Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to upgrade to 500GB now that it's available for all laptops?

• Yes, I'm ordering it now/as soon as it's available

Votes: 17 19.1%
  • Yes, but when the prices go down

Votes: 34 38.2%
  • No, I just upgraded my hard drive

Votes: 13 14.6%
  • Not interested

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • I won't do self-upgrades

Votes: 6 6.7%

• Total voters

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I'm so excited; I know the website says "Pending" but I went ahead and ordered the drive anyways; I'll be putting it in my Macbook Pro; it wasn't too bad waiting for this model. I got overnight shipping, so when it's available, I'll have it the next day.

And I go have the 17" and I could have gotten the Hitachi, but I prefer to have bit of space between the drive and the chassis for heat dissipation.

Anyhow, anyone else going to order it now?

andrewdale

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Memphis, TN
I don't have the money right now to buy one, so maybe when the prices come down. Or, maybe I'll come across some cash somehow and get one. I would love to boost up from my 200GB right now. I'd easily sacrifice the 7200rpm for 300GB more.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I'm so excited; I know the website says "Pending" but I went ahead and ordered the drive anyways; I'll be putting it in my Macbook Pro; it wasn't too bad waiting for this model. I got overnight shipping, so when it's available, I'll have it the next day.

And I go have the 17" and I could have gotten the Hitachi, but I prefer to have bit of space between the drive and the chassis for heat dissipation.

Anyhow, anyone else going to order it now?
I will be getting a 500GB HD for my MBP.

However, I haven't decided on which brand. Get the Samsung now or wait until others introduced 2.5" 500GB HDs.

Where did you order yours?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I will be getting a 500GB HD for my MBP.

However, I haven't decided on which brand. Get the Samsung now or wait until others introduced 2.5" 500GB HDs.

Where did you order yours?

OWC. It still says pending, but I hope it's soon. In fact they all say pending; I believe ZipZoomFly is on backorder as well; I got the OWC one, because I like that enclosure.

I would have waited for others, but I told myself I didn't want the Hitachi and I would get the first one with the standard formfactor, so this is it.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
OWC. It still says pending, but I hope it's soon. In fact they all say pending; I believe ZipZoomFly is on backorder as well; I got the OWC one, because I like that enclosure.

I would have waited for others, but I told myself I didn't want the Hitachi and I would get the first one with the standard formfactor, so this is it.
I take it that you are ordering the one in the case, like this.

kwfl

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2007
i have jsut upgraded from 160GB to 320GB. It will be a waste of money to buy this one now. Probably i will wait for the 640GB one. I only want double of what i have. :D

But who knows, if that 640GB drives does not come out, i will buy the 500GB when its price falls.

kwfl

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2007
It is even very expensive now. Unless someone is doing real work on their MBP, i cant imagine anyone paying that much money.

nyc2socal

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2007
I will after I order my MBP.. I'm actually waiting to see if a new one is announced at WWDC.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
It is even very expensive now. Unless someone is doing real work on their MBP, i cant imagine anyone paying that much money.

Right now I have about 10GB of space left... So I need that space.

Looks like all that free music isn't free after all :D

Note: I buy music

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
Well, I'm very interested in getting this drive for my MBP, but as I indicated in the poll, I can wait a while till the price drops.

Vanarak19

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
300$+ is much too steep for me. Ill look for it @ 200$, and then take the dip.

my 200GB can hold me over for now.

plus they arent even in stock yet, could be weeks! Ill pass for now.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Do you really need that much space on a laptop?

Assuming you have a desktop/server at home where you can throw a few gig and raid it, why not keep most of the data up there?

That's what I do... I keep some data synced, but just the stuff I need when I'm on the road in some way.

I've got a 250 GB drive right now - half for windows and half for mac...

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Well I have a ton of music I want to be to able to keep on my computer; and I'm running like 10GB free right now; you could say I don't need 200GB+ of iTunes stuff, but I want to able to call up my stuff when I need it without lugging around external HDDs. On my desktop I have 1.5TB and maybe 40GB free, so when it comes to storage needs, sky's the limit.

kwfl

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2007
if someone is installing FCS in a MBP, it will take about 50GB of space, but i cant image anyone doing it there. Logic studio also takes similar space.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
if someone is installing FCS in a MBP, it will take about 50GB of space, but i cant image anyone doing it there. Logic studio also takes similar space.

Oh crap; I'm uninstalling that; I didn't notice the 50GB requirement when I installed it; all I did was check everything... :rolleyes:

pmbooks

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
California
For the time being I'm going to be working FCS on my MBP, so yes, I'm deciding whether to tie the extras to the desktop (external) or being to have them on the laptop, transportable. I'm also considering what's available (or will be shortly) in a 320GB 7200. Anyone been able to snag one of these yet for their MBP? (Samsung, Hitachi, and Seagate all have them announced, with the latter appearing to be closer out-of-the-gate for retail.)

alphaod

macrumors Core
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
For the time being I'm going to be working FCS on my MBP, so yes, I'm deciding whether to tie the extras to the desktop (external) or being to have them on the laptop, transportable. I'm also considering what's available (or will be shortly) in a 320GB 7200. Anyone been able to snag one of these yet for their MBP? (Samsung, Hitachi, and Seagate all have them announced, with the latter appearing to be closer out-of-the-gate for retail.)

World IRC
has the Hitachi 500GB. He's lovin' his.

anubis26

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2008
I would much rather have an external RAID array and keep all large files that aren't used much on there instead of sacrificing speed on the laptop hard drive.

Plus, don't Hitachi's have high failure rates?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.