iPad Just got an Air 2 and thinking of returning it(please help)

Fishels

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2015
Hey my bday is the 23rd and I didn't get an iPad air 2 too.

One question where exactly do you "feel" iPad bashes android. And I mean feel in the real sense of the word, like feel it in your back, side, crawling on the skin, lions?

All jokes aside, again why do you feel bad about getting a luxury item. Unless you feel bad about the reason you can't work. By the way windows does multi screen. You could try a windows tablet.
Idk. Is a tab worth 600$. And I honestly don't Know a thing about android where as iOS i feel comfy about. When will ios 9 and a potential new iPad be shown off guys?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Idk. Is a tab worth 600$. And I honestly don't Know a thing about android where as iOS i feel comfy about. When will ios 9 and a potential new iPad be shown off guys?
New iOS is usually introduced at the WWDC in June, with betas released to developers soon after. The beta process goes on through the summer, and the finished iOS is released to the public in the Fall, along with the new iPhones.

For the last few years, new iPads have been released in late Fall, about a month after the iPhones. However, there is no telling what the timing might be on the iPad Pro, if there is indeed such a product.

First thing you'd want to do is follow the just-announced Apple Event on March 9. It is expected to be about the Apple watch, but there is always the possibility that other products might be introduced.

Mcdevidr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2013
I don't know if a tab is worth $600. To me it's not. That's what apple charges though. I buy refurbs because that price seems to be more realistic and I don't really need a powerhouse for a tablet. Can't wait to get an air 2 on the cheap.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I've personally never understood why people fuss over multi window. I had a tab s 10.5 for about 6 months before I got my air 2 and never used MW. I tried it but just don't understand the use for it.
It's one of those things some people keep clamoring for but by and large serves no practical purpose. What type of productive multi-window multitasking can be done on a tiny 10" screen? It's a novelty feature on a screen that small. Even people with Android tablets rarely, if ever use it.

Fishels

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2015
Is it likely that there will be such a thing as the ipad air 3? Im really not interested in a tablet the size of what the pro is rumored to be. Also better battery life would be epic and much needed imo. cant have enough lol.

----------

I don't know if a tab is worth $600. To me it's not. That's what apple charges though. I buy refurbs because that price seems to be more realistic and I don't really need a powerhouse for a tablet. Can't wait to get an air 2 on the cheap.
where do you buy your refurbs from?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Is it likely that there will be such a thing as the ipad air 3? Im really not interested in a tablet the size of what the pro is rumored to be. Also better battery life would be epic and much needed imo. cant have enough lol.
I'm sure Apple will have a new 9.7 inch iPad next Fall. Whether it will be called iPad Air 3, who knows. But if you want multi windows, it's possible that feature could only come to the rumored iPad Pro. A bigger size tablet will likely mean better battery life, too, for that matter..

Personally, I'm more than satisfied with the battery life on my Air 2. I always charge it when I go to bed, and I never run out of battery -- I've never had to charge it during the day. Usually I have about 30% battery left at the end of the day, sometimes closer to 50.

where do you buy your refurbs from?
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

Azzin

macrumors 601
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
You know you're not composing a text message and that you're not restricted to the amount of characters you can put in each post don't you?

WWTCA (What's with the constant abbreviations)?

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
Keep it. It's the best tablet i have ever used, period. The power that they've packed into the Air 2 is going to be taken advantage of in future software updates. MW will come and like others said after using it a few times you will probably never use it again.

You could return and sit on the money if you want to, but I wouldn't recommend an android tablet over the Air 2. Of course as others have said it's your money, you can get whatever you want. If I were you I'd keep the Air 2.

CairnsRock

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2013
Toronto
You can return iPad Air 2 and buy a Samsung Note 10.1 or Samsung Tab S 10.1 they are better for your needs like MW. Also you will save more $$$ on those Samsung tablets than iPad Air 2. :apple:
If it meant having to use android to get MW vs iPad Air 2. It would be an easy decision for me.

Ditch the MW requirement.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I was REALLY REALLY disappointed that there isn't a feature like MW.
Carefully researching before making a purchase would help with that. If something is a must-have for you then make sure the product you're buying includes that feature.

Granted, it sounds like you're not really sure if it's a must-have or not but we can't determine that for you. You have to try using something that supports multiwindow and see if it is of benefit to you. It's a subjective matter and not a matter of the feature itself or the device.

