iPad Just got an Air 2 and thinking of returning it(please help)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Fishels, Feb 25, 2015.

1. tmarks11 macrumors 6502a

Also, 97% of all statistics used in arguments are made up. :D

Look at how many people out there have two monitors on their desktops. I bet it is more than 10%. That kind of shows a fallacy in your argument about people not wanting multiple windows. Almost every computer at my work is set up with two screens. The increased productivity makes the (minor) cost worth it.

Why have two windows?
    Solid works on the left, documentation or pdf schematics on the right.
    Word on the left, power point on the right.

I feel crippled without two screens.

Microsoft has the handy WIN-LEFT and WIN-RIGHT feature that automatically uses half of the available screen space for a given program, which is a quick handy way to run two programs on the same screen. I really wish Apple did the same. Even on my MBA11, there are a lot of times I want to split the screen, and dragging stuff around and resizing it is cumbersome.

Back OT, the lack of multi-window capability is one of the things that led to me abandoning iPads after several years of use... that and the purchase of a MBA11 that was almost as handy to carry around, and gave much better editing and viewing (including two programs on the same screen).

The OP really needs to think what he is using the iPad for. As a media consumption tool, multi-window doesn't give you a lot. Also, Samsung MW capability doesn't let you MW every app, only the stock ones on the tablet. Given, that probably covers most of what you want, but not everything. I would recommend you stop by BestBuy and play with it before you start thinking that MW is the killer app that makes the tablet worth buying. I suspect it is not (yes, I have two Samsung tablets, as well as 3 iPads).

2. Fishels, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2015

Fishels thread starter macrumors regular

The battery life is disappointing though. After 2 hours of internet browsing i was 75%.

3. Fishels thread starter macrumors regular

Great reply. You are a tablet playboy huh?

4. Night Spring, Feb 28, 2015

Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Try turning the brightness down a bit. Also, remember that percentage is an estimate. Try charging to a 100%, then using it until it shuts off. I think you'll find it lasts you most of the day, if not all day. Do this two or three times and you'll get a more accurate battery estimate.

5. Tycho24, Feb 28, 2015

Tycho24 Suspended

Tycho24

That's a teeny bit disappointing...
    However, that sounds like a discharge time at MAX screen brightness, I'd wager you'd stretch that a bit at a lower brightness. If not possible, that still equals eight hours of continuous use. Actually not too shabby!

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Exactly. And eight hours a day staring at iPad screen is really a bit much, though I confess I do that from time to time. But I've learned that if the iPad shuts off on me, that means I've been sitting and staring at it for way too long, and it's time I plug it in and go do something else for a while. :p

7. Fishels, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2015

Fishels thread starter macrumors regular

My brightness is really low. Also does topping off a charge hurt?

8. Tycho24 Suspended

Tycho24

No.
    Basically after "teaching" your battery what a full charge is by running it down all the way, then charging for 8+ hours for the 1st several charge cycles... your battery should be ok the charge for any length of time, from a few minutes, to over a day, without affecting the life.
    You do have seem to be getting about 80% the use time I do, which seems puzzling. I leave bluetooth on constantly (for AirDrop) & even game quite a bit. If you're really only web surfing with not a lot of notifications set & no running apps in the background.... at low brightness, you should be getting into the fuller part of the ten hour mark, even cresting 11 hours.

9. typeadam macrumors regular

typeadam

Are you serious??!!?

----

Anyway, everyone already gave you their answer but the simple fact remains, had you gotten the Android, every time you would see an iPad in the store or someone else using an iPad, you would be thinking to yourself "oh I should've just gotten the iPad and multi-window be damned!" Stick with the iPad and hopefully since you have the newest one, iOS 9 will have your "MW."

10. iPadDad macrumors 6502

iPadDad

As a matter of interest what are you using the iPad for?

11. tmarks11 macrumors 6502a

Not really. I have two kids.
    2 Ipad 1s. Those are pretty much on the shelf now.
    1 Ipad 3. That is mine, but I don't use it much as I primarily use my MBA11.
    1 Samsung Pro 8 and 1 Samsung Tabs S 10. That is what my kids use now (replacement for iPad 1 this year, bought them once I saw the iPad Mini 3 wasn't much of an upgrade).

