Just purchased an Envy to compare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Opstech, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

Hello mac users. Don't get me wrong, I love my mac. My wife was in need of a new laptop because she did not like the MBP I handed down to her. She loves how it looks, but couldn't get used to the OS change. So we just ordered the HP Envy for her from HP.com. The specs are:

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-540M Dual Core processor (2.53GHz, 3MB L2 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 3.06GHz

4GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm

500GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive

1GB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 5830

15.6" diagonal Full High Definition LED HP Ultra Brightview Widescreen Display (1920x1080)

Intel Wireless-N Card with Bluetooth

6 Cell Lithium Ion Polymer Battery

To tell you the truth, i'm excited to see it because I think the macs will have the same setup. If so, and if the Envy rocks my uMBP, i'll upgrade to the new uMBP.

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

1920x1080 on a 15.6" panel....*drool*

How much was the Envy spec'd out like that, $1600 or so?

3. Scorch07 macrumors 6502

Hah, funny, that's pretty much exactly what I'm hoping for in the new MBPs...

4. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

1920x1080, the 1 GB ATI 5830 :eek:

Those specs + blu ray would pretty much be my dream laptop. I don't care if it costs $2500 to get a MBP specced out like that.

5. Steve Jobs. macrumors regular

Wow the HP Envy looks like a rip-off of the macbook pro.....

[​IMG]

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Thanks captain obvious. :rolleyes: As if you're the first to notice.

I kind of like the look of it but would much prefer OS X.

7. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

8. Cali3350 macrumors regular

*shrug* it looks good, thats really all I care about.

If the envy had a backlit keyboard id be all over it. With the extended battery it gets ~9 hours battery life *drool*

9. Prhymeate macrumors member

I hope she likes it. It is getting increasingly harder to wait for the update and i'm ever more worried that i might be disappointed. I REALLY want the resolution to be upped on the new models.

10. Steve Jobs. macrumors regular

Honestly, i think you should keep the envy, it looks awesome. I don't think the new Macbooks would really match those specs anytime soon.

But if they get released within the return period, then you could think about an exchange =P

disregard the fact that im Steve Jobs.

11. fluent617 macrumors member

How much was all of this?

12. MarkCooz macrumors 6502a

so it doesn't have an internal cd/dvd/blu-ray drive?
    :( it looks nice, but i'm still with with Apple :apple:

13. Steve Jobs. macrumors regular

i was interested too, so i went to the HP website and customized it to those exact specs and it came out to be.....DRUMROLL PLEASE

$1624.99

pretty awesome IMO.

14. seanconn macrumors member

:eek::eek: WOW the 15" Envy starts From $2,199.99 !?!?!?!?!?! :confused:

I'm sorry but how the hell does that work? 1700 would be the absolute most I would pay for one of these (In Canadian Dollars)

I can get a previous gen 15" MBP from the refurb store right now cheaper than I can get an HP Envy. I could buy a MBP today and sell it in 2 months say.. when the new one comes out, and lose like 150 dollars. If I did that with an HP Envy I would probably lose 300 at least.

I'm as disspointed as the next guy that the MBP lineup hasn't been updated. But I'm sure as hell not going to go out and buy a freaking HP laptop (which is wayyyy overpriced) and then deal with installing OSX illegitimately... not unless I'm saving money in that situation!

The only thing that the HP envy listed in the OP's post can do better than the current gen mbp is game better... new games like Mass Effect 2 would look a lot better, and Crysis would be able to run on medium settings, (maybe).

Other than that a non i5, MBP with a 2.8 core 2 with 4 gb of ram will do everything the Envy can besides high performance gaming. (Including Run Windows 7 ..... :rolleyes: )

Sure the i5 will do other things faster like compress a zip file... but good luck doing video editing, or anything else that is virtually mac only.

everything else.. iTunes, Safari, Firefox, UTorrent, should all run just as well i5 or 2.8 Core 2 duo. I'm waiting for the next update because I know it will be a CPU upgrade, and from what everyone else has been speculating, a GPU upgrade. I want to play the newest PC games, so I at least have a reason for waiting for next update. If I didn't want to game, I would have bought a 13" mbp or even a MB already...

even when the new ones come out, I might even go for the 2.8 mbp in the refurb store which will probably drop down to 1799 or so in the Canadian store.

1799 for a MBP vs 2199 for an HP Envy... complete no brainer.

Give us an 13 or 15 HP Envy for 1100-1500 with a gaming grade gpu, and then I will consider buying one over a MBP. But to pay more for something that has resale value equivalent to dairy products.... that's just not a smart purchase in my opinion! :apple:

15. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

Nah, not into any workable state.

16. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

The HP Envy with the Core i series processor gets hot to the EXTREME!! I've played with and it nearly burnt my hands trying to hold it. I could feel the heat coming out of it without even touching it.

17. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

Wow even with those specs it still has great battery life.

PS: Am i the only one who thinks the name "envy" is kinda of ironic.

This reminds me of the "Iphone killer" handsets.Now instead of phones it's laptops.

I'm still impressed by the specs though.

18. Opstech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Opstech

Total Cal-Tax and work discount, $1588.69

19. Opstech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Opstech

Agreed....But it's the mac OS I want with those specs.

20. Opstech thread starter macrumors 6502a

Opstech

NO NO. The envy is for her. I have a new uMBP. If the specs match the new uMBP release, i'll sell the uMBP I have now for the new one.

21. fluent617 macrumors member

22. Winters macrumors member

Is it true that the envy actually has good quality speakers? Headphones are nice and all but sometimes I just dont want to bother with them :p

23. neoark macrumors member

neoark

24. njalijoe macrumors newbie

25. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

$1799 will get you a MBP with... a 2.53GHz C2D, 4GB/250GB 5.4k and a crappy 9400M. $2199 will get you an Envy with... a Intel Core i7 720qm, 4GB/500GB 7.2k and a (quite powerful) ATI Radeon 5830.

Also are you saying that video editing is Mac only? :confused:

Good luck playing Crysis on that 9400M on your 1799 MBP...

So you're right. it is a no-brainer. I'd (and most others) would take the Envy... unless you're saying you'd take the Pro? ooooh fanboyism to the max :rolleyes: