Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Just a wee update - I went into my local Apple Store today to take a look at the models on display. Of the three on display, two reported they had an LSN screen whereas the other just reported Color LCD which makes me think it's some other manufacturer - perhaps LG or maybe some other company entirely.

I ended up buying another 2.3GHz model in store and this one's screen is pretty much perfect - all screens have some level of uniformity variation but I can't detect any issues on this one with the naked eye. I checked and it's a Samsung display, but it looks significantly better than the 2.3GHz model I got online.

Good screens are out there!

Funny enough i went to the Apple store today too. Checked out display models 5 screens were perfect, 3 were my type of screen.

I'm gonna return this one and reorder. I can't buy in store because of the education discounts i get through my University network.

I simply can't accept my current screen knowing there are better displays out there. Even from the same manufacturer!

Blizzardman

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
Gilbert, Arizona
1TB (+512) for +$660 in Aus ($500 US), I can get a new PC, PS4, XBOX1, flight to another country... with that.

Who "really" needs 1TB in their lap?

I must really be weird because between my ~70GB music, tons of iTunes/ripped movies, podcasts, countless games, VMs, and years worth of videos/pictures I tend to fill up 1TB fairly quickly. I tend to take the "Pro" in Macbook Pro seriously and don't view this as an internet browsing machine....

prestong

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2011
I must really be weird because between my ~70GB music, tons of iTunes/ripped movies, podcasts, countless games, VMs, and years worth of videos/pictures I tend to fill up 1TB fairly quickly. I tend to take the "Pro" in Macbook Pro seriously and don't view this as an internet browsing machine....

Who needs 70GB of music with them everywhere they go, for that matter you couldn't listen to 70GB of music in your lifetime :)

Scott7975

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
Funny enough i went to the Apple store today too. Checked out display models 5 screens were perfect, 3 were my type of screen.

I'm gonna return this one and reorder. I can't buy in store because of the education discounts i get through my University network.

I simply can't accept my current screen knowing there are better displays out there. Even from the same manufacturer!

In my Apple store they still have all last editions on display.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Who needs 70GB of music with them everywhere they go, for that matter you couldn't listen to 70GB of music in your lifetime :)

I really don't get why this is so hard to understand for people. I don't know what I like to listen to at any given time. So I want all my music with me. It you only like one type of music ripped at a low bitrate then I guess you can live with a couple of GBs.

prestong

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2011
I really don't get why this is so hard to understand for people. I don't know what I like to listen to at any given time. So I want all my music with me. It you only like one type of music ripped at a low bitrate then I guess you can live with a couple of GBs.

Well if its worth spending an extra $500 for you to have every song known to man with you at all times, then great :) But i doubt your the typical person. All my music's in the cloud anyhow..

iKrivetko

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2010

Because "Pro" is all about being able to entertain oneself.

ElderBrE

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2004

Funny enough, no Pro people put their music or photo libraries in the SSD, low access/storage stuff goes on an external hard drive, not on the system SSD which you want to keep as free as possible to make sure it's still blazing fast. Heck, Pro's did this way before SSDs came along, since it's how most workflows go anyway...

NathanA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Thanks. 8460 mAh is the same as the 2012 rMBPs, too, so we're comparing apples to apples.
Actually, that was a pic of a 2012/Ivy Bridge 15" rMBP (age: 15 months; cycle count: 93; MacBookPro10,1).

So we still have yet to see a CoconutBattery report from a Haswell 15" rMBP.

-- Nathan

thaifood

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Well if its worth spending an extra $500 for you to have every song known to man with you at all times, then great :) But i doubt your the typical person. All my music's in the cloud anyhow..

Each to their own I say. I can totally relate to carrying a ton of music around on my phone or laptop. I never know what I will feel like listening too.

tmoerel

Suspended
Jan 24, 2008

Ever spent a while in the bush in Africa without any internet??? Well I can tell you the only clouds there are of the in-the-sky variation!
You need all your data with you then.

raybies

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2013
You're not weird... you just haven't thought out your storage strategy very well.
Do you listen to 70GB worth of music every week? Wait I already know the answer... there aren't enough hours.

