Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
When you become a parent your childrens needs should be a priority over your own. Why this news is worthy of a thread on a mac forum is beyond my understanding.
Why buy in the first place if you have other priorities.

Tensakun

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
Akashi, Japan
For 4 1/2 years I have been using a Retina Macbook Pro... it has served me well....So I have been sitting here at my desk with my 4 1/2 year old Macbook pro and realizing that besides the larger hard drive it can do everything that the new one can do that I need it to. It has lasted me 4 1/2 years and is still working fine... so I am going to keep what I have. And with two clicks I canceled my Macbook Pro order from Apple.

I am sad because I like new technology but I am happy because my wife does not have to worry about the holidays anymore. I can always get one later after the holidays.

Although I've been a rabid fanboy since my b/w Powerbook 165, I respect your decision to put family first. After filling up your Christmas tree to the level you feel right, put the rest in an MBP fund and add to it what you can from each pay check. Who knows--you might get a better deal on a better machine next spring. Everyone wins.

Reactions: AdonisSMU

dj23andMe

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2016
Seattle, WA
Spent time at my local Apple store comparing the Macbook Pro 13 keyboard with MBA 13 and MBP 2015 models. The new KBs will really take some getting used to, especially for all day heavy users. I have a feeling Apple may see returns surge, and you can pick up a discounted model after the holidays.

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
Actually nothing which is another reason why I canceled. It's balancing wants vs needs, I wanted it but dont need it.

For the person who asked about my kids, one is 22 and in UCONN and the other is 13. The $22 year olds wants a gaming machine which can do VR.

As far as what do I do, well I report on television technology. travel to plases like CED and report from the events including video reports and do a lot of video editing as well as doing audio editing for my reports which air on radio stations around the country.

I am not a plant just giving my honest opinion on why I canceled.
Good dad, but regarding the 22y kid, I wouldn't mind, he is already an adult.
With 21y I just got (planed) father, and was fully independent.
He should be already earning money, at least a bit by doing some part-time job, so he can save it for the VR machine.

Working and learning to save money is also important.
I would give him additional money to buy the VR machine, but not fully pay it...

Last edited:
Reactions: melman101

GalaDaliGirl

Suspended
Sep 19, 2014
If your 4.5 year old laptop does everything you need, why feel the need to buy a completely maxed out 2016 version? Just get the base model

My iPhone 6 works perfectly fine too. Which is why I refuse to be a jacksss with a 7.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If your 4.5 year old laptop does everything you need, why feel the need to buy a completely maxed out 2016 version? Just get the base model
Perhaps so the next laptop will last at least 4.5 years. Just because it may run decent in year 1 doesn't mean it will be configured for the long haul. Given the expense of the machines, I think its important to try to project what the usage demands may be beyond year 1. True, its hard to discern the future but knowing you use the machine, you can get a feel of what configuration that will work for short and long term.

Reactions: apolausta

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
Good choice, and it's a sacrifice your family may not appreciate, but it is a small thing that shows how much you value them.

I had a similar choice recently about replacing my broken dslr - the top of the range would be fantastic, and I'd have so much fun with it, but in the end I went for an older used model, and saved the rest of the cash for a family holiday.

Tech v people ...... no choice really.....

aoaaron

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
When you become a parent your childrens needs should be a priority over your own. Why this news is worthy of a thread on a mac forum is beyond my understanding.

Thank you.

My father never bought himself a proper present for 18 years, definitely not a $4000 laptop when money was short. His priority was always his children & getting us into medical school.

Reactions: myscrnnm and SVTM

iSilentP

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2011
OHIO USA
Happy wife > Happy life. You did the only right thing. Technology comes and goes. Family is for ever. I recently upgraded my MBP by adding SSD which made quite noticeable difference for a much reasonable cost/value proposition.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008

This... and you don't need a bunch of dongles to go with it

ArchimeZix

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2014
Milky Way
t-shirt-marriage-game-over-men-s-t-shirt.jpg

Reactions: cpnotebook80

msh

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
SoCal
I dunno..I'm sure this won't be a popular opinion, but it's not like your kids aren't getting any presents, which shouldn't be what the holidays are about anyway. I would keep the laptop since this will be something you have earned and will use for the next 5 years, where as those presents will be forgotten or thrown aside in a month (assumption-I obviously don't know your kids). It's not like this laptop will keep food off the table or is coming out of their college fund. Just my 2 c.
Scrooge, let Tiny Tim have his operation will ya?!

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
For 4 1/2 years I have been using a Retina Macbook Pro... it has served me well.

But after 4 1/2 years I was ready for something new. After the big event I immediately ordered a brand new 15 Inch Macbook Pro with the fastest CPU and video card, and a 1 TB drive and Applecare.

The total for it with tax was almost $4,000.00.

When I told my wife how much I spent she almost killed me... but she said if I wanted it, it was ok and that I deserve a laptop.

Over the past few days I noticed she was putting together a list for the kids for Christmas and noticed the list was much smaller this year and I asked her why and she told me that my laptop order took most of the holiday money put away. That made me sad.

So I have been sitting here at my desk with my 4 1/2 year old Macbook pro and realizing that besides the larger hard drive it can do everything that the new one can do that I need it to. It has lasted me 4 1/2 years and is still working fine... so I am going to keep what I have. And with two clicks I canceled my Macbook Pro order from Apple.

I am sad because I like new technology but I am happy because my wife does not have to worry about the holidays anymore. I can always get one later after the holidays.
You're a great parent just like my own parents. They are wonderful.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
This thread just goes to show that the new MBP isn't mind blowing, even when compared to one from 2012. That was the key takeaway for me. Now, if he needed a new laptop, this story wouldn't have ever been posted in the first place.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
Huge respect for you OP! You made an excellent decision. You will be rewarded for your efforts.

As for me, I cancelled my order today too. It saddened me when I clicked the button, but I know it was the right decision. For me, the new MacBook Pro does not meet my needs as a working photographer and videographer...and it darn sure won't meet my needs 2 years from now...so Apple lost my business on this one.

I'm already weighing the options and moving on.

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
This thread just goes to show that the new MBP isn't mind blowing, even when compared to one from 2012. That was the key takeaway for me. Now, if he needed a new laptop, this story wouldn't have ever been posted in the first place.

it really isn't that much of an upgrade and I think it is a buy only if you need it. It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of people are cancelling orders as they got excited at launch and have realised they don't actually need it.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I think if people saw the landfills that these laptops end up in, they would double think their purchases. There is a phenomenal documentary on this somewhere on the internet. Just because you don't see it here, doesn't mean it's not happening. We are filling 3rd world countries with our junk.

No need to dump you old hardware in the rubbish; there are many charities that will gladly accept old notebooks etc. My hardware I either gift to family & friends, or pass to a children's charity via friend. I currently have a ThinkPad T430u which will be going that way. Even if you remove the hard drive for security reasons, the machine can be cheaply and easily repurposed for several years to come, serving those with lesser or greater needs as the case may be.

Q-6

Last edited:
Reactions: Ulenspiegel
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.