12. Gildarts macrumors regular

Here's how I would look at it:

Do you have a financial buffer (and is it currently enough)?

If you can't answer that question with yes then you shouldn't keep the iPad.

For me personally a tablet is not worth $600. But I don't have a tablet at all (because til this day I still don't see enough use for it).

You clearly like your iPad, stating that it's addictive, so I would just look at said question and if you can answer it with yes keep the tablet.

13. Fishels thread starter macrumors regular

Internet, Facebook and listening to iTunes. I hope this will change when I go to school though. The battery life is what is bugging me now though.

14. rowspaxe macrumors 68020

rowspaxe

yes.

15. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Return it!
    I think you're going to continue to find fault with it no matter what.:rolleyes:
    So far, you've complained about the lack of multi windows.
    Now, you're complaining about the battery life.
    Pretty soon, it will be the speakers.
    After that, it will be that it's Aluminum and not Carbon Fiber.
    And then, the fact that it lacks warp drive and time travel...

16. Fishels thread starter macrumors regular

You actually could be right. My mind does find faults when I'm unsure of a purchase. Though there are lots of good things about it that are better rather than bad. The battery life isn't bad it's just good..... Makes me nervous the air 3 will upgrade it. The speakers do make the thing shake but I use headphones so it's all good. I love the aluminum. But yea time travel is a must for iOS 9.

17. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If you wait for the Air 3, you will be waiting at least until October, maybe November. If you keep the Air 2, you get to enjoy having an iPad for that half a year. Also, how long do you plan to keep your iPad, and will you resell your iPad when you do? If you are one of those people who can manage to sell your old gear in order to upgrade to the next one, then there is no point in waiting. Just keep this iPad and resell when the Air 3 comes out.

18. Fishels thread starter macrumors regular

i was plannig on keeping it for as long as possible. prob 2-3 years. can not afford to sell and buy a new one before then sadly. Also i know you guys cant tell the future but what are the realistic expectations for how air 3 will differ from 2.

19. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Hard to say. Apple tends to redesign iOS devices every other year, so if they stick to that pattern, the iPad is due for a major redesign in the next version, which we are calling the Air 3, but who knows if Apple will even stick with the Air name.

But on the other hand, so much focus has been on the Apple watch, maybe Apple will skp the major redesign of the iPad this year, and just do internal upgrades.

In any case, many people do keep the iPad for 2-3 years, and are perfectly happy with that. Every generation is going to be slightly better than the previous one, but even between the iPad 4 and the Air 1, there was a major redesign of the body, but many people felt that the upgrade wasn't worth it, and went happily using their iPads 4 and 3. In fact, my partner is sitting next to me, happily using his iPad 3. He sees my Air 2 every day, but the improvements from the iPad 3 to the Air 2 just doesn't interest him.

In any case, if you plan on keeping your iPad for several years, you need to not overthink about possible improvements in the new models, because you'd drive yourself crazy if you do. From what you've said, the only major problem you currently have with the Air 2 seems to be that you are not quite satisfied with the battery life. While it's possible that the Air 3 will have better battery life, if you decide to wait for the Air 3, you'd be without an iPad for the next half year.

20. tentales macrumors 6502a

tentales

You sound like a "glass-half-empty-guy". Your process of elimination is by finding out which product has the least number of faults and even then you won't be happy with your "final" choice, because the "next" iteration of whatever device you choose will undoubtedly be better and make you regret your choice.

I think your problem has nothing to do with the iPad Air 2 or any of its shortcomings. Return it already.

21. Fishels thread starter macrumors regular

untrue. I have plenty of other products i like. I just wanna make the right choice.

----------

thanks for the non rude answer.

22. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I would say if you can afford to keep it, just keep it. No device is going to be perfect. I don't think we are going to see a huge difference with the Air 3.

I'm using a mini 2 right now and it handles web browsing/game play just dandy. Keep it, use it, don't sweat it.

23. newellj macrumors 604

This ^^^ is great advice. :cool:

24. Fishels thread starter macrumors regular

IT is Great advice. But remember who you are talking to? I cant make up my mind silly. Ah well i still have time. :cool:

25. newellj macrumors 604

Yes, and honestly you don't have to take, or even listen to, anyone's advice. You're the one who needs to be happy. Keep it in perspective and you'll be fine either way, I think. ;)