Just ordered 27 inch iMac having second thoughts

Discussion in 'iMac' started by turbocamel, Oct 3, 2018.

?

Did I make a mistake, do I return the imac

  1. Yes, but wait till day 13 of return window

    11 vote(s)
    18.6%
  2. Nah just keep it, the update wont be for a while

    21 vote(s)
    35.6%
  3. return it un opened right away

    27 vote(s)
    45.8%
  1. turbocamel macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2014
    #1
    So long story short, I wanted to buy a machine before the back to school special died on sept 25th. My main laptop is hella old but we needed a family computer with storage so i figured Id get an imac, also I didn't want to be completely selfish buying myself a new top of the line 15inch mbp with upgrades before a family machine.

    Ordered the 27inch 3.8ghz, +16gb ram, with both mouse and trackpad. at like 1158pm on sept 25th

    The next day I realized I might as well update what I can from factory and do the ram cheaper later, I called in and changed configs. settled on this

    4.2GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz
    8GB 2400MHz DDR
    3TB Fusion Drive
    Radeon Pro 580 with 8GB video memory
    Magic Trackpad 2
    Magic Keyboard

    Also got some black beats headphones for free, nice to have. but now i'm left wondering, what the hell did I impulse buy. Is there going to be a huge update coming soon after i just dropped $2500

    and for those wondering, my laptop is a 2009 mid 13inch mbp 2.26 c2duo, upgraded to 8gb ram , 2x 500gb hds, slow as ****, but took me thru med school and residency, hardly use it nowadays. Now my plex server and photo repository can be moved to the Imac, and ill get a new 15 inch later.
     
  2. nambuccaheadsau macrumors 68000

    nambuccaheadsau

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2007
    Location:
    Nambucca Heads Australia
    #2
    The 27" iMac is a great machine BUT an SSD should have been the order. The 3TB Fusion has a 128GB Blade Drive. A 512GB SSD coupled with, if necessary, a 7200rpm USB3 external drive would be far better.
     
  3. jmiddel macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2010
    Location:
    Land of Enchantment
  4. Hater macrumors 6502a

    Hater

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2017
    Location:
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    #4
    Keep it for sure. So what if a new one comes out, a new one is always coming out.

    Personally i'd open it up and replace the 128GB SSD in the Fusion drive with a 1TB one, but that's just me.

    Keep it and use it.
     
  5. SilverBen macrumors newbie

    SilverBen

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2011
    Location:
    California
    #5
    Cancel and switch to as big an SSD as you can afford. Yes 8gb of ram is smart.
     
  6. gian8989 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2015
    #6
    Do you realy need an i7? As a home computer without any specific work task i don't see a reason for it.
     
  7. loekf macrumors 6502a

    loekf

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2015
    Location:
    Nijmegen, The Netherlands
    #7
    I have a 1 TB with 128 GB SSD Fusion (late 2014 iMac 27"). Speed is fine though.

    But I hope Apple finally wiill release SSD iMacs this year.. at a "reasonable" price (= not iPhone XS prices).
     
  8. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

    keysofanxiety

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2011
    #8
    Return it and wait for the rumoured Apple event later this month. If they reduce pricing or make SSDs standard on the 27"s, you'll get a lot more for your money.
     
  9. mreg376 macrumors 65816

    mreg376

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2008
    Location:
    Brooklyn, NY
    #9
    You bought an excellent machine, more power than you'll need for years, although I agree that if you can, switch out the fusion drive for a pure SSD. Don't listen to all the "Wait! Wait! A new iMac is coming out tomorrow!" Any new iMac you buy will be new when you buy it, and a year later there will be a new one everyone is saying you should have bought. And it is also likely the next iMac won't let you install your own RAM upgrade. As soon as that happens people are going to be crying about not having bought the current version...around and around. Good luck with your new machine!
     
  10. SkiHound2 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2018
    #10
    There's lots of speculation that new iMacs will be announced this month, but at this point it's all speculation. There's also speculation that Apple will wait till 9th generation cpus are available. And Intel seems to be having production problems. Additionally no one knows if the new iMac will be a significant redesign, or basically a spec bump. I'm looking at new computers and at this point I'm trying to wait it out. My system is outdated but still meets most basic needs. The 8th generation cpus brought more cores to the party; i5 cpus are 6 core, i7s are 6 core with multi-threading. For tasks that make use of multiple cores, they do offer a meaningful improvement. For tasks using only a single core, differences are probably not so significant. Pragmatically, for most of the things most people use computers for on a daily basis, there is little meaningful difference. I do a lot of photo editing using LR and DxO; the latter is especially slow when using their Prime noise reduction with large raw files, and more cores are supposed to be very useful for speeding that process. Folks doing lots of heavy video editing can use all the power they can get. But for most things... There's a adage that if you need a computer, buy it. As soon as you buy it there will be something better coming along to replace it. If you don't really need the computer now, wait. Bottom line is no one really knows when new iMacs will be announced, when they will be available, what they'll bring to the table, and what they will cost.
     
  11. sjackson macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2014
    #11
    I bought a new one 3 weeks ago and glad I did. If a new one comes out, so what. Stop second guessing Apple.

    I did get the 512GB SSD though.
     
  12. Fishrrman macrumors P6

    Fishrrman

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2009
    #12
    I agree with other posters above, about the SSD.
    Your NOT including this is the order was... a mistake.

    If it was me (and I realize your AREN'T "me"), I'd return it UNOPENED.
    I'd then order up a 3.5ghz (midrange) model with either a 256gb or 512gb SSD.
     
