Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As rumors of the iPhone 12 have continued to build over the past few months, the one model that has the most excitement around it is the smallest 5.4" model. The iPhone 12 is believed to be coming in 5.4", 6.7", and 6.1" sizes.

iphone-12-mini-size-hand-c.jpg

Dummy models have shown how much smaller the 5.4" is compared to the rest of the iPhone lineup. The upcoming 5.4" iPhone falls in-between the size of the original iPhone SE and the 2020 iPhone SE, representing the smallest iPhone from Apple in years.

While Apple once advertised the relatively small form factor of the 4" iPhone 5 as being the perfect size for one handed use, there has been a steady growth in device sizes from the original 3.5" size to the largest 6.5" size. The smallest iPhone you can presently purchase is the 2020 iPhone SE which uses the 4.7" screen size of the iPhone 7/8.

While the rumored 5.4" screen size is larger than the 4.7" screen size of the iPhone 7/8, the removal of the Home Button from the body allows the overall device size to be smaller.

To see how much smaller, we've created these images that will let existing full screen Face ID iPhone owners see exactly how a 5.4" iPhone will feel in hand. Simply, open the corresponding image on your iPhone to see. Left and right aligned images are provided.

For the full effect, save the image to your camera roll and view in full screen. The iPhone 12 is expected to be released in September or October of this year.

Oct 15, 2020 Update: Images have been updated to reflect final iPhone 12 Mini design

Article Link: Just How Small is the iPhone 12 Mini? Try It Out for Yourself

Last edited:

rs0212

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2014
It was very nice size compared to 11 pro, too bad it’s not flagship phone, because i always been fan of compact phones, but i want best model.
I agree, it would be great to have an iPhone 11 Pro (or iPhone 12 Pro) in this size.
I actually may go from an iPhone 11 Pro to the base iPhone 12 model because of the size (if the rumors are true). I went from an original SE to the 11 Pro instead of the 11 simply because it was smaller than the base model. I have average sized hands for a guy, with a case on, my thumb just barely misses being able to swipe from the left of the screen to the right to go backwards. I have to grip my phone with two hands to do this now, where it was easily done with one hand on the SE. I know it sounds like a small issue but in practicality it is a huge hassle. I would almost certainly give up some Pro features to be able to Use my phone one-handily again.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
After owning a big phone for almost a decade, I wouldn't mind picking up something that was rather tiny.

Don't get me wrong, I've never had any trouble using a big phone one-handed or fitting it into my pockets, and at times they've felt cramped, but I do less and less with my iPhone now that my iPad Pro stays with me, and at times the Mini is close by.

Having a tiny phone seems almost exciting.

Now that I think about it, never mind. LOL. It'd be a nice secondary phone.

jimothyGator

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
it’s unfortunate we will never get the iPhone-5 form factor again ?

No, but this will be really close to the overall size of the iPhone 5. I measured the screen size (using the images MacRumors supplied) as approximately 2.25" x 4.8". The iPhone 5 body measured 2.3" x 4.9". With small bevels, the iPhone 12 would be only slightly bigger than that.

If this had the same cameras as the bigger iPhone 12 (Pro) models, it'd easily be my next iPhone. It may be anyway.

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
To see how much smaller, we've created these images that will let existing full screen Face ID iPhone owners see exactly how a 5.4" iPhone will feel in hand.
Errr, how can you see how something will feel?

Yes, you can view a smaller correctly downsized image of your existing display but your hand (or as Apple would call it, human haptic feedback) still says you’re holding a bigger X/XS/Pro etc.

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
It was very nice size compared to 11 pro, too bad it’s not flagship phone, because i always been fan of compact phones, but i want best model.

And it will be even nicer compared to the even bigger 12 pro. :)

It will be a hard choice. Best size or best camera …

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.