know their claims are ridiculous. Well done:D

gauchotee

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2013
Outrageous

Samsung should be ordered to pay Apple 100 billion dollars!

Not only will this bankrupt Samsung, it'll bankrupt motorola, LG and HTC as well

15" MacBook Pro (late 2013), 2.0 GHz, 16 GB RAM; iPad Air, 32 GB; iPhone 5s, 32 GB, ipod Classic, ipod nano, Apple TV; Imac 27" Late 2013 3.4 GHz; Macintosh Classic 8 MHz; Magic Mouse: Apple Thunderbolt Display

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Samsung basically copied the whole idea of the iPhone and sold it off as the Samsung Galaxy. The iPhone WAS the first "smartphone" or "touch screen" mobile telephone....every single "smartphone" on the market since then has essentially been a rip off of the iPhone. Apple should be able to make hay on this, I don't see why they're not.

Oh, and what about the multitouch? I thought Apple had a patent on this technology.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
So what happens when Apple copies other vendors like Android notifications or WebOS task control? Or does it only work one way?
It's a patent case. It doesn't work for notification center or voice assistants like Siri. Also, Apple purchased palm patents, didn't steal. Next example?

The Barron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Central California Coast
Absolutely!

Samsung basically copied the whole idea of the iPhone and sold it off as the Samsung Galaxy. The iPhone WAS the first "smartphone" or "touch screen" mobile telephone....every single "smartphone" on the market since then has essentially been a rip off of the iPhone.

Hopefully Apple will "kill it" with the new iPhone 6 in the early fall, update the iPad line & then "go for the gold" with a very high tech, drool worthy, wearable aka the iWatch. :p

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Appeal in 3,2,1…

And so goes the legal circus.

Is it really worth it? The first trial I can understand; it was almost a billion dollars. This here is what Apple will pay Samsung for memory chips in iPhone 6. The more iPhones, iPads and computers Apple sale the more money Samsung makes.

mvmanolov

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2013
Don't forget the various chips and displays you use on a daily basis be it in tv's, blu-ray players, vehicles, washer machines, ect. Just because it doesn't say Samsung doesn't mean that a Samsung component is not inside it. One way or another your giving money to Samsung and you have no choice but to. What are you going to do? Ask the manufacture if a product is Samsung free?

in addition to that Samsung make many great products... i've been using Samsung TV for years and love them... and lets face it how many of us are running 830s 840s 840Pro's and Evo's in our Macs...

i agree that 120m is a bit of slap but wanting a company out of business for patent crap is just silly (at least the way patent law in its current for is)!!!!

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Is it really worth it? The first trial I can understand; it was almost a billion dollars. This here is what Apple will pay Samsung for memory chips in iPhone 6. The more iPhones, iPads and computers Apple sale the more money Samsung makes.

If Apple keeps presenting conflict and battle in court with Samsung, Samsung might just refuse to do business with Apple anymore :eek: ...and turn them away and say NO WAY APPLE - you are our ENEMY

The Barron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Central California Coast
Slap on the wrist (singular)

I bet this verdict isn't big enough to put Samsung completely out of business for good...I wish it had been, though!

Samsung is most likely very happy they got off the hook so easily with this guilty verdict. The fine is chump change for that copy-crazy company.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
It's a patent case. It doesn't work for notification center or voice assistants like Siri. Also, Apple purchased palm patents, didn't steal. Next example?

Proof please, I want you to post proof that Apple bought the patents covering the WebOS system of cards and flicking them off the screen, and who did it buy them from? Palm or HP?

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010

Not only will this bankrupt Samsung, it'll bankrupt motorola, LG and HTC as well

And then you woke up to a room of people using Android phones and tablets!

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5

I think we should just close all companies everywhere big and small, give all of our money and property to Apple and not ask Apple to give us anything in return so that they can maximize their profits. Then, penniless we can starve to death knowing that Apple got everything all humans everywhere could possibly give them. The last guys here alive can post the final hoorays for "our" ultimate victory and some spin about the world being too crowded anyway.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I think we should just close all companies everywhere big and small, give all of our money and property to Apple and not ask Apple to give us anything in return so that they can maximize their profits. Then, penniless we can starve to death knowing that Apple got everything all humans everywhere could possibly give them.

:rolleyes:

Cool story, bro. Good idea!

MattyW

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2014
Sarcasm backfired,

I thought 100 billion was an unthinkable amount of money

It is it's 100,000,000,000$

These companies {not just Samsung} Apple, Google, Microsoft, Samsung exct are just way to big and have so much money that it's terrifying. :D

mvmanolov

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2013
Samsung basically copied the whole idea of the iPhone and sold it off as the Samsung Galaxy. The iPhone WAS the first "smartphone" or "touch screen" mobile telephone....every single "smartphone" on the market since then has essentially been a rip off of the iPhone. Apple should be able to make hay on this, I don't see why they're not.

Oh, and what about the multitouch? I thought Apple had a patent on this technology.

this is just silly... the basic idea that you are arguing for makes no sense!!!!
if we follow your logic, then Bell invented the phone so any company that copied and innovated after that is garbage and should be shot...

yes obviously i am overstating it... but if Samsung was to make better devices than apple (which i personally do not believe that they do) then who cares where they got the ideas from....

the other element of your point is also negated by the fact that while they (samsung) did cheat, they also got fought and paid (what amounts to be by the very rules you explicitly, or implicitly - it does not matter - agree to live by) the price, from here on out keep the games going....

all of this is not to say Bad apple, or bad samsung... just that the while IP strutter is messed up... this particular shenanigan is only one incarnation of this mess...

so it may as well, stop trying to ride a high (apple) horse, and engage in a productive discussion.... because the reality is that saying Apple was first and shame on you copiers only hold as long as apple makes the better product....

if (hopefully not), but if apple goes by the way of blackberry people will soon start forgetting what iPhone is, and no one will care that they were "the first" (which can also be argued... though i tend to agree about the monumental change iPhone actually was...)... "the king is dead, long live the king" is not just a saying....

But anyways, who cares about all of this anyways...:confused:
All we get to do, is enjoy giving our money to whichever company makes the device that appeals to us at that given moment then spend countless hours, days, whatever defending that company as if it was our own family business to other people who to us appear nothing but fools, as we to them...

Rant over... now to go play with my iPhone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.