Is a tab worth 600$.
Also highly subjective. No one can tell you if anything is worth it to you or not. That's for you to determine. For any X at $Y there will be those that find it worth it and those that do not. If you want our feedback you have to help us to understand where your draw your lines on worth.

mw360

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2010

It seems to me that Apple design with a target battery life in mind. I think they're happy with the 10-12 hour thing for the foreseeable future. iPad Air 3 will probably arrive late this year (Oct/Nov)

It's probably worth considering that running 2 apps side by side could reduce battery life further. For this reason, and for just pure marketing I think the iPad Pro, if it exists, will be the only iPad model to support 'MW'.

By the way, maybe you don't know this, but you can swipe between running apps with a four finger left or right gesture. Not the same as having them on screen at the same time, but maybe that's quicker than what you're doing currently.

Last edited:

Fishels

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2015
It seems to me that Apple design with a target battery life in mind. I think they're happy with the 10-12 hour thing for the foreseeable future. iPad Air 3 will probably arrive late this year (Oct/Nov)

It's probably worth considering that running 2 apps side by side could reduce battery life further. For this reason, and for just pure marketing I think the iPad Pro, if it exists, will be the only iPad model to support 'MW'.

By the way, maybe you don't know this, but you can swipe between running apps with a four finger left or right gesture. Not the same as having them on screen at the same time, but maybe that's quicker than what you're doing currently.
so what would you think would change in the air 3?

Last edited by a moderator:

sracer

macrumors G3
Apr 9, 2010
Prescott Valley, AZ
No troll here. I have never used android but the MW looks awesome. Android overall looks cheap and crappy but I hear you have more options.
I'm not sure how Android overall looks cheap and crappy, but I find it odd that you had a choice between an Android tablet with multi-window and an iPad that clearly does not, and you picked the one that doesn't and then you're disappointed that it doesn't? :confused:

I have quite a few tablets, including a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4. That thing is smooth as butter and multi-window on it is fantastic. Very useful.

I do really like the security of iOS tho which is working great on the air. Very quick!!! Which is why I'm a bit nervous. Maybe I will take the air 2 back and just sit on my money for a while. I'm not bashing iPad at all so don't think I'm a troll please. I know nobody can make the choice but me but I love reading the opinion's on here. And what do you mean waste apple's time and money? I'm the consumer who bought it from target after hearing the rave reviews about it. Everyone says Apple is the best so I assumed a 600$ flagship product would have a comparable feature. No need for the rudeness please.
So you dropped $600 on a device based on what people say without a first-hand test drive? wow.

mw360

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2010
Several lol? Anyway no big deal and no hard feelings man. But i hardly see how abbreviating is all that bad. I put CB instead of Facebook by accident and i thought multi window would be easy to understand. my bad if it bothers you guys.

----------

so what would you think would change in the air 3?
The iPad seems to get hand-me-downs from the previous gen iPhone so I expect it to get features from the iPhone6:

Round edge design
Bigger screen option
Modest spec increase (not extra RAM though)

I expect the bigger iPad to have longer battery life and get some exclusive software features like 'MW' and an expanded onscreen keyboard (cursor keys etc). I also expect it to be $100 more expensive than the equivalent Air model and only be available in high spec configurations (e.g. 128GB storage).

These are just my guesses. I currently have an Air 2 and wouldn't swap it for these speculative products.

----------

So you dropped $600 on a device based on what people say without a first-hand test drive? wow.
Don't be so patronising and tedious. He's several days into his test drive. The $600 is his if he wants it back.

Closingracer

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2010
If it meant having to use android to get MW vs iPad Air 2. It would be an easy decision for me.

Ditch the MW requirement.
Not for everyone though.... I require it.... Almost but for now I'm happy with an android phone and a Ipad combo

Fishels

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2015
I'm kinda over the multi window thing now as someone brought up battery will be worse. I still want it but Honestly I'm finding this battery to be just okay. I'm pretty much loving everything else though. I fear I'm getting way too attached lol. It's gonna be a hard choice. If I do take it back the chance of me wanting an iPad in the future when I have better income has gone way up!!! It's pretty addicting.

tentales

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2010
I'm kinda over the multi window thing now as someone brought up battery will be worse. I still want it but Honestly I'm finding this battery to be just okay. I'm pretty much loving everything else though. I fear I'm getting way too attached lol. It's gonna be a hard choice. If I do take it back the chance of me wanting an iPad in the future when I have better income has gone way up!!! It's pretty addicting.
thanks for dropping the abbreviations. when you ask for help, help your audience to not waste time trying to guess what you meant, especially when you then misspell said abbreviations, eg. CB instead of FB.

now, to help you analyze your decision.
It sounds like you don't really have the funds and are loosing sleep over whether you should really commit to the $600 you're now missing.

