Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

enochpeng

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
If you brought it from the AppleStore (brick and mortar version) you can return it, you have 14 days to exchange due to unsatisfactory, imperfections (excludes dead pixels), refund etc... If you seek a refund, depending on which country your in, they might charge 10% restocking fee cause it's been opened.

Personally, if i was you, i'd goto the store where you brought it from and complain, chances are they will just swap it out for you cause you brought it new. The longer you wait, the harder it'll be!

I will take it in tomorrow morning... i'm just worry that they won't give me an exchange...

tcphoto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
Madison, GA
I would take it back to the store and ask for a replacement. If they do not exchange it I am confident that Apple Customer Relations will. Mine has a small nick on the right side but not large enough to be concerned. I did notice the two spots on my speakers but iKlear took care of those.

AndyCro

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
That would be classed as damaged goods.

Need I say any more?

You dont know what caused that dent, it may also have affected the internals.

TooSixy

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2008
USA
If you're going to pay almost 3K for a laptop, you should be happy with it. Visible dents and dings out of the box are NOT acceptable...
Ditto! I would return it and exchange for another one, and I would open the box to examine it before leaving the store.

alanlindsay

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2008
The worry is now, since there is no Apple store in BC Canada, the only one I will be able to contact is the campus computer store I bought the machine from. What happens if they refused to give me a new one. Can I still contact Apple? or should I contact Apple first before I visit the store?

There's an Apple store in Downtown Vancouver. Pacific centre.

http://www.apple.com/ca/retail/pacificcentre/

robby818

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
More pictures

My first MBP had uneven Function keys. I noticed it immediately when I opened the lid. So I did an exchange and got one that has most of the f keys flat but the DVD drive would not read discs properly so I had to do another return. MBP#3 has F keys that have a slight tilt, which I can live with. I took a quick look at the MBPs in the store and they all have some degree of unevenness on the top row of keys.

dissdnt

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
Sorry but dropping over 2k on something and it not being perfect, BRING IT BACK!

You'll just get more and more pissed off about it. Don't let them bully you at the apple store either.

r88my

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
Manchester UK
Despite how insignificant some people here are treating these issues, you should definitely take it back. You've spent a lot of your hard earned cash on this thing, which happens to be the dogs b****cks, not some £200 laptop. Imagine if you took delivery of a brand new car and there was even a small dent/scratch on it - would that be acceptable?

enochpeng

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
Ok... here is the update.

I took it back as soon as I finish my classes today, and REFUSED to give me an exchange and just took down some notes about the problems and told me to wait for their calls.

I thought that's BS....but I had no choice but leave. I guess now I just have to wait for their answer tomorrow.

This is becoming even more frustrating... They said they can only do an exchange if the machine doesn't boot up, otherwise it has to be done through warranty or Applecare. I think that's non-sense ... but what can I do...

7even

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008

I took it back as soon as I finish my classes today, and REFUSED to give me an exchange and just took down some notes about the problems and told me to wait for their calls.

I thought that's BS....but I had no choice but leave. I guess now I just have to wait for their answer tomorrow.

This is becoming even more frustrating... They said they can only do an exchange if the machine doesn't boot up, otherwise it has to be done through warranty or Applecare. I think that's non-sense ... but what can I do...

That's how our campus store is.. :(
I think real Apple stores are friendlier when it comes to this kind of thing.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005

Did they at least give you some lube before they made you bend over?

I would have demanded a refund if they pulled that schit on me.

JBazz

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2006
Please help... I'm so screwed and don't know what to do now....

How are you "so screwed"? If that is all that is wrong with your notebook, then you might need to see a doc and get some anti-anxiety pills or something. Seriously.

enochpeng

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
Ok...i called Apple, and was been transferred from here to there back and forth a few times. and they told me to take it to the local authorized service provider (which turns out to be the campus computer store I purchased at - luckily)...Now I guess I've no other option than wait for the answer.

BTW how can i reach Apple's customer relation line?

Thanks

iMetalG5

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2005
i dont know about others but mine was has dents in it as well but i'm unsure if its from me or if it was like that out of the box. i assume its me though. i would be curious to see if the will offer an exchange though...

omgwut

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2006
Wow dude, you're being totally OCD anal, especially over that "dent".

Just keep it, your notebook is going to look like that within three months time anyway unless you're one of those nutballs who wrap their devices in plastic protectors every night and wear rubber gloves and glass solution before they pick hairs off of the screen.

Just keep it, your notebook is going to look like that within three months time anyway unless you're one of those nutballs who wrap their devices in plastic protectors every night and wear rubber gloves and glass solution before they pick hairs off of the screen.

You're kidding, right?

You mean they charge you top dollar for something that has been assembled by workers with less idea than trained monkeys, and you simply bend over and say thanks?

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
It's not like he bought a Big Mac

Dude, it's not like he bought a Big Mac. Macbook Pro's are actually supposed to look like the pictures. By the same logic, would you be fine if you bought a new BMW and it came with a scratch and a little dent?

vkt

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2008
Portland, OR
lol this thread is quite amusing. I'm honestly shocked that there's Apple people who say "its not a big deal, just live with it." Since when is a MBP a utilitarian notebook that should be thrown around and not babied? Is the aesthetic not half the reason people pay 3 grand for the damn laptop. There is NO way the people who are saying "deal with it" would actually do that if they owned one.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
i think those are shadows under the speaker grills. if you take an old macbook pro under the right lighting conditions, you can see the speakers and holes for the ambient light sensors. laser cutting should be even more precise than the way they cut the holes for the old macbook pro so that shouldn't be a factor. but man, those function keys are pissing me off just looking at them.

also, this is not what i would consider ocd. i don't take care of my macbook pro as if it were a baby, i use it like a tool, but if i saw a dent in my $2000 new computer, i would freak out too.

enochpeng

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
Thanks a lot guys for your tips and inputs.

Some of you are saying to live with those imperfections, and I think there is nothing wrong do demand a perfect notebook when you spend close to 25K. I love Apple because of the design and quality...

I'm so anxious now...I 'm afraid that they offer me nothing tomorrow. Do you guys think I should contact Apple if they really try to be mean to me. Who should I talk to?

palebluedot

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
This is what happens when you worship a company that pays girls in China a dollar a day to make your 3,000 dollar computer.

(And I own an Apple so I can be cynical with out the fanboys linking me to PR releases or something)

(edit) Although I do sympathize. When I dented my MBP the first time a few month ago I freaked out. But you'll get over it. It's OS X that is a beauty to use - the computer just looks beautiful on top of that and a dent wont take that away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.