Just got an iPhone 4, not quite satisfied.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DanteMann, May 23, 2011.

1. DanteMann macrumors 6502

Hi there, just got my very first iPhone 4. Now I really have to ask. How many of you actually care for call quality? I'm referring to outgoing and incoming call quality. Because I honestly was expecting a lot better. Don't get me wrong the call quality is not horrible but it's average at the very best. The phone also isn't the most comfortable phone to hold with it's sharp edges as well. So considering how much I spent on this phone and that it's supposed to be high end, I can honestly say I'm really disappointed with my first iPhone experience. I took it back for the sales rep to listen to, and he simply said it sounds just like his iphone 4. :confused: I've had the phone for about a week, and can return it within 15 days of purchase. I thought this purchase would be a no brainer considering all the talk this phone gets. But now after looking at various reviews, I can see the iPhone 4 never really was considered all that great for call quality. For me call quality is THE MOST IMPORTANT part of the phone. This is why I stuck with my Nokia for so long. I'm leaning towards asking for a replacement but I'm thinking it's going to be the same thing. I'm running out of time and I really don't know what to do. I was really looking forward to having this phone.

2. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I have no problem with call quality but it's certainly something I've heard people complaining about.

Sharp edges? Are you joking?

In conclusion, if you don't like it, return it. That's all there is to it.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I would try to see if you can borrow a friend's iPhone 4 and see if the same problem persists. Sometimes problems do happen, and a lot of times Apple refuses there are any problems. Second, do you have a case on your phone? If you are blocking the antennae with your hand, that might be causing a problem.

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Call quality sounds largely the same on all cell phones. Once 4G is the new standard, expect a big improvement.

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Gotta agree. I've had phones that sounded a lot worse but most I've tried sound exactly the same as the iPhone. The network/technology/region has more to do with it than anything else.

6. Phil-82 macrumors member

I've tried calling on all difference types of phones (Ip4, a couple of blackberries, some android ) on the same carrier and in the same spot. I have to say that there was not a big difference so maybe you are subconsciously telling yourself its not as good because you dont like the rest of the phone.

If you don't like the sharp edges, buy a case though you should anyways. Also, try messing around with cool apps on the app store or even go the distance and jb if your comfortable. Theres always something that excites someone on the Iphone.

7. Internal Fury macrumors 6502

call and complain. maybe you got a botched one

8. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

Mine seems perfectly fine, and I use the phone function a lot. No complaints here.

9. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

Replace it or exchange it. There is no reason to be stuck with a phone that doesn't make you happy.

10. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Call quality is fine. If I happen to be in a good area it is crystal clear. If I happen to be on the other 95% of the at&t network it is so-so but that is not the phones fault.

Sharp edges is a ridiculous complaint... how hard are you gripping the things that the edges are too sharp?

11. macDelirium macrumors member

Perhaps it's your provider or a mix of the location where you are and signal quality?

Got no problems at all with voice quality here.

12. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

Call quality is pretty good to me. If you don't like it that much.. get a jawbone..
    I love my iPhone 4.. it's sweet!

13. saberahul macrumors 68040

Never had a problem - maybe yours is bad... like many of them are as it seems like it.

14. DanteMann thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I may be a little more picky with what I call good sound quality than most people. This reviewer sort of describes what I'm referring to when it comes to sound quality of calls on this phone. Good sound quality phones should sound close to land lines. That's what I had with my Nokia.

http://www.arcx.com/sites/Apple iPhone 4.htm

Here's another link that shows 2 different carriers. Both sound average to me and have that hollow tinny sound.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-20030327-233.html

When you pay almost $700 dollars for a phone, the last thing I want is for the phone to sound like every other average cell phone. I don't know, not completely disappointed but not totally satisfied. I'll ask around at work, see what others have experienced. If this is how it is, then so be it. As I said, the sound quality isn't horrible. Just wish it was better. I want the iOS experience with the most current hardware, so I really don't have any other choice but this phone.

15. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that AT&T allocates more bandwidth for voice when you have a 3G signal vs EDGE. Maybe the voice issue you are hearing is a result of being in a location with a slower connection.

16. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Are you on AT&T? It's normal.

I've had an iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, and my wife had a 3GS. Call quality on all 3 is pretty damn bad with AT&T, no doubt.

It's not the phone. I've had great calls on Skype and Viber. I've even occasionally had a good call on AT&T, so I know it's possible.

But by and large, most iPhone calls are 'fair' at best and 'poor' as a matter of course.

17. DanteMann thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm in Canada on the Roger's Network. The same network that I used my Nokia on and the Nokia was great for sound quality. Clear, loud, and good tone to voices.
    I did some more reading on this forum, and I see there will soon be an iPhone 5. I'm not short on cash, so if the next iphone is better in terms of call quality, I will no doubt change phones.

18. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

The iphone's phone quality has never been its strong point. The iphone 4 is actually the best in terms of call quality when compared to previous iphones, but is about average to slightly abouve average when compared to most handsets. If call quality is of upmost importance to you, then stick with nokia or get a motorola, but then you'll have to go back to a dumbphone or either android or a dieing symbian os.

And I know what your talking about with the sharp edges, compared to say a nokia e71 which I had, it does make phone calls less comfortable but after a while you get used to it or if not you can put a case on it and it feels better.

19. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well then I would suspect your particular phone. Perhaps there is a problem with it. The mic on the iPhone really is superb, I've had perfect conversations using IP-calling apps.

20. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I wouldn't bet on it. If you think about it, while network speeds and phones have become more advanced over the years, voice quality hasn't changed much in the past decade. The next iPhone is going to run on the same 3G network as the 4. The only way it would improve is if Apple used a different or better earpiece which I doubt.

Again, when 4G networks become the new standard, there will be a significant improvement in voice quality.

21. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

In this day and age, call quality matters little. To me, they all sound pretty much the same. Nowadays, the competition focuses on how fast apps can load, increasing storage, new features, customization, display, etc....

And sharp edges? Really? The iPhone 4 feels amazing compared to the 3g(s). If it bothers you so much then get a case (Otterbox Defender for you)

22. mtondreo macrumors member

I am absolutely ecstatic with my iphone 4 but was forced into it because I took my 3gs swimming. I will say that i think my 3gs was more comfortable to hold as a phone. i use mainly the bluetooth in my truck though so it does not spend a lot of time being held to my ear. we are trapped on at&t right now because I had to upgrade but are thinking about dropping at&t and going back to verizon and hopefully recouping the contact breach cost by selling my phone and my wifes 3g. But we are going to wait and see what September brings - if anything. also no simultaneous data and voice is kind of a hard point for me - I am one of those freaks that does use both at the same time commonly. We absolutely loved Verizon in our area, but before they had the iphone, i tried multiple types of blackberries and other smartphones and decided the iphone was one of the most intuitive and user friendly devices on the market. I am still lost if i try to do anything on any droid. Hope you find a resolution and if you do not use the iphone for all of its features - it may not be the device for you. I don't foresee us ever using anything different again and my wife was originally completely against iphones. Thanks, Mike

23. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Call quality is actually great on my iPhone. I never had any issues!

But i can understand the poor ergonomics behind the sharp design. A lot of people have difficulty with it, and it's just something you get used to after using it. I would've preferred Apple to continue the rounded edged models from original to 3GS. Here's hoping for iPhone 5!

Speaking of iPhone 5, i would've held off until it was released, it makes no sense to buy an iPhone 4 now unless you absolutely need it.

24. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

@OP: You do realize, don't you, that phone companies compress all voice signals. They have years and years of research telling them how much information you can lose from the signal before people can't understand it, so they adjust the quality to slightly above that mark. No phone is going to sound perfect or natural. Ever.

25. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I was in the Apple store a few weeks ago and I let them know I had a rash of dropped calls. I had 24 in 2 weeks. They suggested I bring my phone in and let the Genius Bar guys take a look at it. When I find the time I may just do that. Perhaps you should try it as well. One thing though. At&t in general has poor call quality compared to Verizon regardless of device.