Just a tip for when there is a storm!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Hamoodi, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Hamoodi macrumors member

This applies to all electronics I guess, but ALWAYS have a surge protector. But usually whenever it is raining I will shutdown my iMac and unplug it just incase. But an hour ago it was not even raining and my power just shut off. I was scared, but thank god my iMac is ok. Just a tip lol.

2. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

Old But Exellent

Advice. All my kit is surge protected, £££££££ worth of electronics protected for a pittance. It's a no brainer, but it's surprising how many people don't do it!

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Get a PROPER surge protector. A cheap crappy one won't do anything.

Look for one by a reputable company that offers insurance for all devices connected to it.

4. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I use Brickwall Filters on all my electronics. Expensive yes, but well worth the piece of mind.

http://www.brickwall.com/

5. Hamoodi thread starter macrumors member

I got my surge protector at Best Buy. It said the company offers $100,000 worth of protection.

----------

WTF. $500 for a surge protector? That is tooooo much. But it does the job very well I assume. I will not buy those lol :D:p

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Screw surge protectors.
    Go big or go home.

[​IMG]

UPS backup system
    :eek:

7. quizzi macrumors regular

quizzi

This is when the trusty old MacBook or the good old iPad comes in handy. ;)

8. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

You certainly don't have to go that big. I'm very happy with my Cyberpower unit at only 1/3rd the cost of the model you posted:

[​IMG]

But yea, UPS are the way go if you use your iMac as a productive machine. Otherwise, a solid surge protector with a high joule rating is a very wise investment for any Mac setup.

9. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

I'd recommend a UPS for your computer and a surge protector for other electronics.

10. Texran macrumors regular

Buy a decent UPS and whole house surge protector.

11. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1 for a UPS.

My friend had his brand new iMac destroyed because of a surge (it also took out his TV and toaster). Luckily Apple simply replaced it for him (he even told them what happened, talk about customer service!)

Now he has a UPS.

12. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

YES YES YES to everyone's posts!

My family's iMac's hard drive died last month when the power went out. Sent a shock of some sort through the computer. We were using some really REALLY old surge protector, so it wasn't a surprise.

If you get an expensive electronic device, you MUST buy good surge protection

13. punchdrunk55 macrumors member

I have a few of the UPS battery backup and surge protector things plugged into all of the major components around the house. Now I know that the battery's are dead in them (few years old) but does the surge protector side of things still work well enought or should I upgrade. Anybody understand what I am talking about.

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

LOL I just noticed I posted a pretty big UPS. You're right, that size definitely is not necessary, but UPSes are the way to go. They also work nice with TVs too. Not really necessary, but definitely worth the $50, if you ask me. Especially since I live in a place power goes out every now and then, it's worthwhile.

15. basher macrumors 6502

basher

16. wxman2003, Aug 22, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011

wxman2003 Suspended

I did a test when I first got it a month ago. I have my iMac set to shutdown after 15 minutes when on UPS. I tested it and it shutdown 15 minutes later after I unplugged unit from wall, and the battery indicator was still green. It is advertised to run for 45 minutes for one computer, but I never pushed it that far. 15 minutes is plenty of time for me to close out programs.

17. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

My UPS died awhile back. It was just shutting the power off to the plugs at random times! The second time it did it to my daughter in th middle of typing a school paper.... It had to go.

I need to get another one "soon", but the budget hasn't allowed it (and I know it is cheaper than rreplacing everything attached, but it is what it is, and I couldn't replace much of what is over there either right now).

18. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I'm always confused when people try to protect their electronics via a surge protector, but stop half way there. If you actually intend on protecting your device(s), you need to also protect any ethernet, coax, or any other electrical interface connected via wires.

I've seen only one power supply that had clamped varistors inside (indicating a surge occurred), but I've seen several damaged motherboards via ethernet port.

19. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Same here. I have two dead UPS' laying on the floor right now.
    I know I'm shooting myself in the foot with this, especially living in Florida (Hello hurricane Irene :rolleyes:), but can't really replace them right now.

20. gab2012 macrumors member

I just got a new 21.5 iMac and hurricane Irene passed by Puerto Rico today.

My APC UPS (the cheap 350v model) kept my imac and modem alive for 10 mins(I was in the middle of transferring stuff when the power went out). Then I was able to safely shut down :D

21. wxman2003 Suspended

Glad to hear that! $40 is a cheap investment for protecting a $1200+ piece of electronics. All things being equal, a more wise investment than Applecare, which I also have. In fact, it's thundering here right now, and I am not worried.

22. PsyOpWarlord macrumors 6502

PsyOpWarlord

I'm a firm believer in UPS also. Have several powering almost everything I have thats electronic.
    I have a GeekSquad 1500, APC 1300, APC 1300, APC 900 and APC 350.

23. gab2012 macrumors member

Yeah I've got apple care also :)

the only thing I'm worried about in this machine is replacing the hard drive if it goes bad after 3 years, hopefully by then there will be a guide on doing so:D

24. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

Ridiculous and unnecessary waste.