Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
So you ordered two phones with two separate lines and still got that?

weird

maybe they're trying super aggressive tactics to reduce scalpers, or something

So here’s what I did. The first phone I bought outright. So I selected “buy iPhone on existing wireless account”. Clicked my carrier (AT&T), selected the finish and capacity. And then checked out. Then I went back in and did the IUP phone. Basically the same thing except it was “upgrade my phone” instead of “buy outright”. So I’m a little confused as to what u mean by ordering for the same line. I have 2 lines with AT&T but I only upgraded one. But does that even matter. I mean, even if I only had one active line with AT&T I should still be able to buy another phone outright and give it as a gift or whatever. Right? Am I missing something?
[doublepost=1509357340][/doublepost]
Somehow it seems wrong to me that when product is in such high demand that customers are allowed to buy more than one phone per number. Sure a couple months down the road when the pent up demand is satisfied. Buy as many as you like. But at the start.

Sorta like taking two or three helpings at food line of wedding when people behind are trying to get their first plate full. Kind of boarish behavior.

I’m buying the second phone for my daughter. For Christmas. How does that compare to taking too much food at a wedding? Lol. It’s a 2 phone (to buy outright) limit. You can upgrade as many lines as u want as long as they are able to be upgraded.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
I got this email too. I chatted with Apple and the rep seemed to not know what was going on. Just said my orders are preparing to ship and I should be fine. I asked her to ask her manager to make sure, and she said that it’s if you have two orders on the same number with the same email.

If you do not cancel one, they will cancel the first order placed.

So if she is right, both won’t be cancelled. Only the first. This came from a manager since she had no idea herself.
[doublepost=1509358821][/doublepost]
Somehow it seems wrong to me that when product is in such high demand that customers are allowed to buy more than one phone per number. Sure a couple months down the road when the pent up demand is satisfied. Buy as many as you like. But at the start.

Sorta like taking two or three helpings at food line of wedding when people behind are trying to get their first plate full. Kind of boarish behavior.

Sounds like someone didn’t get their iPhone order in time...or didn’t get dinner at a wedding. lol

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
I got this email too. I chatted with Apple and the rep seemed to not know what was going on. Just said my orders are preparing to ship and I should be fine. I asked her to ask her manager to make sure, and she said that it’s if you have two orders on the same number with the same email.

So if she is right, both won’t be cancelled. Only the first. This came from a manager since she had no idea herself.

But I’m not sure what u mean by “on the same number”. There wasn’t an option to order any other way. Both my phones were purchased under my AT&T account, and my account (although I have 2 lines) is associated with my phone #. So both my orders say my phone number but one wasn’t an upgrade. One was bought outright. The first phone I bought (that is preparing to ship for 11/3) is the one I bought outright. The other, delivering 11/17-24 is the one for my IUP. How could I have bought an iPhone under a different number if I wasn’t upgrading? In other words there was no option when buying an iPhone full price. Just asked for my carrier and the rest was automatic. I’m a little confused. Also, I spoke with Apple last night and she said there was no problem with either of my orders. I’m gonna call again today just to make sure. This **** is too stressful. Lol
[doublepost=1509359770][/doublepost]Here’s the options you get when buying a phone outright. As u can see it shows my phone # at the top. But that’s because it says “this iPhone is eligible for an upgrade”. It gives u the option there to Check another number to see if it’s eligible for an upgrade. But I didn’t select that. I selected “buy a new iPhone”. And there are no options there to see what line it’s tied to. I don’t get it. Please excuse my ignorance if I am missing something.

Attachments

• A5963EC1-85D2-4CB3-B542-37FC1DC2182C.jpeg
    A5963EC1-85D2-4CB3-B542-37FC1DC2182C.jpeg
    263.2 KB · Views: 65

Icealicy

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
Ok so let me get this right:
I got the same email. On one phone number I got two orders in place. How this happened is remarkable due to ATT servers glitching.

So if I do not cancel one of the orders will Apple cancel one of the orders for me? Is this confirmed or is this what you guys think will happen?

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
When I called Apple last night they said there was nothing to indicate their were any problems with either of my orders. She assured me that I would get my phone on launch day. She made notes on my acct that I called about the email, and that 2 phones is correct. Which is the limit for outright purchases. She told me not to worry about anything. But until I get tracking info, I’m worried. Lol. I will be calling again today just to double check.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

Apple want to sell as many phones as they can. That’s their primary goal. How do they do this without annoying too many people so much that they don’t buy one at all? Yep, they decided two per customer. That’s all.

jeffu

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2006

[doublepost=1509358821][/doublepost]

Sounds like someone didn’t get their iPhone order in time...or didn’t get dinner at a wedding. lol

That seems odd to me - I'm sure that's what they said, but doesn't seem right. For one thing, if they were going to cancel one (or both) orders on their own, I would expect them to explicitly say that in the e-mail. If you read the email it just says to visit the site and cancel the orders you no longer wish to keep - nowhere does it say they will cancel one or both if you don't make a choice. Apple (as most large companies) is very careful about communications sent out and this wouldn't have been sent on a whim figuring people would know their orders would be automatically canceled.

I spoke with a rep via chat and he said they just wanted to make sure people that ordered two wanted two. He said the limit is two, if you have more, there may be issues, but two was fine.

I'm in the same spot - I ordered one paying outright, then got the "reservation" note and was only allowed to use the "upgrade" path, so I upgraded - so technically I should be allowed to get both and now have plans for the second one since there's two lines on my account.

All that being said, yeah, I'm still a bit nervous, but again I would think they would be up front if they were going to cancel one or both orders on their own.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Well here is what happened to me and my husband:

We both woke up and each tried to place orders, paying in full. Ultimately the goal was to ensure he got an Iphone X with a decent shipping date. We both used the Apple Store App and Apple Pay.

