Just left Best Buy...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Gix1k, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

They will have all models on the 11th. Will not sell until 5pm. So here's the question..wait in line at Apple Store or go hit Best Buy. That means I have Apple Stores or 4 Best Buy's to get two purdy new iPad's from..
    Oh, they are not doing the giftcard, early placement thing. 5pm, first come, first serve..

2. marcellus7 macrumors newbie

i just talked to my local best buy and they said they'll be selling them that morning

3. iAAPL macrumors regular

iAAPL

It probably depends where you live. If you live in California, or any other high tech area, you stand no chance of getting one before 5 PM. If you live in one of those areas, where people still haven't heard about the new iPad, you just might stand a chance. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Managers supposedly have a target on their forehead in case they try to sell them early. Let's be honest. Most employees at Walmart are...ignorant.

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Agree but possibly WM's computer system is picking up the slack as it can keep SKUs "off the grid" until a pre-set time -- like 5pm. If a item can't scan it can't be rung up. Who needs employees.

5. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

Walmart has them in lock up till 5 pm, security will put them out at that time.

6. HXGuy macrumors 68000

One thing I wonder about...will Best Buy also close their stores for any time leading up to 5pm?

The Apple Store usually closes for the hour before the launch to setup the displays and such. I can't really see Best Buy doing this as they sell a whole bunch of other items (as does Apple but it's all their own products).

Best Buy may be a better choice to go shop at as you could get there say 2 hours early, see how the line is and if there is no line, you could waste some time browsing through the store and periodically check out the line which I assume will be formed outside the store.

7. iAAPL macrumors regular

iAAPL

Well, that hasn't exactly worked out in the past...

8. spinstorm macrumors 65816

It seems that there is a possibility that non-apple retailers MAY sell the new iPad early.

This is because they don't care about 5pm times and who is going to know? no one. Apple may not want it sold before 5pm but any sales before then won't make enough of a ripple to bother Apple at all.

If I was in the US I would get up early and hit all the stores in person to take my chances. At the end of the day you have nothing to lose and possibly can avoid queues later in the afternoon.

9. ExclamationKate macrumors newbie

I just got home from the Best Buy nearest me, luckily about 2 blocks away, and got a lot of "I don't knows." Spoke with a manager in the Computers department who told me:

1. iPads will not go on sale until 5pm.
    2. They will not do a ticket/voucher thing for people showing up early.
    3. iPad 2s may be $100 more than their iPad 1 equivalents. (Um... What?!)

The addition of that last point basically told me to disregard everything she had previously said. Since I'm so close, I may be making a couple trips. Good thing I don't work Fridays. :D

10. tomandshell macrumors regular

BB has lowered the price on all iPad 1s by $100. That would explain the price difference comment.

11. ExclamationKate macrumors newbie

Ah, now it makes sense! I left out a little of what she said, though. She stated the lowest price iPad 1 being $500 and the lowest iPad 2 being $600. While I'm sure the recent price cut is what she was referring to, she didn't have her numbers correct, and I just assumed she was clueless. Silly me.

12. chakram macrumors newbie

Yep that is right, iPad 1 are now 399, 499, 599 and iPad 2 are 499, 599 and 699.

13. MBPLurker macrumors member

My roommate works at best buy and got the full rundown for me. They should have a decent amount of each kind/color, they should have nearly all colors of smart cases, and the sku's ring up at 10,000$ from now until 5pm friday. Most stores will have lines forming inside unless there are a ton of people then it'll be outside. The store definitely will not close beforehand (best buy makes nearly nothing selling the actual ipad).

14. dadoftwogirls macrumors 6502

dadoftwogirls

Won't happen. Take that to the bank.

15. JPanther macrumors newbie

16. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

Good point..and Wal Mart is all about market domination so why would they cut their own throat??

17. tomandshell macrumors regular

They will be selling them that morning. For $10,000.

18. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

Did your Best Buy say how many they expected to have? For the iPhone 4, Best Buy pre-sold and had to return a TON of money to people because they didn't get the product to support their pre-sales. I'd rather risk my luck at an Apple store than Best Buy. Although I don't plan to buy one anyway.

19. gigaguy macrumors 65816

If you remember a year ago, the item that was hardest to find right after launch was not so much the iPad, it was the Apple iPad case (and the camera kit). It took months and months to find those easily at the apple stores, and almost never at beast Buy.
    I wonder if that'll happen again?

I think 3 colors of the new covers will be highest in demand,
    1-grey (P), 2-black (L), and 3-blue (P).

20. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

This is what I was wondering. My job is closer to Best Buy than Apple. I could also drive to Best Buy as oppose to driving to the Apple store on Michigan. Decisions, decisions, decisions :D

21. Davichi macrumors 6502

going to Bestbuy. I don't get off until 4PM. I have an appointment with someone for 30 minutes at 4:10PM. I am going to best buy around 4:50PM. I should be able to get 16GB wi-fi. I doubt best buy will be sold out.

22. MBPLurker macrumors member

since the stores didn't have then yet he could only see how many were on order, which was around 15 to 20 for each model number. No idea if they'll have all those on day 1 though.

23. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Some stores will receive them as early as tonight and others will get them in the next couple days.

24. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

Just stopped by BB and they said they will have no models at all on the 11th.

I'm in Canada.