Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009
The ENVY feels like a flimsy low quality chinese knockoff. Don't believe me? Go to BestBuy and experience it for yourself. Specs aren't everything, and the ENVY is a perfect example.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
Wow the HP Envy looks like a rip-off of the macbook pro.....

hp-envy-13-1000-notebook-pc-series_400x400.jpg

Yup and never buy rip offs/copies of anything ... if HP can't innovate on their own by now they're not worth much .... sorry to say it now but go read some real end user reviews on the Envy, it's not great, but hey if you don't like it you can always return it.

Maybe install Windows on your wife's mac she can work in that and at least have the option of playing around with OSX if she wants too.

By the way biggest complaints about the Envy are heat, fan noise, build quality, horrible screen-compared to Mac screens ...

HTH.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
Guys, stop it, yeah the Envy looks similar with the MacBook Pro, but isn't that a good thing? I mean, it would be my first choice if i would ever get a PC, It looks nice and sleek and it's pretty powerful, you are basically hating a computer for how it looks, I understand you're saying that because it looks like a MBP but i think It's a nice computer if you want a PC

And before you think i am a Microsoft fanboy trolling around, -I am getting a MBP as soon as the new ones come out

niuniu

macrumors 68020
Awesome specs, but mac users are used to this by now as our machines are usually lower specced that equally priced PCs. Hopefully we get the Envy specs in the new MBP updates though :)

Unfortunately I wouldn't touch that thing for half the price. We had a HP laptop here before and it didn't last 6 months. The build quality was pretty poor, heat wasn't such an issue, but the noise that thing made was ridiculous. Haven't seen an Envy up close yet so maybe things have changed with HP over the past 7 or 8 years which is quite likely.

gfiz

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2009
Virginia
Yup and never buy rip offs/copies of anything ... if HP can't innovate on their own by now they're not worth much .... sorry to say it now but go read some real end user reviews on the Envy, it's not great, but hey if you don't like it you can always return it.

Maybe install Windows on your wife's mac she can work in that and at least have the option of playing around with OSX if she wants too.

By the way biggest complaints about the Envy are heat, fan noise, build quality, horrible screen-compared to Mac screens ...

HTH.

hate to burst your bubble, but Voodoo was making "mbp-like" notebooks before Apple ever was, well before HP acquired them, and well before Apple's MBP's were aluminum. So while I prefer the MBP, you should know there actually isn't a whole lot of innovation on Apple's part except their ability to get people to pay what they're paying for increasingly obsolete hardware.

And before you say it...Sony started the chicklet keyboard, not Apple.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I can configure a Sony F series for about $1350 with the same specs, except include an i7 and a Blu-Ray drive.

The HP Envy is not worth it.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
hate to burst your bubble, but Voodoo was making "mbp-like" notebooks before Apple ever was, well before HP acquired them, and well before Apple's MBP's were aluminum. So while I prefer the MBP, you should know there actually isn't a whole lot of innovation on Apple's part except their ability to get people to pay what they're paying for increasingly obsolete hardware.

And before you say it...Sony started the chicklet keyboard, not Apple.

You're right. When the unibody MacBook Pro came out it was criticised for looking like a HP. :D

itommyboy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
Titletown USA
Agreed. Sony, Dell, Lenovo, or just about ANY other company is better than HP.

Yet somehow they are the number one manufacturer of computers...oh in the WORLD. Yeah that is a fact, not a rumor look it up they must be doing some things right to wear that crown. Just because 2 of you had bad experiences with some old Pavillion does not make them the worst company OMG IN THE WORLD EVER! I would buy any HP over a Sony or a Dell any given day if my hands and wallet were tied down from buying an :apple: (thankfully not the case). Now Lenovo I do have to say I respect.

Two parting observations:

1) I spent about half an hour on the Envy at our local BB and it indeed feels very cheap and flimsy imho. But damn is it fast.
2) Sony sure makes some nice alarm clock radios!

cathyy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2008
Wow the HP Envy looks like a rip-off of the macbook pro.....

Funny. I thought HP laptops always had the standard black screen, silver base and black keys since a long time ago. Heck, I even remember how there were a ton of people from these forums complaining about how the MBPs looked so similar to HP notebooks when the Unibody MBPs were first released.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Guys, stop it, yeah the Envy looks similar with the MacBook Pro, but isn't that a good thing? I mean, it would be my first choice if i would ever get a PC

No I'd get a Thinkpad; if you going to get a Windows machine, might as well get a computer that's both more durable and utilitarian than a Mac.

Why go for a compromise?

cathyy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2008
I can configure a Sony F series for about $1350 with the same specs, except include an i7 and a Blu-Ray drive.

The HP Envy is not worth it.

The ATI 5830 kicks the crap out of the Nvidia 330M though. Not to mention, the Sony Vaio F weighs about 3.1kg, while the Envy is only 2.35kg, slightly lighter than a MBP.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
No I'd get a Thinkpad; if you going to get a Windows machine, might as well get a computer that's both more durable and utilitarian than a Mac.

Why go for a compromise?

Wow! Good Choice, just imagine yourself going into a Cupertino Starbucks, you pull out your envy and everybody looks at you, after that you turn it on and people throw hot coffee at you and you just have to leave, I vote for the Thinkpad too!

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
The ATI 5830 kicks the crap out of the Nvidia 330M though. Not to mention, the Sony Vaio F weighs about 3.1kg, while the Envy is only 2.35kg, slightly lighter than a MBP.

GPU means not much if you're not really gaming on it.

Oh, and I think I can handle the extra 7.5/10th's of a kg.:cool:

MaxxTraxx

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
$1799 will get you a MBP with... a 2.53GHz C2D, 4GB/250GB 5.4k and a crappy 9400M. $2199 will get you an Envy with... a Intel Core i7 720qm, 4GB/500GB 7.2k and a (quite powerful) ATI Radeon 5830.

Also are you saying that video editing is Mac only? :confused:

Good luck playing Crysis on that 9400M on your 1799 MBP...

So you're right. it is a no-brainer. I'd (and most others) would take the Envy... unless you're saying you'd take the Pro? ooooh fanboyism to the max :rolleyes:

Don't have to worry, the Mac fanboy Patrol will be here in a second.

Nice computer here though with nice specs. I'd like it if it was a bit cheaper though if you ask me.

seanconn

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2010
$1799 will get you a MBP with... a 2.53GHz C2D, 4GB/250GB 5.4k and a crappy 9400M. $2199 will get you an Envy with... a Intel Core i7 720qm, 4GB/500GB 7.2k and a (quite powerful) ATI Radeon 5830.

Also are you saying that video editing is Mac only? :confused:

Good luck playing Crysis on that 9400M on your 1799 MBP...

So you're right. it is a no-brainer. I'd (and most others) would take the Envy... unless you're saying you'd take the Pro? ooooh fanboyism to the max :rolleyes:

actually, I was meaning the current 2.8 Core 2 with the 9600GT 512 DDR3.

It's 1999 in the refurb store right now, but it's bound to go down quite a bit once the new models are released. Sure I could get an HP Envy for the same price (they are a lot more expensive in canada, far more expensive when compared to American/ Canadian pricing on the MBP)

Of course I would buy the 2.8 with the 9600Gt over a 15" Envy that retails for about 2000...

I won't be able to play crysis as good, but most other games will run mostly the the same. PLUS, if I want to sell it in a year or 2 I will likely get around 1000-1300, where as the Envy would be lucky to fetch $700!

sure maybe my decisions are a bit based on fanboyism, but it's mostly because i want to use OSX as my main OS, plus have the assurance that my computer will live up to it's battery life estimates... and have real resale value. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.