He managed to place his order first, but it kept defaulting to his work address for delivery. When I say he was having trouble I decided to keep trying to get into the store and make a second order on his behalf.

The store became available for me a few minutes later. It pre filled in my phone number and asked for the last four digits of my social security number. I entered that but the system rejected it, saying that was not the account holders number. I was half asleep and may as well been drunk for all that I was thinking straight. I was also rushing. You all know how it is. So I erased my phone number and entered my husband’s as well as his social security number. The system accepted it and I got a confirmation of my order in email. But that meant two orders for the same phone number floating around. That’s a not cool with their system or AT&T.

Days passed. Then yesterday evening, with no warning, I got an email informing me two orders had been placed for the same line so my order was being cancelled. There was no opportunity to change the number or to make any kind of appeal to anybody. I checked and the order was indeed gone. Fortunately my husband’s order with the better ship date for later this week is intact. So all is well.

However, had I wanted the phone and made that mistake and had the cancellation happen without warning or the chance to amend the order, I imagine I’d be pretty upset. As it is, they’ve saved me the bother of cancelling it once I was assured my husband’s order was good to go.

Pumpy8x

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2017

They want to sell as many units as possible. Hence there's not good to limit the number of units one can purchase. I bought 4 ones without problem, 2 would arrive 11.3, two on 11.17-24

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Well here is what happened to me and my husband:

We both woke up and each tried to place orders, paying in full. Ultimately the goal was to ensure he got an Iphone X with a decent shipping date. We both used the Apple Store App and Apple Pay.

He managed to place his order first, but it kept defaulting to his work address for delivery. When I say he was having trouble I decided to keep trying to get into the store and make a second order on his behalf.

The store became available for me a few minutes later. It pre filled in my phone number and asked for the last four digits of my social security number. I entered that but the system rejected it, saying that was not the account holders number. I was half asleep and may as well been drunk for all that I was thinking straight. I was also rushing. You all know how it is. So I erased my phone number and entered my husband’s as well as his social security number. The system accepted it and I got a confirmation of my order in email. But that meant two orders for the same phone number floating around. That’s a not cool with their system or AT&T.

Days passed. Then yesterday evening, with no warning, I got an email informing me two orders had been placed for the same line so my order was being cancelled. There was no opportunity to change the number or to make any kind of appeal to anybody. I checked and the order was indeed gone. Fortunately my husband’s order with the better ship date for later this week is intact. So all is well.

However, had I wanted the phone and made that mistake and had the cancellation happen without warning or the chance to amend the order, I imagine I’d be pretty upset. As it is, they’ve saved me the bother of cancelling it once I was assured my husband’s order was good to go.

Did either of you get the warning email to review/cancel your orders?

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
That seems odd to me - I'm sure that's what they said, but doesn't seem right. For one thing, if they were going to cancel one (or both) orders on their own, I would expect them to explicitly say that in the e-mail. If you read the email it just says to visit the site and cancel the orders you no longer wish to keep - nowhere does it say they will cancel one or both if you don't make a choice. Apple (as most large companies) is very careful about communications sent out and this wouldn't have been sent on a whim figuring people would know their orders would be automatically canceled.

I spoke with a rep via chat and he said they just wanted to make sure people that ordered two wanted two. He said the limit is two, if you have more, there may be issues, but two was fine.

I'm in the same spot - I ordered one paying outright, then got the "reservation" note and was only allowed to use the "upgrade" path, so I upgraded - so technically I should be allowed to get both and now have plans for the second one since there's two lines on my account.

All that being said, yeah, I'm still a bit nervous, but again I would think they would be up front if they were going to cancel one or both orders on their own.

Yeah. I have no idea how it actually works. Just relaying what the rep said. Actually, what her supervisor said since she was clueless.

We will see what happens. Both my orders are still in place. My first one is for in store pickup. Second one for delivery on Nov 3 (which is “preparing to ship”).

48 hours from the time I received the email will be around noon on Tuesday. I’ll call Apple later today to get more info.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Did either of you get the warning email to review/cancel your orders?
I got no “warning” email about anything being cancelled, etc. I just got the email I posted in the OP. And like I said, I called and both my orders look fine. Fingers crossed.
[doublepost=1509366553][/doublepost]And also in the email I got it says “cancel the orders you do not wish to keep”. It doesn’t say one HAS to be cancelled. The way the email reads and the way Apple explained that it’s just to remind people that they may have ordered twice by mistake, makes total sense. So I’m pretty sure all will be fine.

importraverxx

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
I ordered 2 on 2 separate line, one with IUP, one with ATT next, both preparing to ship 11/3 no problem. If you ordered on separate line it will be no problem.

yang88she

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
ATL
Got the same email, and I ordered 2 as well. The rep told me not to worry, but both of my orders were good, and mentioned that we are limited to 2 phones/number. I was also cautious/bit worried if it was bogus email or that apple would cancel both orders.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Hope it works out for you OP.

Thanks man! Just callled Apple again and he told me the same thing as my last call. And although he didn’t seem as knowledgeable as the first rep I spoke with, he did tell me that both orders look absolutely fine at this point. Good enough for me. (I think)

jeffu

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2006
Thanks man! Just callled Apple again and he told me the same thing as my last call. And although he didn’t seem as knowledgeable as the first rep I spoke with, he did tell me that both orders look absolutely fine at this point. Good enough for me. (I think)

Thanks for the update. I won't be comfortable until we see that 48 hour mark pass, but again, I can't imagine they'd just cancel orders without explicitly telling us. And you've checked twice now...

Prolif1k

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2009

He said he has two active lines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.