Separate financials from feature-sets, because you'll drive yourself nuts trying to justify *any* purchase regardless of whether it supports things like "multi window " etc.

As you stated, "... in the future when I have better income.."
means, you should probably take it back and use the $600 for more urgent bills.

Another idea though, try for a 0% financing options.
I just signed up for a 24-month equal payment plan thru one of the carriers for an iPad Air 2 64GB with LTE.
It's $33/month plus change and will be more palatable with a tight income situation.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Another idea though, try for a 0% financing options.
I just signed up for a 24-month equal payment plan thru one of the carriers for an iPad Air 2 64GB with LTE.
It's $33/month plus change and will be more palatable with a tight income situation.
This is a good option if you need the LTE connection, and will be paying for cellular data anyway. If you don't need cellular data, then of course this is just throwing away money.

Should be obvious, but thought I'd just point it out just in case.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
You know, you haven't really said exactly what you plan to do on your iPad, other than some references to Facebook, YouTube, etc. You did mention having an illness and not being able to work regularly. And I know iPad is great for when you are laid up and in need of some distraction. So while $600 is a lot of money, if it helps you get through the day, then that is something whose worth cannot be measured in dollars. Also, consider that the iPad can help you keep in touch with the outside world while staying at home. You can FaceTime or Skype with family and friends, even remotely "attend" events when you aren't able to physically get there. Some peope have even managed to use iPads to help them work from home. I know there are days when you haven't got any energy to do anything other than watch YouTube all day. But there may also be days when you feel like doing something -- and perhaps the iPad can help you do that something. Or even help you find that something to do. It all depends on how you use it.

newellj

macrumors 604
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I have quite a few tablets, including a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4. That thing is smooth as butter and multi-window on it is fantastic. Very useful.
Purely out of curiosity, what sort of things do you find multi-window useful for? On what size tablet(s)? (Would it work on a Mini, or is the display too small?)

sracer

macrumors G3
Apr 9, 2010
Prescott Valley, AZ
Purely out of curiosity, what sort of things do you find multi-window useful for? On what size tablet(s)? (Would it work on a Mini, or is the display too small?)
I find multi-window very useful for viewing a reference document (Bible, PDFs, webpage, etc.) in one window while working on a document in the other. Occasionally I'll have a video playing in one, while taking notes in the other.
Trying to run MS Word in a window was a bit silly, so I generally use simple text/markdown editors for basic entry and do my final formatting on my MBA or iMac.

I do this on an 8.4" Galaxy Pro tablet. Works fine with just the tablet, but really shines when using a Motorola BT keyboard w/trackpoint.

As for working on the iPad mini, IMO it is a bit too small to work without an external keyboard.

newellj

macrumors 604
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I find multi-window very useful for viewing a reference document (Bible, PDFs, webpage, etc.) in one window while working on a document in the other. Occasionally I'll have a video playing in one, while taking notes in the other.
Trying to run MS Word in a window was a bit silly, so I generally use simple text/markdown editors for basic entry and do my final formatting on my MBA or iMac.

I do this on an 8.4" Galaxy Pro tablet. Works fine with just the tablet, but really shines when using a Motorola BT keyboard w/trackpoint.

As for working on the iPad mini, IMO it is a bit too small to work without an external keyboard.
I can definitely agree with the last paragraph. The rest is interesting, thanks. I'm not sure it really fits my own use profile but I'm interested to see that it could be useful to other people (which frankly I would not really have believed, so thank you for your example :cool: ).

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
Ok, in my opinion you should keep the iPad!
I've owned 4 of 5 models & my son has had 2 of the 3 minis.
You will DEFINITELY get more & more out of it. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said if you got rid of it, you know you'd want one in the future.
By now, it is an extension of my lifestyle. I would be miserable without it for any serious length of time.

Last edited by a moderator: