Just pre-ordered my iPhone 4!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by troop231, Jun 14, 2010.

1. troop231 macrumors 603

From Radioshack! They gave me a $50 gift card that can be used to purchase it when it comes in (deposit if you will). Anyone else done this?

2. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

3. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

You have to pay $50 for a deposit, so they just give you a $50 gift card.

4. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

You do know that they are probably not legally allowed to let you pre-order it yet, let alone take money from you?!

5. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

For what is the gift-card? This OP is pretty trustworthy so I don't think that he is lying,

6. Jnyce macrumors regular

50 dollar gift card if for the deposit on the phone......

7. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

Probably, but I live in a small town, so the manager said I'll let it slide, and that he would officially put in the order tomorrow morning.

8. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

So are you guaranteed to get it on the 24th? Seems a little sketchy.

9. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

This has been on here before. RadioShack is actually just writing down names to call when preorders start. It's not a real preorder until tomorrow, people!

10. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

So basically you just paid for a $50 gift card and your name on a list? No offense meant to you, but....

11. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

I did not say that the poster was lying, just that RadioShack could be the shady ones in this case. They actually just sold the poster a gift card, with word that they will place the order. Who is to say that they actually do. Then, not only will the poster be stuck with a RadioShack gift card, but no iPhone. Or Apple can turn around and say that these people need their money back and have to do it properly.

12. snsr macrumors member

Who cares? Since when does Apple dictate the law?

13. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

This is the correct process, but I wouldn't trust it very much.

My best friend manages a Radio Shack store, and even he won't take my money ahead of time until he knows all the details, and he won't know the details until tonight.

It will probably be fine, but my friend isn't totally sure I can pick up a phone on launch day yet.

14. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

I am not saying that it is real, but I would not want to put my money and iPhone in their hands. :)

15. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Basically that seems to be the case. And now he needs to spend a $50 gift card at RadioShack. RadioShack automatically gets you to buy $50 with of merchandise from them, so really RS comes out as the winner here.

I fail to see the reasoning behind why the OP did this, these things are NOT going to sell out in a matter of hours, and you just wasted $50.

16. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

Since they began making the phone? They get to set the day and time it goes on sale.

I would also bet that the poster will care if something happens and does not end up with an iPhone. We are not sure of how many they will even have, so I doubt they know. What if they take more orders than they have stock?

17. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

The OP could be trading in an iPhone which could be a reason behind the preorder. I would like to do the same thing, but I just don't trust Radio Shack. I can imagine that their stock #s may be pretty low.

18. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

No, I get to use the gift card on the iPhone itself once it comes in on the 24th.

19. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

Is that how they are tracking how many they have? Like a special stack of gift cards that are labeled and what not?

20. TehReaper macrumors regular

Actually I talked to the manager who was just given the info about radio shack When you place your order your given your 50$ gift card, they will also hand you the serial number that they have on there machine which is your iphone 4's SN. there stock is based on the pre-orders, if a store gets 100 pre-order they will get 100 phones.

21. troop231 thread starter macrumors 603

Perhaps. The main reason I went through Radioshack and not the Apple website is because I don't want to have to be home to sign for my package if I have to work that day. Also, the Radioshack is in the mall where I work at Sears, so if I work that day, when I'm done I'll simply walk down and pick it up.

22. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

That makes no sense because how do they know which phones they are getting. It is not like they are on the phone with Apple every time a customer walks in the door. There is no way to set specific phones aside. Plus, this means that they will have known on launch day?

23. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

If they don't know how many iPhone they're getting then how would they give you a SN?

24. TehReaper macrumors regular

from what he told me they have the same software that is run at apple for pre-orders and activations. I'll find out tomorrow when i go pre-order 3 iPhones for all my 3 upgradeable lines.