Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madoka

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
I'm beginning to think that Hypermac's support/customer service sucks.

I thought a MB 100. I had one of the bad AC adapters. I was promised a another one, but never got it.

So I ordered MB 150 for my Macbook Pro. Do NOT order this model. The finish is HORRIBLE. Whereas the MB 100 had a smooth aluminum finish like the Macbooks, the MB 150 has a very rough, scratchy surface - almost like a fine sandpaper. Seriously, I think I could file my nails with it! Unlike the MB 100 which came fully charged, the MB 150 came fully discharged. It took MUCH longer to charge. It wouldn't even charge up halfway after almost four hours. After trying it out, I found that it did not last any longer than the smaller, lighter MB 100. I emailed customer service to exchange the MB 150 for another MB 100. They told me that I have to pay a 20% restocking fee (so $80), if I wanted to exchange it for the MB 100. Since the MB 100 is $300 and the MB 150 is $400, it's rather pointless doing the exchange as I'll only get back $20 in credit. So, I'm hoping that the next MB 150 lasts longer than the first one. But if I knew that the finishes were SO different, I would never have gotten the MB 150.

brthauer

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2009
Hi I got my hypermac in June or july, it gets very very hot after about an hour, and right now I notice when its plugged in and Im on battery power it says next to my battery indicator on my Mac Book Pro 15 unibody (not charging) ??? is it ment to be charging when I have it plugged in? and is it normal for it to get sooo hot?

I upgraded to Snowleopard last week...also the computer is losing battery power whilst the HyperMac is plugged in...

It doesn't start charging untill the MBP battery has reached 0% then the Hypermac indicator lights go right down to 1..dot...

Rondue

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
PA
Thoughts after reading this post

I was thinking of getting a extended life battery, but after reading the non-sense on this post I believe its a safe bet not to even think about it anymore.

brthauer

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2009
Found a solution

I had to reset PRAM to get the HyperMac to charge the Mac Book Pro, why I don't know...but I lost power and had to do it again..any ideas?

MajorTCS

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2009
Farmington CT
Price of Cables

Just visited the Hypermac website. It looked good until they gave me a choice of cables. If you choose both MBP and MBA cables the charge is $99.00 MORE! I was interested because we have both laptops. The price of both cables is a NO-GO. Perhaps E-bay or someone else will remedy this "ripoff".

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
Just visited the Hypermac website. It looked good until they gave me a choice of cables. If you choose both MBP and MBA cables the charge is $99.00 MORE! I was interested because we have both laptops. The price of both cables is a NO-GO. Perhaps E-bay or someone else will remedy this "ripoff".

just choose macbook air, it will work perfect with any macbook , air , pro.

aflache

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2009
Tough real live test of Hypermac battery:

what are you getting for battery life with it?

Real live test of Hypermac battery:

Hypermac: MBP- 222 full loaded battery (advertised 32hours) lasted 9.5 hours under following conditions:
Laptop 17" MacBookPro screen light 3/4 on, running below applications and external hardware at all time of test.

1) USB Bamboo Fun Wacom pen connected and intermittent operated
2) Playing 2 x 2 hour movies and afterwards constant I Tunes Musik with loud speaker 1/3 capacity on
3) E-mail application open
4) Vectorworks CAD application open
5) 1 Aperture/ Camera download
6) Safari open and used for online search
7) Bluetooth on
8) One Mobil Me sync back up completed
9) Wireless connection on

By reducing some excessive testing conditions I may be able to survive a 13 hour working flight (including using my Laptop battery on top).

If you need to bridge long air travel without sacrifice, for peace of mind this top of the line battery may seems to be a minimum?

ryssedk

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2009
Hypermac works.....some cons though.....

Hey people,

First of all my Hypermac works great (222) and design is over the top.....but would never think that the most expensive battery you will ever buy have these cons:

1:
When you plug it in to charge it nothing happens, meaning you cant see that the device is actually charging, you will have to push the power button one in a while to see that it goes from 1-2-3 yellow button.

2:
The battery meter (show on the website as a red battery indicator) has absolutely no function and and will never show you any information.

3:
Talked to the support at Hypermac, and the reply for the lack of these function was "we chose to change this function in the last minute and if you wanna see if its charging psuh the button :(

4:
An extra cord to Macbook Air from the device is 99USD that is a steal, and not very service minded policy.

In my world i would think that these super simple functions would be a need to have since these functions would help to be able to monitor the charging process - i am amazed that a battery of this kind lack these functions.

/Rysse - Denmark

ooo

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2007
I've been using the device since it came out. I have the 60 watt and checked with a several others and its confirmed that it runs only 3 hours on a MacBook Air. I guess doubling the life isn't bad.

Over the time I've noticed several issues. If you have the DC Out cable connected to the battery but not the laptop, the battery is still draining (well at least the lights are on). Sometimes the battery won't work (even if it still has a charge) unless you plug it back into an AC adapter first. I guess you have to give it a little boot. If your laptop goes dead, this thing won't boot it back up. You'll still need the original charger or your out of luck.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
4:
An extra cord to Macbook Air from the device is 99USD that is a steal, and not very service minded policy.

Personally if I were to buy it again, I'd buy it with the MacBook Air adapter because that one can be used on all the current notebooks. Also I can't imagine the regular MacBook adapter costing HyperMac more than $35 to buy and convert. The Air adapter assuming they buy the Air bricks retail (which they probably don't… would be around $85 (with tax), making their $99 price on the adapters more justifiable.

rgbyhkr

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2007
Has anyone tried using some sort of USB splitter/hub to charge 2 devices at once? Just curious if this would work..

Jeff

ski bum

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2010
Hyper Mac

I ordered a Hypermac battery Nov 1 when I saw announcements that they were going to stop offering the Mag-safe adapters because of the lawsuit with
apple. based on the 2009 reviews, I thought the battery would work well and wanted to get it "before they stopped offering the battery".

the battery is still being sold on-line!
the charging lites still don't lite during charging; you need to press the Power Button as previously mentioned. it is hard to tell a full charge. (at least the instructions don't mention..)

DeeEss

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2011
I'm sorry to pull up an old post buy I'm really interested in buying the 222 model.

So I'd love to hear about long term impressions, long term battery life how long it lasted.I't s a lot of money to spend and the mixed reviews aren't filling me with any kind of confidence.

I'm really interested in hearing how long the 222 will last with one charge and having consistent usage and not just sat idle doing nothing.

I want to use this to power my laptop during location photo shoots.

THanks,

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.
Can anybody with tell me the specifications of the AC charger for the MBP-222. I've lost mine and need to source a replacement locally before I ruin it by leaving it completely discharged. I've emailed Hypermac but am still waiting for a reply and I want to buy one today.

Edit. - i should have looked specifications on their website. It is 12.6 volts and 5 amps. i won't be able to find that locally.

Last edited:

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I'm sorry to pull up an old post buy I'm really interested in buying the 222 model.

So I'd love to hear about long term impressions, long term battery life how long it lasted.I't s a lot of money to spend and the mixed reviews aren't filling me with any kind of confidence.

I'm really interested in hearing how long the 222 will last with one charge and having consistent usage and not just sat idle doing nothing.

I want to use this to power my laptop during location photo shoots.

THanks,

Okay.

I have owned and used my MBP-222 model since I first bought (at the creation time of this thread); recently the front controller stopped working. Basically it could be charged and it could power my computer, but otherwise the batteries worked fine. I emailed Sanho and they told me it was $60 (with return shipping) to repair the unit. I got it back after a week and now it works like it was brand new!

I can still last a whole day on this battery (I've been able to last a week without otherwise AC power with my MacBook Air). That 14 or so hours of use when I first purchased the unit? I still get those times.

It is one of the products I find has been very good value. I wish they still sold the real Magsafe cables like they used to (damn Apple!). This Magic Box contraption is interesting, but seems to add unnecessary bulk. Nonetheless, I would still recommend this to anyone who is interested.

DeeEss

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2011
Okay.

I have owned and used my MBP-222 model since I first bought (at the creation time of this thread); recently the front controller stopped working. Basically it could be charged and it could power my computer, but otherwise the batteries worked fine. I emailed Sanho and they told me it was $60 (with return shipping) to repair the unit. I got it back after a week and now it works like it was brand new!

I can still last a whole day on this battery (I've been able to last a week without otherwise AC power with my MacBook Air). That 14 or so hours of use when I first purchased the unit? I still get those times.

It is one of the products I find has been very good value. I wish they still sold the real Magsafe cables like they used to (damn Apple!). This Magic Box contraption is interesting, but seems to add unnecessary bulk. Nonetheless, I would still recommend this to anyone who is interested.

Hey,

I bought the 222 and it's amazing value. I use to power a laptop for tethered shooting with a came and it lasts a day of shooting. It's highly recommended.

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
Any recent thoughts on which battery pack is recommended? I'm traveling in a couple of weeks (6 hour flight) and was considerind an external battery device to power my 15 inch rMBP for a few hours beyond the capacity of the built in battery. I have seen a few brands to wonder which one is recommended or compatible with my laptop.

Thanks,

Francisco

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
RE: external battery...

Hi,

I find that the HyperJuice 2 roughly doubles the time on battery power (no AC) for a 15" rMBP. So if what you are doing gives you 3 hours of battery power on the rMBP, using the HyperJuice 2 will give you roughly 6 hours of battery power.

Regards,
Switon

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
Hi,

I find that the HyperJuice 2 roughly doubles the time on battery power (no AC) for a 15" rMBP. So if what you are doing gives you 3 hours of battery power on the rMBP, using the HyperJuice 2 will give you roughly 6 hours of battery power.

Regards,
Switon

What size? I am considering 60w model

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
RE: HyperJuice 2...

What size? I am considering 60w model

Hi,

I believe the HyperJuice 2 comes in only one size, 100Wh. The HyperJuice 2 is their latest design that differs slightly from the other HyperJuice models.

Switon

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
Hi,

I believe the HyperJuice 2 comes in only one size, 100Wh. The HyperJuice 2 is their latest design that differs slightly from the other HyperJuice models.

Switon

OK, I am checking out one in Ebay, most likely it is the original version, no the HyperJuice 2.

Thanks

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
I use a 60 W lithium ion battery from Voltaic to top off my MBA. It's $20 cheaper than Hyperjuice and easily compatible with solar arrays they offer, Nikon battery chargers, car chargers, etc. I use it for extended field work in the mountains and transatlantic flights.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.