Just got the white iPhone 4...What should I get on it

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ChasK510, Jun 19, 2011.

1. ChasK510 macrumors newbie

This is pretty much my first phone like its kind and I am feeling overwhelmed on what there is to do to it and with it. I wanted to ask some of you guys things I should get for it, apps to download, and other stuff that a newbie should know.

Thanks guys!

2. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Congrats and welcome to the dark side. Cookies are over in the veranda.

Now then, as to what to get. Its wide open. Everyone is different so they get and do different things. I, myself, enjoy the photography apps and games. Along with twitter apps (no, I don't use facebook...I read the TOS) and news readers as well.
    Also instagram. Its like twitter but only with pictures. Fun, simple, neat.

You, well you might prefer medical apps or fitness applications. There are literally thousands to choose from. Since there are so many, I suggest you look at the top 50 free apps. Then try some. Find out what you enjoy and what you like. Then you can narrow your fields down.

Oh, welcome to MacRumors and enjoy one of the greatest toys you'll ever have.

3. mckinnie macrumors newbie

I also recently got a white one. I don't have an awful lot of apps, but I do have some games. Tiny Wings, Bubble Blast, Cut The Rope, Fruit Ninja, Game of Life, Monkey Flight, and Air Penguin. As for other must have apps for me, SoundHound is a good one for identifying songs, Weather Channel, Pandora, HeyTell, Facebook, and Find My iPhone.

Enjoy the new toy!

4. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus.

It's like playing rainbow six on your iPhone. Amazing game.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The first thing you need is a case. I have a flip top case, since it also protects the screen and I don’t like that unsightly plastic crap covering mine.

6. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

8. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

9. kleinias macrumors regular

If you are feeling a little overwhelmed (which is completely normal with your first smart phone), the last thing you should worry about is jailbreaking your phone. Just have fun with the app store, there are a lot of free and "lite" apps that will cost you nothing and that should be a good introduction into some of the things your phone will help you to do. Apple makes it pretty easy, start with the app store's "top free" list and then go from there.

10. 306Designs, Jun 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2011

306Designs macrumors member

First, get Twitter, Facebook, any other social networking apps for sites that you use. As well as the weather network app for local weather. Then look at some games like Angry Birds, Cut The Rope, Buster's Flight (my game!), Tiny wings, etc.

11. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Fingerprints, definitely fingerprints. First thing to invest in for an iPhone is a wipe or a case.

12. Big D 51 macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

Facebook, skype, tapatalk, your bank app, bill tracker, gps app, gas buddy, some games, trip it and flight board if you travel a lot

13. viperGTS macrumors 65816

care to elaborate?

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

TOS = Terms of service.
    The poster said that he/she read the Facebook's terms of service and did not want to sign up for a facebook after learning what you have to agree to use facebook

15. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Main reason I NEVER post any pictures I take on facebook. I don't mind putting up some snapshots but not giving the rights to facebook of my photos.

16. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I haven't read the TOS for Facebook but I'll just take the assumption that everything on there is public. In that case, information I want private, I don't put on Facebook. As simple as that.

17. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Nothing to do with private or public but rather giving up the rights to your property.

18. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

There's several good ovulation tracker and menstruation cycle apps.:D
    Sorry. I couldn't resist. How can we help when we know nothing about your interests and needs?

That said: Yelp.

19. flipster macrumors 6502a

Not trying to be rude here, but 700,000,000 people are using facebook and you can make everything private if you want to. They don't care about you.

20. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Sure you can make it private. But if you've read through the TOS you'll notice that you truly are private. That Facebook hereby owns said rights and etc. etc. to any and all data put into and onto their website, databases, etc.

So while many think its truly private or anonymous, its not. Your pictures, information, etc. they have the right to sell and copyright.

As for facebook caring about me, I know they don't. But they do care about the 700,000,000 persons with precious personal information that they so willingly sell to bidders for said data. Yes, they can and will and have sold your information.

This is why I am not on Facebook. My data and information is mine.

21. viperGTS macrumors 65816

Woah, i had no idea they could do that with my information. Thankfully i took off my cellphone number a while ago, but they probably have it somewhere....

22. flipster macrumors 6502a

What data would they possibly want from you.....your pictures? put a logo on them if your worried about them that much. They don't sell your information to anyone..get adblock if your worried about that. little red icon that gets rid of all ads on every website, and gets rid of the stupid youtube video ads too.

Just strange to me TBH, I've never heard anyone so concerned about their name being exposed lol.

23. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

Infinity Blade. Enough said.

24. SR71 macrumors 68000

To each their own.