Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Interesting.

Cnet say 2.3 BN
The Verge say 1.051BN

EDIT:

Cnet now revised to match the Verge's figure.

xanagu

macrumors member
May 28, 2012
1337968718510.jpg

&
1000pxavpwhoeverwinswel.jpg

Last edited:

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Another overexcited and underinformed Apple fan. Samsung has order of magnitude more patents than Apple. Not a single court outside US has awarded anything to Apple in its patent war against Android (and Nokia to that matter) so far.
So what was the Korea thing about? Did they find both companies infringed on each other and award some token damage money?

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
The only winners... The lawyers.

Corporate greed at it's finest. Who's next? HTC? Nokia? The millions of Chinese KIRF's?

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
How did they "tie" in Korea but Apple wins in the US?

The same way that the Chairman of Samsung was found guilty of tax evasion and financial crimes, but was then pardoned by the Korean government, then got his job back! Korea is run by their corporations.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Next: Out of court settlement for Google to pay fees on every Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, and image of Eric.

How ya doing Eric? Sleep well. :apple:

Have you seen a single Android device manufactured by Google? You have not. That's why Apple is not even suing Google. Google (Motorola) on the other hand is suing Apple so if anybody there will pay something it will be Apple.

Melab

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2011
The trade dress is a bit of a setback, though. Only the original and 3G are protected. I guess the 3GS and 4 designs aren't protectable.

Err, where did you read this? You mean trade dress as in color patterns, correct?

cms2

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2007
Texas
This is great day for innovation. The desire and cost to innovate is lost when your innovations are not protected from being stolen. Why innovate when you can copy.

Exactly. The patent is one of the foundations of American prosperity, and has been since the very beginning of this country.

Apple just opened a can of worms.And the sleeping giant. If they have Google, Samsung, HTC, LG and several others gunning after them...they just might regret this.

Um... I think the can of worms Apple just opened is called "precedent." In our system, it's a good thing to have on your side.

Limboistik

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2011
If this get further than this, what foreign company do you think will operate in the USA? What do you think it will do with all the factories that makes the cheap Iphone you like to buy or the cheap computers you want to buy?

Ya you mean the 1 plant Samsung has in the US? LOL.
Manufacturing infrastructure in the US is not a big market.

Sensation

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2012
Just shows what a shambles the American courts are, in other countries crap like this would never stand. Now await tonnes of appealing joy. Just go back to stealing ideas Apple its what you do best.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
Excuse my ignorance, but why is Samsung paying for the damages when Android infringed on the software side? Isn't android owned by google? :confused:

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
I figure that Google is intended "evil" that Apple wants to wage war with. And Apple will probably sue them next.

My question is.. what happens when Apple destroys all iPhone look-a-likes, and has a monopoly?

Simple: they will start innovating their asses out of it.

Besides, monopolies arising out of one's own merit and innovation have NEVER been illegal in most civilized jurisdictions. Abuse of dominant positions is.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
Who'd thunk Prevail, a cheap prepaid phone will be the most signifant carrier model in this lawsuit?

But Samsung really took the brunt end of defeat. I didn't expect it to be so one-sided.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
And while we're at it: SUCK IT DROIDTARDS!

Android is DEAD. And Google is NEXT.

This only affects some samsung products and cash.

Apple doesn't have **** on google.

And android is dead....as it steams ahead of ios with a million activations a day.

This is going to be a long boring appeal process

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
A bad day for Apple Haters everywhere.

Shame your favorite South Korean cloning conglomerate was revealed for what they really are.

Maybe now the HTCs and Nokias of the world have a chance.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Read my signature...

In case you missed it...Here it is 3 times.

Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."

Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.