Just Got AW 4 SS Milanese Loop. First day. I have Questions.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jaybar, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Do you think it’s important have a passcode on your watch? Do you find a completely necessary for your own protection? Ask yourself those questions.

2. Complex757 macrumors regular

Complex757

Do you have Apple Pay set up on your watch? It would also give them access to a lot of apps on your phone(e-mail, photos...).

And it can be the same as what's on your phone.

3. Ledgem macrumors 68000

Ledgem

For multiple reasons, I'd say so. Security is a big deal, but if that's not reason enough for you, I believe certain features like Apple Pay are disabled unless you have a passcode set up. Your passcode can be anything you want, including the same passcode as on your phone.

4. jaybar thread starter macrumors 6502a

jaybar

Thanks

I turned on passcode and set up Apple Pay.

5. Cnasty macrumors 68030

Cnasty

I only have the passcode on so it can unlock my Mac for me which is a great feature.

6. jaybar thread starter macrumors 6502a

jaybar

Unlock the Mac with the watch? How does that work? News to me.

7. Ledgem macrumors 68000

Ledgem

System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General > the bottom checkbox should say "Allow your Apple Watch to unlock your Mac" - both devices need to use the same iCloud account. There are some hardware requirements as well but unless your Mac is over a decade old I don't think you need to worry about them.

Just be aware that you don't necessarily need to be right in front of your Mac for this to work; depending on your room and Mac position, if you're even a few feet away your Watch could unlock your Mac if, say, someone else bumps it. Activate it depending on your living situation and security needs; it's a very convenient feature, though.

8. jaybar thread starter macrumors 6502a

jaybar

9. jazz1 macrumors 68000

jazz1

The watch does alert when the Mac gets unlocked.

10. Cnasty macrumors 68030

Cnasty

Yup, one of my favorite little perks of the ecosystem and so handy considering i need a password for my Mac for work.