Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
I never did receive that extra adaptor.

Of much greater concern though, is that my Hypermac battery no longer lasts anywhere near where it used to. Before it would do 9 hours straight, but now it's down to 5 hours.

Could the bad adaptors screwed up the battery cells? It was working fine before my adaptor died. Now, I've tried all sorts of different scenarios and still only get about 5 hours before it dies.

When will you get more of the 100wh batteries in stock? I'd actually like to swap the one I have and buy a second one.

there company is shifty, i have had a few people tell me there stuff sucks.

thank god for the 7 hour new notebooks

maratus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Canada
At the moment I'm not really satisfied with my MBP-100 100W which is supposed to have a life of 13.3h (I have a 2007 MBP 15''). I expect that it will last a bit less, maybe about 2-3hours less, but in a low utilization (mainly for development), the maximum time I can get from my battery + the HyperMac battery is about 5 hours, which is a huge difference from 13.3h.

I contacted the HyperMac support, and they are shipping another adapter as there are problems related to it as I already saw on pictures.

I hope it will resolve this problem, because the battery gets down very fast, and I can not have the use of my MBP as I would.

L.

What time do you get with same settings and utilization from your internal battery only?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
there company is shifty, i have had a few people tell me there stuff sucks.

thank god for the 7 hour new notebooks

So far it's working out for me; the only issue is every time I go through airport security (namely on international and foreign [non-US] domestic flights, I get stopped for 10 minutes because they can't figure out what it is and they don't believe that it's a battery (it's got a USB port, 8 cells that looks like plastic explosives and a controller chip).

leelith

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2009
If I look of what HyperDrive says, its 13h. For me, 5.33h is not equal to 13h. Maybe I missed something on my math courses at engineering school, I do not know ;)

Others are having a better battery life with the 100Wh. So having a total of 5hours, that's definitively not good, and I was doing only low tasks, without wifi on, only 1 excel file.

maratus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Canada
If I look of what HyperDrive says, its 13h. For me, 5.33h is not equal to 13h. Maybe I missed something on my math courses at engineering school, I do not know ;)

Others are having a better battery life with the 100Wh. So having a total of 5hours, that's definitively not good, and I was doing only low tasks, without wifi on, only 1 excel file.
Yes, you do miss something. Apple says 5h for built-in battery. That's why HyperMac says it's 13h. Your 2h are not equal to 5h either.

It's highly unlikely for MBP 15" to consume 30W when doing excel or any other office stuff.

So check activity monitor and find out faulty background process.

leelith

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2009
Yes, you do miss something. Apple says 5h for built-in battery. That's why HyperMac says it's 13h. Your 2h are not equal to 5h either.

It's highly unlikely for MBP 15" to consume 30W when doing excel or any other office stuff.

So check activity monitor and find out faulty background process.

If I refer to the HyperDrive site, battery has more life than my laptop (x 1.7 to exact). So, 13.3 (total hours in the best scenario) - 5(the laptop battery life in the best scenario) = 8.3 remaining (still in the best scenario...) for the HyperMac. Actually, I only got a maximum of 3 hours for the HyperMac battery (and I'm not using it as Apple does for its tests, as said previously). There are still 5.3 (= 8.3 - 3) hours running away. This is why that's definitively not correct.

maratus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Canada
If I refer to the HyperDrive site, battery has more life than my laptop (x 1.7 to exact). So, 13.3 (total hours in the best scenario) - 5(the laptop battery life in the best scenario) = 8.3 remaining (still in the best scenario...) for the HyperMac. Actually, I only got a maximum of 3 hours for the HyperMac battery (and I'm not using it as Apple does for its tests, as said previously). There are still 5.3 (= 8.3 - 3) hours running away. This is why that's definitively not correct.

But you should since those HyperMac's estimations are based on Apple tests.

ooo

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2007
If he runs his external battery dead in 2 hours, the hypermac is 1.7x larger, so it would give him approximately 3.4 hours. Since he's getting 3 hours from the hypermac, I would say its reasonably right except he's losing half an hour.

After repeated tests with my Macbook Air + 60watt I keep getting 3 hours max, that's the same amount with my internal battery. Now since my hypermac is 1.6x larger I should really be getting 4.8 hours, shrugs I lose 2 hours, go figure. I've yet to really see a review on blogs, just a lot of unboxing photos and videos. Maybe hypermac should allow users to review, comment and leave feedback on the website so people have a better idea of the battery life.

leelith

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2009
If he runs his external battery dead in 2 hours, the hypermac is 1.7x larger, so it would give him approximately 3.4 hours. Since he's getting 3 hours from the hypermac, I would say its reasonably right except he's losing half an hour.

After repeated tests with my Macbook Air + 60watt I keep getting 3 hours max, that's the same amount with my internal battery. Now since my hypermac is 1.6x larger I should really be getting 4.8 hours, shrugs I lose 2 hours, go figure. I've yet to really see a review on blogs, just a lot of unboxing photos and videos. Maybe hypermac should allow users to review, comment and leave feedback on the website so people have a better idea of the battery life.

My battery got 2 hours because it's used. The hypermac gives 1.7 more time based on a new Apple battery, which is 5 * 1.7 = 8.3 hours. The HyperMac battery has then a capacity to charge one Apple battery and (approximately) half (Apple's battery duration 5 hours).

Now I got my battery: 2 hours. The HyperMac is supposed to been able to charge 1 and half battery of Apple that lasts 5hours. Mine last 2 hours, but the battery is not supposed to provided my an extra of only 3 hours. It's supposed to charge it (approximately) twice. The battery charge capacity does not reduce because you're battery last 3,2 or 1 hour. If he as a 100Wh capacity, it remains 100Wh capacity, doesn't matter if you battery lasts 2hours. And if your battery lasts 2 hours, then from the 8.3 hours supposed to be, you should be able to charge it a maximum of 4.5 times.

If I follow your logics, if my battery lasts 30 minutes, the HyperMac is supposed to provided how much? A 45 extra minutes? ...

@maratus: I'm using less ressources than tests of Apple.

maratus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Canada
My battery got 2 hours because it's used. The hypermac gives 1.7 more time based on a new Apple battery, which is 5 * 1.7 = 8.3 hours. The HyperMac battery has then a capacity to charge one Apple battery and (approximately) half (Apple's battery duration 5 hours).

Now I got my battery: 2 hours. The HyperMac is supposed to been able to charge 1 and half battery of Apple that lasts 5hours. Mine last 2 hours, but the battery is not supposed to provided my an extra of only 3 hours. It's supposed to charge it (approximately) twice. The battery charge capacity does not reduce because you're battery last 3,2 or 1 hour. If he as a 100Wh capacity, it remains 100Wh capacity, doesn't matter if you battery lasts 2hours. And if your battery lasts 2 hours, then from the 8.3 hours supposed to be, you should be able to charge it a maximum of 4.5 times.
If I follow your logics, if my battery lasts 30 minutes, the HyperMac is supposed to provided how much? A 45 extra minutes? ...

@maratus: I'm using less ressources than tests of Apple.

What's your battery health? What's your CPU load? Do you have any background processes loading CPU?

You won't have 2 hour of battery life without any reason. It's either defective internal battery or high CPU load. If your internal battery is fine (close to 60Wh) then Hypermac is fine as well since it gives proper battery life ratio.

hnupe3

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2009
When to use your HyperMac Battery?

Should you use once the macbook pro's battery life is very low or should you use when the macbook pro is fully charged?

ltsching

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2008
To Hypermac:

Are the batteries compatible with other brands of notebooks, such as Dell? If so, do you sell different tips for other compatible notebooks or netbooks? Thanks.

flashcrosma

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2009
queens, new york
to Hypermac

in my opinion through the observation of those above disscusions, the most crucial part for the success of external battery power supply including hypermac battery for macbook or macbook pro should be the software which enables the mac os to recognize the external battery as battery rather than AC power source. external battery manufacturers like hyermac should really develop a software program under mac's os in this issue in order to maximize the life of external battery! btw, i think apple computer customers who enjoy to use external battery power supply should propose an action to Apple regarding the update of mac os with external power supply applications or the production of the apple's external battery with at least 7 hours directly!

tupelo3

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2009
Two questions:

1. What about using the USB out on the HyperMac to charge your laptop through the USB port? Will that work? And also will the laptop sense a battery backup that way as opposed to a power source?

2. Other than the QuickerTek and the HyperMac..... are they any other external battery sources for the MacbookAir?

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
discounts?

Anyone know of any discounts on these puppies? I see that one can get the car charge for free at this time, but they also have promo codes on their OES, which leads me to thing that in magazines, trade shows, vendors, there are coupon codes? A little spiff at the moment would probably give a nice pop to sales.

onyxgaze

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2009
Dud hypermac MBP-060

I just got my 60 Wh unit.

Plugged it into the mains for a few hours and the charging LED on the mains adapter glowed red and then went green.

I checked the battery status and all LEDs glowed green.

I plugged it into my 13" Unibody Macbook and the ON LED glowed green briefly and then turned OFF. All LEDs stayed OFF even on pressing battery status button.

I disconnected it from the Macbook and reconnected the charging adapter. On pressing the battery status button all LEDs glow green again.

So it looks I got me a dud Hypermac. I have raised a trouble ticket and now wait for a response.

Anyone else experienced the same?

Hypermac - any help here? Am in India so shipping this around for replacement etc is a big bother.

Thanks in advance.

findnemo

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2006
Man I want one of these so bad but the reviews on here are just pushing me back.

$300 is pretty high for a MBP external battery if users are only getting 5 hours.......and since they don't recommend the 60watt for a MBP I might as well buy a 7 hour $350 netbook.......

I don't know.

Macintosh Sauce

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2006
USA
I want to get the 222 W one for when my wife and I go on a trip. Most definitely, it would be nice to use my MacBook Pro for an entire trip plus have power left over to charge our iPhones.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I got a MacBook Air now, I ordered the adapter for my Air which cost $99 :(. I'll do some tests to see how it works out :).

I want to get the 222 W one for when my wife and I go on a trip. Most definitely, it would be nice to use my MacBook Pro for an entire trip plus have power left over to charge our iPhones.

I went on a trip this summer with over of 10 hours of driving each day. The battery was a lifesaver since we didn't really have access to a power outlet everyday. I had MacBook Pro for this trip and I could charge a few phones, and use my computer for a hour or two every day without ever having to charge the battery. I didn't get to time the usage, but it was an excellent an reliable product.

The only issue I had was explaining to TSA and airport security that my battery was indeed a battery and not a bomb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.