Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RonFromOregon

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2008
The Raise to Speak feature is looking for motion consistent with you being in a standing position, and raising your arm up towards your mouth. It doesn't work well from a seated position.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Is there any harm to charge the watch nightly?

Why would there be any ‘harm’ to charge your Apple Watch overnight? Is it not the same as you would with your iPhone or other tech devices? Lithium ion batteries are meant to be on a consistently charged basis where will not affect them for overcharging use.

What can be turned off to extend battery life?

You mean making adjustments, rather than ‘turning off’. Like reducing haptic sensation, reducing brightness, you can disable Siri and raise to wake.

Should I turn off background app refresh?

Why would you want to?

Last edited:

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
One tip: be VERY careful with that black Milanese loop. It has a very hard coating on it that can easily scratch the sapphire crystal on the watch screen and the watch body. Be careful while putting it on and taking it off that the Milanese loop doesn’t come in contact with the front of the watch.

I went to buy a 2 week old SS SB Watch last night with Milanese band that was described as immaculate. Got there and the Milanese had scratched the bottom part of the screen so I didn’t bother buying it.

Reactions: Tapiture

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Is there a significant benefit to the Apple Watch charging dock ($79)over the puck that comes with my SB SS watch with black ML?

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
I went to buy a 2 week old SS SB Watch last night with Milanese band that was described as immaculate. Got there and the Milanese had scratched the bottom part of the screen so I didn’t bother buying it.
Yeah if I had the space black watch I probably wouldn’t buy the black Milanese loop just because of the risk of damaging the $750 device

Reactions: PaladinGuy

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Is there a significant benefit to the Apple Watch charging dock ($79)over the puck that comes with my SB SS watch with black ML?

It depends on you, but I love that accessory. The puck in the center is the same as the one that comes with the watch, but it's on a hinge, which means that it works equally well when the watch is laid flat (e.g., with a sport band) or on its side (e.g., with your Milanese band or for nightstand mode). The best things about it from my perspective are: (1) your watch sits on a cushioned, protective pad, (2) it has a dedicated space on your nightstand, and (3) it doesn't feel like a charger. The third one is a surprisingly big deal for me -- the accessory changes my perception of what I'm doing from charging the watch to simply setting the watch in its place. If someone were to ask me how often I charge my watch, the real answer is nightly, but it *feels* like I never charge it. That to me is a very Apple-esque touch. I'm using tech, but it's designed in a way to make it feel non-techy.

I even carry mine when I'm traveling because I like it that much. Docks are a matter of personal preference, though, so my usage pattern may be very different from yours. If I didn't use nightstand mode, for example, this dock would still be nice but wouldn't be as essential to my routine.

There's also the issue of the price point. As with most accessories from Tim Cook's version of Apple, I come away feeling price-gouged. That leaves a bad taste in my mouth even when I like the product.

Last edited:
Reactions: OBirder

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
I don’t have WiFi at work, does this change anything about cellular and fall detection?
Yes it does. The fall detection will work no matter what, but the part where it calls emergency services if you're unresponsive won't work without some kind of connection to the outside world. So there are two scenarios here. If the phone is with you in your pocket, then the watch will use it to connect and make the call. This is the case regardless of whether you have activated cellular or not.

Cellular only comes into play when your phone is out of range. It's easy to tell when this is the case because the watch will display a red X at the top of the screen. Alternatively you can swipe from the bottom to bring up control center. If you have a connection you will see a green iPhone icon in the top left corner (or perhaps the WiFi symbol if you're connected to WiFi). If you're not connected you will see a red X and the word "Disconnected". Alternatively, if you do activate cellular you'll see a series of dots indicating cellular signal strength in these situations.
Is there any harm to charge the watch nightly?

What can be turned off to extend battery life?
Honestly, I think you're worrying about it too much. Do you worry about charging your iPhone too often? Or do you just throw it on a charger whenever you feel like it?

It used to be the case that if you wanted to extend the life of your battery that you needed to only charge a device when the battery was completely empty. And then made sure that you charged it all the way to full. Topping off for a few minutes here and there really could shorten the life. But that hasn't been the case for many years now, and it's not something you should concern yourself with.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
There's also the issue of the price point. As with most accessories from Tim Cook's version of Apple, I come away feeling price-gouged. That leaves a bad taste in my mouth even when I like the product.

I don’t think it’s fair to blame Tim Cook, traditionally, if you reflect back on Apples accessories, they all have been expensive and have increased over the years even before his tenure. The Apple Watch however, is the one product that I could probably justify the price point for, because it really is such a multi-tool in what it can accomplish for somebody and monitor your health conditions, and it’s expanded with fall detection, EKG, wheelchair accessibility, the swimming features, and eventually glucose might be here. The watch really pays for itself pending how the user takes advantage of all the features.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
I purchased the watch, primarily for its fall detection feature. I looked at several traditional fall monitoring systems. Given their monthly rental payment, I could upgrade the AW every year, for what the monthly rental payments would come to over 12 months.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I purchased the watch, primarily for its fall detection feature. I looked at several traditional fall monitoring systems. Given their monthly rental payment, I could upgrade the AW every year, for what the monthly rental payments would come to over 12 months.

Just as an FYI if you're not over 65 make sure you go an manually turn on fall detection. Otherwise it will default to being off.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Besides the AW charging dock from Apple, is there anything else I should be looking at for my new SB SS watch with black Milanese Loop? I have a Mohie wireless charger for my iPhone that already sits on my night table.

Currrntly, I am using the charging puck that came with the watch, but I am looking for something that might allow me to easily place the watch on its side or in other ways lessen the chsnce for scratches. Thanks.

Last edited:

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Why would there be any ‘harm’ to charge your Apple Watch overnight? Is it not the same as you would with your iPhone or other tech devices? Lithium ion batteries are meant to be on a consistently charged basis where will not affect them for overcharging use.
Technically the optimal state for a lithium ion battery is a partially charged state; if it's kept at 100% or 0% then it harms the battery. A few years ago, at least, the recommendation was to discharge the battery to around 60-70% if putting a battery into long-term storage.

But there's no harm to charging nightly, and Apple has designated the "nightstand mode" with the idea that people might keep it on the charger for the night. I generally charge it for 1-2 hours each day (usually while showering) and use my Watch as a sleep tracker, too. With the Series 4 I find that I have 55-75% of battery remaining at the end of the day, depending on how much activity I was engaging in. If your battery fizzles out and you don't want to buy a new Watch, Apple does offer battery replacements for a fee.

No, it just depends on your intended usage (nightstand mode and/or keeping on the charger for a long time, versus just charging back to 100% before putting it back on your wrist).

Besides the AW charging dock from Apple, is there anything else I should be looking at for my new SB SS watch with black Milanese Loop? I have a Mohie wireless charger for my iPhone that already sits on my night table.

Currrntly, I am using the charging puck that came with the watch, but I am looking for something that might allow me to easily place the watch on its side or in other ways lessen the chsnce for scratches. Thanks.
There are third-party bedside stands, some of which are quite elaborate. I bought a fairly cheap one from Amazon for $10 and the quality was solid, it looks fine, easy to set up... but ultimately I decided I preferred to wear the Watch during sleep for sleep tracking.

And just one note about the showering question, while your Watch may technically be able to take it, I'm not sure about the Milanese loop. I've yet to see a report of rusting with an official Apple Milanese loop (third-party ones are a different story) but I'd worry about damaging the band.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Technically the optimal state for a lithium ion battery is a partially charged state; if it's kept at 100% or 0% then it harms the battery. A few years ago, at least, the recommendation was to discharge the battery to around 60-70% if putting a battery into long-term storage..

