Just bought New but old

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rm2092, Oct 17, 2008.

1. rm2092 macrumors 6502

rm2092

I just left the Apple store and was not to impressed with the new Macbooks at all. I currently have the Black Mackbook witch is a great machine and regreted buying the Pro. Anyways I left the Apple store and ended up at Best Buy and bought a new Pro but the last version at $1799.00 witch is the same price On Apples clearance page. I just like the old style better. If the new style was all black that would of been sweet oh well.

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

You bought an inferior product with a faulty graphics card because you didn't like the color?

Why do consumers who buy computers for curb appeal buy pro machines!? Have fun surfing youtube and updating your facebook.

3. rm2092 thread starter macrumors 6502

rm2092

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

5. rm2092 thread starter macrumors 6502

rm2092

Anyways there are two disks included does the second disk have any other programs that are not installed on the computer allready ?

6. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

well not ALL 100% graphics are faulty and if yours is, its a good thing that apple officially recognized this as a problem so you made a good choice
    i got the new mbp but the glossy is w/e for me
    i had a matte screen (the 24" imac, :D!) so this glossy is taking me some getting used to

the reflections dont bother me like how everyone is complaining but yeah

7. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

It's funny because that is my argument for not buying the new ones. Being perfectly happy and quite able to do my work on my 2.5 MBP, I'm not going to buy a new one for a few cosmetic things. Plus - I have two years of intensive GPU use to ensure it won't kick the bucket.

By default it has everything you will get on it.
    Only if you do a clean install, do you need to use the other disk to get some of the iLife apps back. You would have to do that after the regular Leo install.

8. sk47 macrumors member

to be honest, he does have a valid point. You pretty much bought a machine that apple admitted would have a faulty graphics card, which spells only trouble in the future. If you can live with that idea always lingering at the back of your mind, then all is good with you. I personally can't stand that...

and plus, the new version freakin owns with its black on chrome design.

9. Bobeder9 macrumors member

Black on Chrome?? Which MBP are you looking at?

10. bushbaby macrumors 6502

bushbaby

I can't either. I'm glad you guys brought it up because I think a lot of these buyers don't know about the faulty gpu problem. It is an admitted problem and experts say they will all go bad at one point or another. If it goes back 2 years and 1 day after it was first purchased, then they are not going to repair it for free.

And your resale value is greatly reduced...

11. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

I knew about the GPU problem, but I bought one anyways. I'll pick up the Apple Care as well so I'll have 3 years of coverage in case there is an issue. If something does happen, I'll get it fix or it will get replace. And most likely I'll sell it before the 3 years is up.

And who is to say that the video cards in the new one may not end up faulty as well?

12. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

I bought my Pro last week knowing all about the GPU issue. I can see your point if these were out of warranty and you only had the extra GPU warranty recently given by Apple but my machine (as well as the OPs, I assume) are eligible for 3 total years - the same as one of the new style of books. And it was less.

I don't get how you can say it is an inferior product. Why, because it isn't the absolute newest update? Please, I just bought a mini G4 this week, which runs perfectly fine.

13. Encanto macrumors regular

Okay guys, I have a quick question. Please my accept my apologies if this question has been asked, I just bought a refurbished Macbook Pro for $1349.00 After reading some forums, I am concern that the macbook I bought is not the model before the new update. Is there a way I can find out if its the model before the new updates or not? Oh and is the space bar key has to be press in the middle of the key to make it work? Thank you in advance.

14. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Did you buy it directly from Apple.com? If so, you likely have an early 2008 version, so yes it would be the last version. Can it do pinch to zoom out, twirl gestures for rotate, etc. on the trackpad? That would be the early 2008 version. If you do have an "official" Apple reconditioned product, that is a good price. On the spacebar - No, shouldn't have to press in the middle of the key to make it work. If it's sticking, take it to the closest Apple store, and have them take care of it. It should have a normal brand-new warranty.

15. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I take it your talking about the ridiculous 1" black bezel that looks like, well like crap.

If the new version "owns" then why does that not reflect in bench mark tests. The only thing that reflects on it is the screen.

16. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Well, more than a few of us would be under the impression this guy did make the right decision, and ended up with an actual pro machine, not some extended version of the Macbook series of bling/bling fashion statement PC lookalike computers. The fact is, nobody knows how reliable the new machines are going to be. There are already reports of dust getting between the glass and the screen, giving people fits and already griping and returning the units as if it's a warranty issue. Hmmm, looks more like a basic design flaw, which you'll have to live with on the new machines. What else might crop up? How about that newfangled chipset, untested so far in the field... designed by... hmmm.... nVidia. Aren't they the same folks all you MBP GPU blasters have been wanting blood from, even if your own MBP still works fine? Who knows, right? The last generation MBPs certainly are a better value pricewise, and some folks would say, stylewise, too. No real sacrifice in performance, and the option of a matte display and DVI port, two FW ports, 400 and 800. No need to slow the FW800 port down with FW400 peripherals. One machine still speaks "pro," the new one speaks "consumer" (glossy, chicklet keys, loss of ports, all about shiny looks like pc laptops in discount stores.) Ask yourself whether you depend on your laptop to earn a living or it's just a toy for you to web surf and post to your MySpace, watch YouTube vids, too, like you criticized the OP for doing. If you do depend on it as a work tool, the fashion crap will just not matter, and the ridiculous changes for the sake of trendy/bling-bling eye candy appeal just won't cut it with you. Otherwise, you should love the new model just fine.

