Just received iPhone 4 - 2nd batch - Guess What NO PROBLEMS!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cc999, Jul 12, 2010.

1. cc999 macrumors 6502

I just received my iPhone 4 from Apple directly shipped to my home from China. The first thing I did was to check 3 things:

1 - Yellow tint bottom right screen - Mine has nothing - checked also for dead pixels its perfect

2 - I put the so called death grip on my phone in 2 different locations and I
    did NOT lose 1 bar. Tried several times same result

3 - Proximity Sensor - Made several calls and watched in mirror holding the phone in several different locations. The phone stayed dark. The second I take it away from my ear it lights up. Exactly like my 3GS was, there is absolutly NO problem with the sensor.

My thoughts are that Apple made adjustments on the next batch of phones to correct the production issues. Anyone else have a 2nd batch phone that is perfect?

Charlie C

2. myztikal47 macrumors regular

3. Dstopsie macrumors 6502a

Dstopsie

Can you please post the serial number of your new phone

Thanks

4. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

I had two replacements, same thing. I just did it to try, I don't have major problems, but I can make signal drop if I try. I don't buy this 2nd batch BS. Maybe those other problems are fixed, but not reception.

5. cc999 thread starter macrumors 6502

just tested

Just took several pictures in my home the photos are amazing. NO green blob as you put it. Perfect.

6. jrbdmb macrumors 6502

jrbdmb

Unless you experienced dropped calls with another iPhone 4 in the same spot, this doesn't mean much. Depending on the signal strength in your area, you may experience no lost bars or you may drop calls. As for the other issues, evidence on here is these are not widespread. My iPhone 4 is perfect except for the reception issue.

7. cc999 thread starter macrumors 6502

hmm

Ferris I am telling you I cannot get it to drop a single bar. I am not a kid reporting this stuff, I am a 50 yr old professional so you know where this is coming from.

8. rotlex macrumors 6502a

I don't know. I picked up my phone a little over a week ago, and for the life of me, I cannot get a signal, or even the bars to drop. I can give it the death grip, even in my house where ALL my phones have had issues, and it holds a signal. I MIGHT see a bar drop if I engulf the entire phone iny hands while pressing hard on the lower ant. area.

Who knows, but I find it hard to believe this problem is present in all handsets.

9. ciaran00 macrumors 6502

Take a video. We don't believe your word of mouth, sorry.

10. edere macrumors member

could you please post what week your iPhone was made.

11. Boauld macrumors newbie

just got mines today serial 84028....

tried all 3 thing stated above and compared them to my wife my wife has problems but mines is working fine...

12. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

I'd wait a while- the prox sensor issue especially works sometimes and doesn't other times.

If you are problem free after 1 week of heavy use, i'd believe it.

13. cc999 thread starter macrumors 6502

14. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

cc999, The problems are based on location. There has been no change in hardware or software between phones produced three weeks ago or today.
    What the previous poster stated is correct. Unless you had or have another iPhone demonstrating signal issues with yours right next to it and it does not then it means nothing. When I am in an area that has strong signal it is impossible to cause the phone to loose any bars. This has been well documented. Nonetheless, enjoy your phone. It is a fantastic piece of hardware.

15. pab277 macrumors regular

I also have a second batch iphone 4 and can recreate the signal problem. Although i cannot get the bars to drop below one, they will still fall to one if the left hand band is touched

16. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Oh I believe you, on a whole I just don't think there is a second batch of fixed phone. Your first phone may have been a lemon, but I can sit at work and hold my phone on the left and nothing happens.

Sometimes at my house I can too, other times at my house I can't hold it or it will drop. It's random.

Again your first phone sounds like it had a lot of problems, and you may have had worse reception than most, but if you find the right spot and hold that phone at the bottom left, it will drop depending on your signal at that time.

17. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

Now look at the OS version and post that as well, if you can.

Thanks...

18. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

At my house, i get -58dbm, around the neighborhood i get about -70dbm.

I could put the phone in between my butt cheeks, and i wouldnt drop a signal bar.

So i could technically say "OMG I DONT HAVE THE DEATH GRIP ISSUE!"

But, when i go to my fiance's, and i cover it up, i drop 2 bars. She's about -105dbm over there

Stop obsessing people. If it bothers you return it. If not, have a coke and a smile and **** already.

sheesh

19. dagomike macrumors 65816

I just got my second replacement today. 86028 w/ 8A293 4.0 installed.

It has the same signal problems as the other two. The screen is fine, like the other two, no dead pixels like the other two. The proximity sensor issue is the same as the other two. It has the "green blob" under florescent lights, but I think that's a AWB issue since it changes with distance to object and lighting source.

So... three phones no change. Sorry.

20. macbookpro45 macrumors 6502

Trust me. The signal problem is due to the sim card. If your sim card is off-set you won't have signal issues. Think about it, the sim touches the aluminum tray which touches the aluminum band around the phone. I had no problems with signal until I got a new sim in the iP4.

21. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

Just received my iPhone today. The only issues I have is the reception but only when I'm at home. When I touch the left side at home it does drop, but when I'm outside I can do the "death grip" and it remains unaffected.

83027 w/8A293 4.0

22. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

also none of those issues from a factory 88 week 28 phone.. can't replicate signal attenuation though maybe I just have a strong signal area

23. tokiidokii macrumors regular

this 'green blob' seems to be caused by the type of light you're taking the picture in. if you're under cfl/fluorescent light, the green blob rears its ugly head.

i noticed this when i took a pic in my basement and i have fluorescent lights but when i took pics outside or under a diff type of light, everything is perfectly clear.

it could be a software issue, like someone mentioned in a diff thread, in that under cfl the camera tends to exaggerate the 'color' or something. anyway, try diff lighting and i'm sure you won't see that ugly tint ;)

edit:
    didn't see this but here's a link someone posted on the other thread http://www.modaco.com/content/i8000...n-spot-in-camera-and-photo-shot/#entry1184965. that's a diff phone that exhibits the same green blob. here's a quote from one of the commenters:

"You can't take such picture, fluorescent lamps dye photos green incadescent yellow/orange, If ther's a mix of those surely camera won't be able to compensate it.. and yes compenstate so this means the conditions are far from usable for the purpose of tesing.

Want to test anything take white/grey paper ans shoot it in natural goood light conditions. Maske sure WDR and ANTISHAKE are OFF"

24. dhartung02 macrumors 6502

I had 2 launch day iPhones (16gb and 32gb) that i got replaced today through online apple care. They shipped me two new phones that i received today. I had all 4 phones sitting on my desk and they all performed the signal drop. The ones i received are week 26 and 27. They all 4 had the green blob (under fluorescents). The two new ones other than those problems (possibly software?) were perfect.

25. Ferris23 macrumors 68020