Just purchased iPhone 4 with less than 30 days to announcement

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Muscle, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Muscle macrumors regular

So my 3G finally gave up on me yesterday.

I was lucky enough to opt for ATT's unlimited data while they still offered it and was told I would lose my unlimited data if I were to use a non-smart phone (confirmed this with in-store and phone representative; regardless too much of a risk to take). My only backup phone is a sony ericsson K410. Needed a smart phone and wanted to stick with apple.

Went in ATT and purchased an iPhone 4 (9/24) and signed 2 years of my life away...

Question:

ATT's 30 day return policy, would I be able to return my iPhone 4 on 5's launch date (assuming its 10/14) and receive a refund (partial or full doesn't matter) and be able to resign my 2 year agreement and walk away with the 5 (or 4s, doesn't matter; but without needing to pay Early Termination Fee).

Has anyone done this with the previous gen iPhones?
    Don't see why it won't work as I am abiding by their return policy.

2. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

To the best of my knowledge you will just have to eat a $35 restocking fee.

I would probably do something like this to swap out my temporary not-on-contract razr and grab a subsidized iP4 but I don't want to deal with the hassle.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

All you will have to do is pay a restocking fee. Shame you didn't buy it from Apple, because there would be no restocking fee.

4. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

You could of just bought a Gophone and put enough credit on it to last you the last few days of September and the first week or two of October. Then you could just upgrade straight to the iPhone 4S[or 5] with no hassle of returning a product.

5. dfnj123 macrumors 6502a

THIS...

Could have also got the phone from Radioshack... no restocking fee on swapping phones and the iPhone 4 is $50 cheaper than all the other retailers there right now...

6. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

The only problem is this... if you want to get an iPhone 5 anytime in the next 30 days you are going to have to pre order it... which you wont be able to do at the upgrade price since you just bought that new phone. Even if you return it after they announce the 5 but before pre orders there is no guarantee that your upgrade eligibility will reset in time. In theory you could get in line on launch day at an at&t store, return yours and hope to get one... good luck with that though.

7. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

Not fully sure one AT&T's policies and procedures..but with Sprint, they can contact Account Services once that phone has been returned to reset the upgrade eligibility. It can take 1-2 billing cycles for it to reset manually, but if an Account Services rep resets it, it can be done within a few business days. I'd contact Customer Care in regards to that though, as it may vary per company.

8. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

I believe it generally takes a few days with AT&T... but I have come to expect the absolute worst case scenario from them.

9. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

Safe bet. I had mostly great experiences with them but then a hair-pulling worst case scenario of them charging me a $360 ETF fee I did not owe and having to fight like hell to get the money they stole back.

10. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_10 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E600 Safari/6533.18.5)

Solution to avoid restock fee go back o AT&T return go to apple re buy

11. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

Going back to AT&T and returning the device thus getting charged a restocking fee avoids the fee how?

12. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

AT&T will waive the restocking fee as long as you buy an iPhone to replace the one you are returning.

The only reason they even talk about a restocking fee is for those who attempt to cheat the system by trying an iPhone, but then returning it for a feature phone.

I always buy my iPhones from AT&T because they waive the upgrade requirement so I can buy a new one each year. It saves me a lot of money since I'm not one who resells the old model in order to get a new one. I give mine to family members. It's a win/win deal.

13. Muscle thread starter macrumors regular

Don't mind the $35 restocking fee tbh. I was in a hurry and the closest store to me was an ATT, Apple was a bit further away :) but thanks for all the responses.

As stated in my OP, if I register my # with any non-smart phone, my unlimited data that I "grandfathered" will expire. There wouldn't be a point in me getting a different number non-smart phone. No contacts, no 3G, etc.

This is actually probably going to be the only issue. Can I just return the phone, pre-order it the same day and be phoneless for a couple weeks?

14. dfnj123 macrumors 6502a

Are you sure they are actually waving the upgrade requirement, or just "swapping upgrades" with other eligible lines on your account?

15. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I did something like this when I bought my first iPhone, the 3G. I bought an LG Vu and changed my mind about it and wanted to get the iPhone. I was told the only way I could switch, and keep my number, is if I wait 30 days after return. I didn't want to wait that long so I just got a new number. I'm not sure if the policy's the same but it's something to keep in mind.

16. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Absolutely, positively, waiving the requirement.

When you've been with them for over a decade, have eight lines, all with smartphones, and unlimited data plans, you get VIP service & consideration.

I'm a hard core phone and laptop enthusiast with lots of hardware to enjoy. I actually get two free upgrades per year. One for my iPhones and one for Androids. I've always enjoyed excellent service & great coverage from AT&T.

They may not have the best coverage everywhere, but all the places I use them they are fantastic.

17. jrfeine macrumors newbie

Well my phone just broke as well and I currently on a non-smartphone and I called AT&T and they said my DATA will not be touched and I will still be grandfathered in. Now they are lying to one of us and I sure hope it wasn't me. I checked my AT&T account and it's still activated on the account.

18. dfnj123 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I have no issues with AT&T myself. I've always have had great service from them. Just wasn't sure if you were serious when you said they wave your upgrade requirements. Pretty nice deal you have going on...

19. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

That is the problem, it MIGHT be an issue, you may need to do the return before the pre order. Honestly your best bet is going to be returning it asap to make sure they let you upgrade again.

When pre orders open you are most likely going to have a few hours before the initial batch is gone. I wouldn't want to try dealing with at&t during that time and hoping for the best.

If I were you, I would return it asap to make sure my upgrade reset in time... on the morning they start pre orders get on the Apple store site and pre order as soon as they start.

20. dfnj123 macrumors 6502a

You do know he was speaking in a figure of speech... right?

21. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

No. A Gophone comes with its own number right out of the box once you activate it online. Your smartphone line would still be on your account like nothing happened so long as you kept paying the monthly bill.

22. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

I say.....

EMBRACE the iP4, LOVE the iP4. :D

It really is an amazing phone and since you are upgrading from a 3g it will be almost godlike in comparison anyways!

In reality, iOS5 will add even more bells and whistles to the iP4.

However, if that isn't an option at all (understand the lure of the newest and best). Good luck with your choice!

WW

23. Muscle thread starter macrumors regular

What is the estimated delivery time for pre-orders? Say if I miraculously get the 1st batch, how many days would I have to wait?

I guess we were both misunderstanding each other. However if I did get a gophone I wouldn't have any of my contacts and no 3G on the go. 2 of the main reasons why I needed a smartphone with my original number.

Don't get me wrong, switching to the 4 from 3G is night and day. Everything snappier, faster. It feels like I truly have 3G on tap. However if Apple comes out with a redesigned iPhone (larger screen, new body, etc) I would def switch. But if its just a 4S then I will stick with my 4.

24. tikitommy macrumors regular

A different take

I sold my iP4, and am using my old 3G until the next phone comes out.

The 3G is slow as molasses. If I went to the Apple Store and got a new iP4 with my upgrade price, could I get the iP 4S/5 at the upgrade price if I return the iP4 within the 30 days?

Does returning the iP4 with the upgrade carry over to another phone if I return the first one?

Thanks in advance.

25. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Best bet is to return it about 3-5 days before preorders become available so that your upgrade date can reset in time or else you would be preordering the iPhone 5 at a much higher price.