People sync content with NAS, cloud, home servers, backup drives... laptops are portable so more likely to be "lost/stolen/broken"... so people don't keep their life on them (specially when you can't get it off a MBP if it dies). They need enough built in capacity to get them through ~ a month.

I don't need tons of iTunes/ripped movies, podcasts, countless games, VMs, and years worth of videos/pictures... in my lap, I've got it available to me on "cheaper" media.

Of course more capacity is nicer, but when you factor in Apple's price for proprietary storage?
Seagate HDD 4TB = A$160
Apple SSD +0.5TB = A$660

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2005
Actually, that was a pic of a 2012/Ivy Bridge 15" rMBP (age: 15 months; cycle count: 93; MacBookPro10,1).

So we still have yet to see a CoconutBattery report from a Haswell 15" rMBP.

-- Nathan

Here you go

fXsxDT5.png

briand05

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
I just ran the Unigine Heaven benchmark on my base model Iris Pro and got this result.

Attachments

• heaven4.0.png
    heaven4.0.png
    187.9 KB · Views: 108

prestong

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2011
Ever spent a while in the bush in Africa without any internet??? Well I can tell you the only clouds there are of the in-the-sky variation!
You need all your data with you then.

Heh well I doubt many macbook owners have, but granted if I was going someplace without internet I might want to rethink my strategy. But I personally carry external SSDs for any data i rarely use, but may need when I am out from the house.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
It's deceptive because as far as I can tell the 750m is 967mhz factory spec but we are getting less than this at about 920mhz. If apple is going to make the 750m worse than factory spec, they should be honest about it. If it just says 750m you should at least expect factory specs that's what I think. Right???

You never know what the OEMs decided to clock the video card at, unless you wait for some technical reviews from Anandtech, or what other buyers say.

There is not much honesty in these businesses.

An underclocked video card typically means Apple had problems to use the stock one without overheating or other problems. They have made their laptops so thin now so there isn't much margin.

I believe the first retina 15'' from last year was the first one to heavily throttle during load. OEMs typically introduce these thermal algorithms when they know the laptop's cooling system cannot handle the full load of CPU + GPU.

If you want to use the laptop for gaming, be on your guard and read up on some technical reviews first to avoid unpleasant surprises.

Atomic Walrus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2012
The Haswell rMBP throttles due to a weak power brick of 85W?

Nope. It will use the battery to make up the difference if it exceeds 85W. Throttling only occurs if you draw more than 85W with a completely dead battery or if you hit thermal limits.

NathanA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Of the three on display, two reported they had an LSN screen whereas the other just reported Color LCD which makes me think it's some other manufacturer - perhaps LG or maybe some other company entirely.
The LCD command-line checker thingie only works on models that have the discrete graphics; see this and this.

-- Nathan

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2005

aiom

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2013
You're not weird... you just haven't thought out your storage strategy very well.
Do you listen to 70GB worth of music every week? Wait I already know the answer... there aren't enough hours.

70 GB sounds much, but maybe it isn't that much at all, especially if the one we are talking about is an "audiophile". When you want complete lossless then a file takes up 10 times the size of an average converted MP3.

A song of 5 minutes makes ~5mb having 128kbps. Now multiply x10 and you got 50mb. Now I have a small collection of 2000 songs and they already make up 6GB, even though most of them are low quality (lots of songs converted from youtube). But if I had hi-end versions it could already be 60GB.

raybies

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2013
70 GB sounds much, but maybe it isn't that much at all, especially if the one we are talking about is an "audiophile". When you want complete lossless then a file takes up 10 times the size of an average converted MP3.

A song of 5 minutes makes ~5mb having 128kbps. Now multiply x10 and you got 50mb. Now I have a small collection of 2000 songs and they already make up 6GB, even though most of them are low quality (lots of songs converted from youtube). But if I had hi-end versions it could already be 60GB.

I only listen to flac's.
TBH, 1TB is really nice to have... but at A$660 it's seriously a rip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.