What I'm saying is one choice (previous generation) is battle-tested over the years, the design is classic, it's a workhorse, and the known issues are out there, and acknowledged. It isn't 100% failure for the GPU, despite some "experts" punditry to the contrary. Mine still works. No problems. I know lots of other examples of folks who have had exactly ZERO problems with our MBP, of any type. Many examples of this.

It's just statistically not true that all MBP GeForce8600M GT GPUs will fail within 2 years under normal use. Or 3 years, or even 4. A certain run of the chips had some problems, but not necessarily all of them. Apple knows when the possibly affected GPUs were used, and probably has all the serial numbers already in their database waiting to see how many actually fail. I have no doubt that all the faulty ones will be replaced without charge when this all sorts itself out.

To me, the last generation MBP has been a reliable tool so far, and historically it has been for years. It looks great, is a solid professional tool, and sure didn't need the superficial glitz to become it's signature feature. Lose the black cheap plastic keyboard, black shiny bezel and mirrored display, bring back 2nd FW port, DVI port, but keep the rest of the new stuff, like solid frame, new dual video card system, faster RAM, etc. This shouldn't have been that complicated, Apple. Just listen to your customers who already used the pro product, and give the consumers their model, too. How hard would that have been?

17. sk47 macrumors member

lol dude u can be grumpy all u want, but the fact remains that the new ver looks superior to the old one. whateva to each his own, personally now having seen/touched the new mbp, the plastic seams and all the holes and screws on the old mbp make IT look like crap. not to mention the comparatively DULL color scheme.

18. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

Graphics card is old news

People, If Apple has admitted that there was a problem with the GPU, and has since REFURBISHED the computer, don't you think they would spend the $50 cost to replace the motherboard with one that doesn't have a defective chip?

The graphics card was an issue for people who bought it before this went public, but Apple being the tight company it is, extended the warranty for that component.

There's no more problem! This is no longer an issue for those who bought a Refurb/Clearance MBP (PG).

Congratulations for all those who bought the old MBP! You made the smart decision, IMHO.

19. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

One more thing

PS, the title of this thread should be "Just bought new but CLASSIC".

20. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

congrats! you just bought one of the best laptops ever made.:cool:

21. bushbaby macrumors 6502

bushbaby

Hi. This is the million dollar question (actually more like 200 mil).

Yes, it is logical but so far Apple has not said that they have. No one has gotten a straight answer on this.

I would really like to hear official word that Apple has done this. Replaced all the refurbs and clearances (whether or not they exhibited failure signs) with a non 8600. If anyone can find this out definitively, you'll be the new hero.

Without a statement to the fact, we are left to believe they have not. And they are just waiting for these recent and current buyers of the refurbs and clearance machines to call in with a failure complaint -- just like they are doing for all the people who bought these throughout 08 (and part of 07).

22. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

How is it no longer an issue? There are people saying that they got the repair done only to have the new GPU go south on them as well. That leaves me with little trust in the 8600M GT.

There are also people saying that Apple has denied them the free repair, saying that some other element (not the GPU) is to blame.

23. sk47 macrumors member

To my knowledge, the manufacturing of the 8600 was the source of the defects, so replacing the previous mainboard with a new one is pretty much swapping out a faulty for another faulty.

And second, just because it is refurbished does NOT guarantee a non-faulty 8600 (assuming the 8600 issue was fixed from the manufacturing source). The volume of faulty 8600s that are available will more than exceed non-faulty 8600s at this point, because production of 8600s began such a long time ago, and right now many notebooks are in transition phase to better mid-range cards in place of 8600 so fewer of them are being made.

And btw, you speak of the warranty... Sure they'll replace your mainboard for a new one. But what about my dad's 8600 mbp that went faulty AGAIN (twice) after successive replacements? Faulty for faulty, trust me...

24. jam007 macrumors newbie

I just picked up the "old" MBP (256mb video) for $1,444 after $150 rebate from Amazon. Free shipping and no sales tax! Better then the apple.com student discount which would have cost me $1,515 w/ CA sales tax. I'll just put the $71 I saved towards 4gb of RAM from Crucial or OWC. It even has the matte finish!

So I went to apple store today cause my iPhone was giving me trouble (no cell phone signal) just after 30 days of owning it. They replaced it no questions asked, but after I checked out the new MBP's and as much as I would like one I didn't think they we're THAT much better then the old one. I really like the look of the old one much better as well, but looks shouldn't be the main reason. The video card was the main thing that was getting my attention but I couldn't justify spending $611 MORE for the new one ($2,055 w/ student discount + CA sales tax for the 256mb video card version).

I hope the 8600 video card issue does not bite me in the ass but I'll pick up the applecare for $239 to cover me for 3 years.

I also checked out the MB and although I was impressed at first, the lack of firewire (4 & 8) plus no express card so I can use an ESATA card just sealed the deal in not picking it. I'm going to be doing video so I need the ports.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MB133LL...ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=pc&qid=1224364781&sr=1-1

My first mac in over 10 years. I've been saying I'm getting a MBP for about 2 or 3 years now but I kept waiting for the "new one" and I finally pulled the trigger on the last model. Go figure. I guess money talks. It will good to be back. :D

25. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I just found one at one of the technology shops floating around Japan, though I paid the equivalent of $1300 (without tax), it's the last reversion with a 2.5Ghz CPU, 512MB Gfx blah.... However there's one unexpected feature I got.. and I'm notsure how to over come it....

[​IMG]

My keyboard layout is the Japanese one, other than the standard QWERTY with more functions per key, all the other keys are in the wrong place!! Annoying the hell outta me :( Do you think I can get the keyboard changed if i goto the AppleStore? Though I didn't buy the system from them... perhaps I'll have to pay?