All of which I don’t disagree with, but instead of providing our own anecdotes, this is officially what Apple has to say about charging lithium ion batteries:

https://www.apple.com/batteries/why-lithium-ion/

https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

Last edited:

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
I don’t think it’s fair to blame Tim Cook, traditionally, if you reflect back on Apples accessories, they all have been expensive and have increased over the years even before his tenure. The Apple Watch however, is the one product that I could probably justify the price point for, because it really is such a multi-tool in what it can accomplish for somebody and monitor your health conditions, and it’s expanded with fall detection, EKG, wheelchair accessibility, the swimming features, and eventually glucose might be here. The watch really pays for itself pending how the user takes advantage of all the features.

I have never taken issue with the price of the Apple Watch.

CreepyAF

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2018
Behind you
I use the Apple travel charging device with the little charging puck that pops up out of the center to charge my AW4/Milanese. Also, showering with it on is not really a good idea.

I shower twice a day and swim for 45 minutes everyday with my watch on without a problem. I also sit in the whirlpool and in the steam room sometimes, but now I’m trying to reduce those activities because I want to preserve the gaskets.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Thanks to those who commented about the AW charging dock. Mine arrived yesterday. Makes it easy to place the watch on its side. So far the SB ML has not scratched the watch.

What other Apple loop type bands might we worth trying with the SB, as a change of pace? I am scan rash prone,so I would want something that breathes. Since the bands have a two week trail period, I would know by then.

Reactions: bluespark

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
Thanks to those who commented about the AW charging dock. Mine arrived yesterday. Makes it easy to place the watch on its side. So far the SB ML has not scratched the watch.

What other Apple loop type bands might we worth trying with the SB, as a change of pace? I am scan rash prone,so I would want something that breathes. Since the bands have a two week trail period, I would know by then.
I like the sport bands (not the sport loop), though they can get a bit sweaty. If you want one that breathes check out the Nike+ sport bands with all the holes.

I also like the woven nylon bands, which do breath well. Apple doesn't sell them any longer, but you can probably still find the Apple made ones at Best Buy and Target. I don't have any experience with third-party bands, so others will have to weigh in on those.

I have the leather loop as well, but I only wear it when I want to dress things up a bit.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Thanks to those who commented about the AW charging dock. Mine arrived yesterday. Makes it easy to place the watch on its side.

I got the Nomad base station for AW/Iphone and it is amazing! Best one I have used so far and closest to air power use.

Steven079

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2019
Just my 2 cents;

I bought the watch and discovered that the raise to speak (not using ' hey siri ') was not working at all. Complained multiple times, nothing happened.. Apple did not even TRY to fix it.

Then i bought the black milanese loop (my topic about this is somewhere here on the forum) and it scratched my screen badly. Complained tons of times and made Apple cave in to take in my watch for an investigation. Result was that i received a NEW watch.

This new watch has a working(!) Raise to Speak functionality,... so i believe its not software but a hardware issue (as my first watch wasnt working with it at all!)

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Is it a good idea to activate cellular service?

I have had the watch for almost a week.

I don’t run or swim. I exercise at home. When I charge my phone st home, it is within BT range. I don’t currrntly use BT headphones, but I might st some future time.

Is there enough potential use, to activate cellular?

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Is it a good idea to activate cellular service?

I have had the watch for almost a week.

I don’t run or swim. I exercise at home. When I charge my phone st home, it is within BT range. I don’t currrntly use BT headphones, but I might st some future time.

I'd suggest living without cellular for a while to see when you miss not having it. Given your usage pattern, you might not need it at all. (Note that your phone doesn't even need to be within BT range. If it's on wifi and your watch is as well, you can still take calls through your watch, etc.)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Would you see the advantage(s) for you to have cellular activated? Are you comfortable paying the additional $10 a month plus taxes for the LTE service? Would you want to use the Apple Watch without having to carry your iPhone with you in certain places? Those are all questions you need to ask yourself.

Last edited:

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Is it important to have a passcode on the watch? If so, Can it be the same as on my passcode on my phone ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.