Just an observation. Let the hatin' begin.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by oneofthesedaves, Sep 10, 2011.

1. oneofthesedaves macrumors regular

I have an iPad 1. I like it. Not sure how anyone could possibly need technical assistance with it...unless you are elderly and have never used a computer before. There was a group of old people in a circle of chairs at the Apple store the other day trying to learn how to use their iPad, and one Apple employee in the middle. I think old people would be happier if they each had an iPad. They would die happier.

-Jack Handy

2. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Nope

Me either:confused:

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Glad it wasn't just me...
    :confused:

5. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

So you are complaining that old people were getting help with an iPad at the Apple Store yet you say you don't understand how anyone could need help unless they are old?

Yeah makes sense.:rolleyes:

6. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

Sounds like there may be some alcohol involved...

7. oneofthesedaves thread starter macrumors regular

Have you ever seen an episode of Saturday Night Live during the mid 1990's?
    They had a sketch called "Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy"

This should give you a frame of reference if you have not seen any of thesehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ax96iVmTCI

----------

I like that old people are getting help using the iPad. I think that they should all have one. I just can't for the life of me figure out why there are so many people who obviously grew up using computers asking technical questions in this forum about the iPad.

8. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I can see that. Whew. Thought I needed some alcohol to make sense of it. :p

Going back even farther with the non-sequitur was Rosanna Rosannadanna: (after very funny bit about quitting smoking, spas, and Dr. Joyce Brothers) It just goes to show ya! It's always somethin'! If it's not one thing, it's another! Either you smoke or you have a sweat ball hangin' off your nose! ...

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

...ok

Attached Files:

10. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Well Sometimes

The iPad does do weird things....Usually it's iTunes thats the culprit, but I have to say I can understand older folks needing help with THAT. It's not the most user friendly application Apple has ever written. Just try explaining to a newbie that you can't delete your photos or music without syncing and unpicking the relevant box in iTunes. They are bound to be confused. The device itself is pretty user friendly but iTunes isn't.....Just hope they improve the interface one of these day's.

11. oneofthesedaves thread starter macrumors regular

what is that?

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Mon visage in reaction to this thread.

13. oneofthesedaves thread starter macrumors regular

And it means?

14. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It is said, that a picture is worth 1000 words.... so, take from it what you want.

15. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

16. oneofthesedaves thread starter macrumors regular

Napoleon said that. And he died a long time before someone drew an expressionless stick figure holding a monitor.

17. Slip Jigs, Sep 10, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2011

Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

Sometimes it takes a little baitin' to bring out the hatin.

I find it offensive that people of a certain age are referred to as "old people" and that they're perceived as being stupid because the natual effect of the aging process sometimes slows down mental as well as physical capabilities.

You in essence just said, if stupid people can figure it out, so can anybody.

But you also have to consider that people of a certain generation were not raised on computers and video games. Even taking age out of the equation, the person or persons who thought it was a good idea to make the VCR clock to blink shoild have been - severly punished. Sure, you can't set the VCR to record without first setting the clock, but didn't they consider that if someone wanted to use that functionality they would not only have to set the click, but navigate the cryptic menus as well?

I spent 15 years of my life working in nursing homes, so forgive me my sensitivity. Anyone who wants them to "die happy" , get motivated and volunteer, or buy them iPads yourself. There are other things than iPads that make them happy, quick story.

It was movie day, and those that could, came out to the activity room to watch the weekly feature. The tapes were often donated or loaned, some were store bought, other were copies or recorded from the TV. Well, it seems that on this one day, the movie was provided on a previously used tape. The movie ended, and, well, it seems that someone had neglected to erase the remaining, previous content that originally occupied the the tape.

I'm sure you've guessed by now what that original content consisted of. Those in the audience who may have appeared disinterested, or even sleeping, sat bolt upright in their high back chairs, eyes wide open and jaws dropped. Luckily, or unluckily, depending on your point of view, the activity director switched it off after about 20 seconds.

No one died as a result, but as far as being happy in your golden years, the iPad does have many uses!

18. UserName macrumors member

Alcohol? Yeah... right... o_O

19. DefBref macrumors 6502

20. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Yeahsomovingswiftlyon, iOS 5 should rock, when it finally drops, eh?

21. knucklehead macrumors 6502a

The internet :

Where different senses of humor either collide, or simply drive past each other.

Lovin this thread.

22. E.Lizardo macrumors 65816

Saturday night live is produced by a team of highly trained professionals.Under no circumstances should you try to duplicate their performances at home.

In other words,you're no Jack Handy.

23. labman macrumors 604

labman

Truer Words were never said!!!!! :D

24. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover