Just got my PowerMac G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by KingKen1986, Aug 16, 2012.

1. KingKen1986, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2012

KingKen1986 macrumors regular

KingKen1986

Hi all, New to the forum. Just got my PowerMac G5 a week ago and absolutely love it. I dont care that you can't play new games or yada yada yada. I'm an IT and have many computers and HATE THEM! This is by far my favorite I have ever had. Come on people....LETS TALK ABOUT THE G5!!!!! The PowerMac is such a beautiful piece of machinery. What other computers can you open up and not see a single wire?? Mac's are amazing and when you are an IT you figure out really fast that computers are pieces of **** and that Macs are amazing and don't have problems like PC's. This thread is dedicated to the PowerMac G5 so lets hear what you got :D.

Specs are:
    1.6 Ghz G5
    3GB Ram
    9600 pro GFX (x800 on the way)
    80GB HDD
    10.5.8 leopard

Attached Files:

2. Liquinn Suspended

I agree 100%. I've not really used my Macbook Pro or Mac Mini as much. I love my G5 as to me it feels like a real Mac. Enjoy your purchase. :) :apple:

What spec G5 do you have?
    What OS is it running? :p Are you tunning Leopard or Tiger? :D

3. Zeke D macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

Frequently my G5 DP2.0 out performs my MBA, so I use it more than the air.

4. KingKen1986 thread starter macrumors regular

KingKen1986

Thanks for Replying!!!
    My PowerMac specs are as follows
    1.6 ghz G5
    3GB Ram
    80 GB HDD
    Radeon 9600 pro GFX
    running 10.5.8

By the way I just ordered a x800 xt for it. I am really excited.
    And about the fact that you can't play games on it. That is complete bull. I have been downloading games since I got it and every one that I have played looks beautiful. Yeah I can't play the Newest mainstream games but there are tons of indi games that are universal binary that work great!!! I have never been happier with a computer purchase.

5. DaKKs macrumors 6502

I never actually owned one, but i had a top of the line Powermac G5 at work until we replaced it with a monster pc last year. It had the fastest cpu available, dual 2.3ghz i believe it was, 8gigs of ram, 2 SSD's (system and scratch) and a quadro card. I tried talking my boss into selling it to me, but he had a recycling contract. It was a bloody monster. God I loved that thing.

EDIT: Although i gotta say that it didn't stand a chance against the new machine that replaced it. I'm pretty sure it outperforms a current generation Mac Pro.

6. Liquinn Suspended

Well, the G5 can still do what I need it to do. And I'll be keeping it a long time.

OP: What screen are you using it with? :p

7. KingKen1986 thread starter macrumors regular

KingKen1986

Right now I have a 20 in acer screen I am using with it. It's a pos and will be buying a nicer one soon haha.

8. Liquinn Suspended

True :) I know what you mean D: I hope you enjoy your Powermac G5 for years to come :)

What other Macs do you own? The Powermac G5 just feels like a real Mac if you know what I mean? :) :apple:

9. KingKen1986 thread starter macrumors regular

KingKen1986

Actually this is the only mac I own and it is now my main computer. I used to own a core 2 duo mac mini but sold it to a friend that was in need of a computer and wanted a mac. Yeah...the G5 is a mac mac. It is a true beast of machines and I can't get over how well it is engineered. My G5 was a Fine Arts computer and the University of Kansas. I work on some of there computers and they asked me if I wanted to buy this one for 50 bucks...can you believe that??? I have a few desktops that costed me a thousand and the G5 is so much nicer of a machine. Like I said I have never been happier with a purchase in my life haha :D:apple::D

10. Liquinn Suspended

I'm glad you're happy with the machine! :) What's the spec of the Powermac G5 you bought, where did you get it from and how much was it?

It'd be good to see some photos of your Powermac G5 :)

Yep, it's a lovely machine to use; shame that the Wireless Trackpad doesn't work with it though :(

11. DaKKs, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012

DaKKs macrumors 6502

Yeah, its enough for most people, but not a multimedia design company. Personally I would've kept it. But when you have a shot to enjoy a 7000$ computer, you shut up about the old one.

What you need, mate, is a cinema display. That's like pure, complete and utter bliss for you eyes. IMHO a mac without an SD/CD, should be a crime.

12. Liquinn Suspended

That's why I'm trying to get one for my G5. :p

The 24" Cinema Display doesn't work with the G5 does it?

13. DaKKs macrumors 6502

With an adapter, possibly. But I doubt it. I can check with my boss which one we had if i can reach him. Gimmie a minute.

EDIT: He hung up on me... Oh boy. He never does that unless he's pissed at somebody. Anyway, it was fairly big, 27 or 30 inch. I think i was 30 because the 27 seems to be a mini display port screen.

14. Liquinn Suspended

So if it doesn't work then me and the OP are tied to the silver DVI Apple Cinema Displays? :(

15. DaKKs macrumors 6502

I believe so, yes. Although, don't take my word for it. I only stepped into the mac world last year so i have limited experience with real macs. Until then, all i had were hackintoshes. (Before I get my head bitten off, hackintoshes are not illegal over here.)

16. Liquinn Suspended

Me and the OP will need confirmation on what type of Apple display to get, I think.

17. DaKKs macrumors 6502

Sorry, mate. Best i can do is tell you that the 30 inch screen worked because i have used it. Otherwise, while my google-fu is strong, I cant guarantee anything.

18. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Anything over 1920x1200 will require a Dual-DVI capable GFX-card.

The Radeon 9600pro is an update over 64MB GeforceFX5200 that was stock in that PMac-model but AFAIK you need an Radeon9650 or Geforce6600 to get tom such resolutions (unless you plan to run it via analog cable which isn't supported by the big :apple: displays).

19. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The silver Apple Cinema displays work on a G5. But the 30" needs a dual link DVI card for it to work properly. The ADC Studio Displays will work with most G5s as well. The OEM card and most upgrade Mac cards support ADC. But the late-2005 G5 does not support ADC.

The X800 is a good card. One of the best for the AGP G5 series. With that card alone, you doubled the value of your G5.

20. Liquinn Suspended

I need confirmation whether the 24" LED Cinema Display works with the G5. I'm not sure what the OP wants though. :p

21. KingKen1986 thread starter macrumors regular

KingKen1986

I am happy to hear the x800 helped the value so much. Just out of curiosity with the x800 and the specs of my G5 how much is it worth??? Because like I said I only spent 50 bucks on it.

22. Liquinn Suspended

There's no way of me using a LED 24" Cinema Display with the G5? I have to use a silver Apple Cinema Display? Damn :(

23. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

24. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If it's a real ATI Mac X800 and not a flashed card, that adds about $120 to the value. That G5 is the slowest one made, but still a G5. $50 may be a bit cheap for it and the maximum would be $150.

I don't think so.

No, that's going the wrong way.