Just ordered an iPhone - MISTAKE?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KidFresh, May 11, 2009.

1. KidFresh macrumors regular

Caveat: me = iPhone noob (in NYC) / Have long inquiries

I just ordered yesterday a refurbished 8GB iPhone for $99 + tax. Should be receiving it on Wed., 5/13.

My Verizon Motorola Q of 3 yrs. (less a missing keyboard button and a battery cover :rolleyes: ) is on its very last leg after it's latest meeting with the ground.
    I also pay too much for monthly service - $95 incl. taxes. Interwebing on it sucks.
    I've been quite happy with VZW call service tho which why I stuck with them for over 7 yrs. Others say AT&T service here in NYC is just OK.

I browsed thru the forums quite a bit but couldn't find an answer to this:

As you know, rumors are that "iPhone 3.0" will be introduced next month in early June at the WWDC conference.

If the speculations are true and the new version is released (again, I speculate) on ~ June 10th, will AT&T allow me to buy the new version and return the current 3G iPhone?
    I'll still be within my 30-day evaluation period. However, I do not want to go through the process of making a full return and then having to set up a new account.

Should I just wait til June? And not accept the package on Wed. when it arrives to my home and cancel the order. I know it's kinda douchey.

Thanks!

Also, are there other codes I should know about besides "TBM9" for txt msgs.?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Well, you can talk to AT&T about it.

3. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

I love my 3G and most likely won't upgrade, but it's up to you man.

4. Cap41 macrumors 6502

i thought the upgraded new phone was really just memory size, I thought it was to function the same as the 3G version. Just a 32G version.

5. KidFresh thread starter macrumors regular

Well, no one really knows right now what new features/functions it may have. I'd still like the option to buy one at a "new customer" (and reasonable enough) price if they are significant.

6. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

Take it back , the new iPhone will be announced in June and released either later that month or at the beginning of July. It seems it will be a good upgrade especially if the outer casing is sturdier. I just know you may be kicking yourself when it comes out :D

7. mikey28 macrumors 6502

Actually, I don't think you made a mistake.
    You paid very little for the 3G (compared to what they originally went for)
    So if you end up wanting the next version, well, ok then.

8. KidFresh thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, it is a bargain when compared to the past.

Lol. The part that stinks is that I know that AT&T CS will not be able to give me any definitive answers when I call to activate my phone since a new iPhone is just speculation at this point. They may consider me as already under contract and not offer a "new customer" pricing for the new version.

9. StuddedLeather macrumors 6502a

Yes. . . It was a mistake. You should have held out for just a little longer.

10. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I'll echo the others. You made a very grave mistake. Now hurry along and try to undo what you have hastily done.

11. KidFresh thread starter macrumors regular

Lol. If you take one look at my current phone's physical condition, you'll realize it was done out of disgust.

The iPhone is already in transit via UPS. I guess there will be no one home when UPS comes knocking for three straight days.

12. mrrish macrumors regular

mrrish

It's only a mistake if you made the decision out of impatience. New phones come out every year to make the previous generations defunct. Instead, if the phone is meeting your expectations, be happy with that.

13. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Disgust is fine, but it's still working, right? Just think of it as a character builder. You'll get rewarded in a month or two for your pains.

You don't have to ignore the UPS man. Just send it back - you get 30 days to opt out.

14. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A312g Safari/528.16)

I would absolutely agree, except that the OP seems to be very price conscious. With that in mind, perhaps it wasn't a mistake after all. There's very little chance that the new iPhone will be anywhere CLOSE to $99, I'd imagine it will be closer to 3-4x that.

15. KidFresh thread starter macrumors regular

Impatience? No. I've used the same phone for the past 3 years. A lot of people hate the WM5 OS of which I've been able to put up with. I use it for non-authorized laptop tethering a lot too. I've gotten very used to my phone to say the least and haven't been under contract for almost a year.

16. KidFresh thread starter macrumors regular

I'll gladly pay whatever price is set for new customers for the next version release. I just rather not have to pay a higher price for upgrading to one b/c I've been already using the 3G iPhone for a few weeks.

17. JCastro macrumors 6502a

I don't think you made an outright mistake.

If getting an iPhone at a great price, or really wanting an iPhone right now, or needing a different phone right now are you goals, then no, you did not make a mistake.

If you don't care if you spend more money on an up-to-date iPhone because you just want to have it and you can hold off for a couple more months, then, yes you made a mistake. If you are going to hold off you need to talk to AT&T about it. You must have made some agreement with them to get the iPhone on its way to you. That agreement will still stand even if you don't answer the door.

18. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Just wait till you see the iPhone4G-only apps :p

19. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A312g Safari/528.16)

Fixed. ;)

Anyway, I guess if you want the new phone you should wait. If not, keep the refurb.

20. KidFresh thread starter macrumors regular

Good points you all make.

How bout this... I use the 3G until the new one comes out. Then, if the new version is released, I can just sell the 3G to make up the difference between subsidy pricing and non-eligible pricing for the new. Will this work out?

I haven't paid enough past attention to Apple iPhone/AT&T pricing shenanigans to know if that's viable. Obviously, the resale value of my older 3G model will instantly take a dip as soon as a new version hits the streets.

21. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

But, why go through this hassle? And you will have to pay more if you go this route (selling the 3G and then buying the new iPhone full price).

22. daonesteven macrumors 6502

Aside from all the hassle, this all depends on how much you'd be allowed to buy the new one for. Having been only 1-2 months since you gotten your 3G, you're probably not going to be able to buy the new one for cheap at all, if not full retail price. I feel like you're definitely going to lose money on your plan of action.

and i really wouldn't settle with keeping your 3G even though the upgrades might not be that great because a new one is just around the corner so...unless you don't want to go through the hassle of returning it...

23. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

If it makes a difference to the OP, and since no one's pointed it out, it might be worth clarifying that two relevant products are expected next month: new iPhone hardware that supersedes the existing "iPhone 3G", and iPhone OS 3.0. The phone the OP has already ordered will run the new OS, which will be available to all iPhone owners as a free download once it's released.

So, whether or not it was a 'mistake' to order the phone depends on your budget and what you want to get out of the phone. If you want the new hardware features (rumored to include magnetometer, FM receiver, upgraded processor, etc) you made a mistake, but it will cost you a lot more money than the $99 you already spent. If you mostly want the new OS features (copy/paste, search, MMS, etc), you didn't make a mistake as those will be available to you at no extra charge.

Hope that helps.

24. JCastro macrumors 6502a

I don't necessarily agree with this. It may or not be true. The demand for the 3G's will dictate the market price. For the first time you will have potentially a lot of 3G's being sold as people upgrade. So for the first time you are going to have a market where people can buy them without all the strings attached from having to walk into an AT&T store or Apple store. They can then be jail-broken and/or unlocked. I am sure that there will be a demand for them and I am sure that those that are selling will want to get top dollar for them so they can reinvest the money into the new version.

Very good clarification post!

25. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

yes its a mistake

I actually think its a huge mistake..
    2 reasons..
    Waste of time if you planning on getting the new iphone when it comes out..
    AT&T return policy on IPHONES ONLY is 14 days plus 10% restocking fee...
    Third thing is if you decide to keep it.. who knows what the upgrade policy is going to be. Even if the iphone came out tomorrow(hypotheticaly). They will not allow ANY exchanges that day during launch...so you still wouldnt get an iphone till maybe a week or two after it comes out...