Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphone1027

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
Just chatted with an AT&T rep online.

cuot5.png

Make sure you save that, in the event that pull a switch on you. Thanks for the info!

coasterswim

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
What if you put your SIM card in a phone that isn't compatible with a $30 3G data plan, though? Seems like mloffa might have a special case.

TurboSC

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2007
California
Why the hell would AT&T automatically remove a $30 charge for you?

Maybe I'm wrong but never in my life have I seen a cell phone company remove stuff off your plan without asking.

hahah so very true... who knows, they royally screwed up my 3GS upgrade dates last release, was a pain in the ass to get it resolved on launch day..

mrmike316

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2009
What if you put your SIM card in a phone that isn't compatible with a $30 3G data plan, though? Seems like mloffa might have a special case.

Thats the dilema i have what happens when i put my sim in a old flip phone,will i loose my unlimited data plan:confused:

mloffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2009

Try chatting and asking them. Then take a screenshot when they say you can keep it. :)

TeamDNA

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2009
I called att worried because online it showed that i had my phone in a non iphone in the pic.. but it did show iphone upgrade.. i called and said my phone is being fixed and i am using an old ATT phone and wanted to make sure that i wouldnt loose my unlimited plan for the upgrade they said no and checked in the system and it showed that i was still on an iphone plan

scotland007

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2009
I called the Premier line last night, told them i was using and old slider phone and that i wanted to confirm my unlimited data plan would remain active until i purchased the new iPhone 4. He confirmed that it would and that my upgrade eligibility would not change using the POS phone.

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
...if you sell your iPhone early and pop your sim in a non iPhone phone. The system automatically removes your data plan and if you try to add it back on, you'll be stuck with 2gig/$25 a month plan :-(....this sucks because I have an offer but need to have them wait until after launch....hopefully they're willing! :mad:

The only thing you can deduce from your call with AT&T is that you know what that particular rep thinks. Policies, procedures, and other communication mechanisms don't exist within the company. You could call 30 times and ask the same question "what color is the sky?" You'd get at least 12 different colors, 1 response of "no habla sky", a couple of disconnects, and at least a few insisting that they know but policy prevents them from telling you.

No offense to you. Seriously. It's just that I've lost faith in pretty much all customer service centers, especially AT&T. People are on help desks for one of two reasons: 1) you're new to the trade and learning the ropes (don't know much) or 2) you've been there for a long time and still don't get it (still don't know much, have a bad attitude, or just don't care).

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
wow... well per "Kevin" at AT&T corporate they WILL drop your unlimited data plan if you put the sim into another phone.

He told me that if they hadn't done it yet, they do periodic checks (wouldn't give me any time of time frame) on the phone plans on accounts, and when they notice it, they drop you off since you don't need it any longer.

He then told me if this happens, you CANNOT get the unlimited plan back. No if, and, or buts... just not gonna get it back.

Anyways, that's what I got when I just called 30 seconds ago.

This makes perfect sense.

Also don't be suprised if AT&T does an enhanced sweep of the network during the few days right before the iPhone 4 goes on sale. Would make sense. Kick off all those people just trying to hold onto unlmited plans without iphones.

So I won't be surprised if a lot of people here who don't have iphones who have data plans don't see them disappear right before 4 goes on sale.

What the guy above said about the blackberry makes sense too. Blackberry is a smartphone and still has the smartphone plan. He would not be kicked off in a sweep. People using cheap non smart phones are the ones likely in jeopardy.

h1w1nd

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2009
I was going to sell my iPhone tonight but I really don't want to take a chance losing my unlimited data plan.

I don't believe customer service reps. Unless I see a notice in writing to AT&T customers who sold there phones and get to keep the unlimited data, I'm keeping my iPhone till the 24th...

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
This makes perfect sense.

Also don't be suprised if AT&T does an enhanced sweep of the network during the few days right before the iPhone 4 goes on sale. Would make sense. Kick off all those people just trying to hold onto unlmited plans without iphones.

That 'don't' make a lick of sense.

Smartphones are the only phones required to have an associated data plan. Dumb phones, well, aren't.

Our unlimited data plan for iPhones/smartphones is a legitimate data plan for dumbphones. It'll be at a substantial disadvantage because we are paying for more than we're capable of using and don't get free txt and stuff, but ATT won't tell us that.

bigroot

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
Here is what an AT&T told me during chat:

Malekia Green: How can I assist you today?

ME: I want to sell my iPhone 3gs so I put my sim into an older phone. Will I lose my unlimited data plan or my eligibility to upgrade at the reduced price?

Malekia Green: What type of phone did you switch to?

ME: A sony ericsson w580i.

Malekia Green: Allow me one moment to look in to this for you.

ME: OK,Thanks.

Malekia Green: You will be able to keep the unlimited iphone data plan even if you switch to the sony ericsson w580i.

ME: What about the early upgrade status?

Malekia Green: Your upgrade status does not change until it has been used.

ME: Ok, thank you for the information.

Malekia Green: I was glad to help you today! Is there anything else I can assist you with?

ME: No, that is all.

I have already sold my iPhone on ebay and have been using this dumbphone for a couple of days now. No change in my data plan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.