  13. klatox macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2015
    #13
    It’s a fine machine, to be sure. That being said, an update is most likely coming soon. If you feel like you’re going to have buyers’ remorse when the new one releases, then just return it before the window closes. Unless you absolutely need a machine right now.
     
  14. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2017
    #14
    I agree with what the others are saying, you should have gotten an SSD and you should probably wait for an update. But why not keep it for the return period? You have it and are allowed to use it for free for 2 weeks so make a good use of this time, test it out, use it as if it was yours and monitor your CPU, GPU, RAM and disk usage. At worse you wasted a bit of time setting it up and at best you now have a better idea of what you need/don't need from a new computer.
     
  15. idktbh macrumors newbie

    idktbh

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2018
    #15
    buy a thunderbolt SSD and boot the OS from there
     
  16. turbocamel thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2014
    #16
    Appreciate all the feedback about the SSD, tbh as with apple, the price increase is not proportional to the product received. I figured the CPU upgrade ($180) was a better usage of money than the ram ($180) because I can swap it out later. As far as my usage goes, I do a lot of photoshop work for photography, plan on running some windows based Sneakerbots, as well as a lot of PLEX server for all the tvs in the house.

    My current storage solution is not existant, I have multiple external hard drives laying around and I wanted larger storage space until I end up configuring my NAS in the upcoming months (15-30TB)

    Perhaps the 512SSD was probably the better move for an extra $100, I didn't even think of it based on sheer space loss.

    Is the HD on this IMAC user replaceable?
     
  17. Hater macrumors 6502a

    Hater

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2017
    Location:
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    #17
  18. Fishrrman macrumors P6

    Fishrrman

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2009
    #18
    OP asked:
    "Is the HD on this IMAC user replaceable?"

    NO.

    Not without prying the iMac open and VOIDING the warranty.
    Are you willing to do that?
     
  19. Porkchop Sandwich macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2017
    #19
    You've already determined that you've got regret due to the fact you failed to perform proper diligence. No big deal. No harm no foul.

    Return the item un-opened so that Apple doesn't have to bear the cost of examining the item for re-sale suitability nor the expense of putting the item through the proper channels to that end. Someone else will walk into your nearest Apple location and be thrilled the item's in stock and ready to go.

    JMO
     
  20. fathergll macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2014
    #20



    Do the above^^^.


    • i7 is not needed and run hotter. Unless you have a specific reason for getting an i7 for a family computer then go with the i5.
    • Get an SSD. Personally I wouldn't go under 512 SSD unless you are using external storage.


    Don't open it....just return.
     
  21. smirk macrumors 6502a

    smirk

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2002
    Location:
    Orange County, CA
    #21
    Well, everyone has their own opinion, but it really comes down to what you want and your level of urgency at getting a new machine.

    I haven't followed the iMac rumors lately. Is there a known release being announced within a month or two? If so, I think I would cancel the order/return it unopened and wait for that announcement. The back to school offer is nice, but you can also get very nice discounts on the refurbished store, should you wait and new iMacs don't arrive. (Anecdotally, I bought a MacBook Pro from the refurb store, and it appeared brand new in every way. It has run flawlessly since 2013.)

    You could buy a cheapo SSD and stick it in your 2009 MBP to give it a boost for a couple months.

    If new iMacs are not on the horizon then I would go ahead and buy instead of waiting forever.

    Some people suggested getting the iMac with an SSD and using an external drive for storage. I personally dislike dealing with external drives; they take up room on the desk, you have to turn them off and on and remember to plug them in, and now there are two places to store files and back up. Not a huge deal, but I prefer internal. My iMac has a fusion drive and it seems fast to me. When I first got it, the first few bootups were a little slow, but after rebooting it a handful of times it got much faster, presumably as the OS files got copied onto the SSD.

    My 2011 iMac had the top of the line Core i7, but my 2016 iMac has an i5. I really miss the i7's hyperthreading.

    Good luck! Whatever you decide to do, I think you will be happy. The current machines are great, and the new ones will also likely be great.
     
  22. TallManNY macrumors 601

    TallManNY

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2007
    #22
    That is an old computer you are using. I'd just try to hold off another 40 days or so and buy the latest.
    Agree that there is little reason to get an i7 over a current i5 (which I assume will be the latest if you buy the latest sometime in early November.
    You should know by middle of next week if there is going to be an Apple October event. If there is one (and there almost certainly will be), then you will know when Apple is going to announce new computers. After that announcement, you will know when they are for sale (which should be shortly after the announcement). You have only days or at most weeks to wait to be able to make a very informed decision.

    FYI, I'm getting by on PC until the new Macs are available. So I'm suffering along with you.
     
  23. oakrrl macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2006
    #23
    I’d return it - why not wait a month, see what comes, sounds like there’s no urgency? - and upgrade the RAM.
     
  24. MathewM macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2018
    #24
    You can also wait another month. Then another. Then you might as well wait until June 2019. Right?
     
  25. jaduff46 macrumors 6502

    jaduff46

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2010
    Location:
    Second star on the right....
    #25
    Agree with @Fishrrman and @fathergll above on returning unopened.

    Why not wait to see what happens with any announcement later in the month. Personally I’d go with at least 512GB SSD, i5 chipset since you don’t mention any video editing or games, and perhaps upgrade to 16GB of memory. Same $2300-$2500 machine, but the increased SSD and memory should be a great machine for a long time.

    Best of luck!
     

Share This Page

63 October 3, 2018