Just returned imac 5k, should I buy another one?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by imlynxy, Nov 2, 2014.

1. imlynxy macrumors 65816

Hi,

I've just returned iMac 5K with upgraded CPU, GPU and 3TB Fusion Drive. The iMac didn't wake up from sleep, was loosing mouse, ability to scroll, wifi was on and off, frozen screen on reboot. I tried to reinstall it, but it gave me the same problems again.

Question: Should I order another one? ... Or all of them are defective?

2. zas macrumors member

Seriously ? Did you really ask if all of them are defective ?

3. Col Vandal macrumors member

If you pulled the trigger once, you should pull it again.

4. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

Yes, all of them are defective. You are the first person who has used their iMac, nobody else has noticed yet.

5. MacDarcy macrumors 65816

Lol. Yes. They are ALL defective. Seriously? Dude. A simple google search will yield tons of glowing reviews about the new 5K iMac. In fact, your post is the first I've seen talking about having such issues. I think its safe to say you just got a faulty machine. Order a new one. You have nothing to worry bout.

6. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Yep, every single one of them are defective. I would stay far, far away and order a Sony VAIO instead.

Bryan

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

What you guys seem to ignore is that these are probably unpatched bugs rather than a defective unit. The OP is better off waiting until some of the initial bugs are patched.

8. jacktorrance macrumors regular

Disagree. Mine has no problems whatsoever.

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That is irrelevant, because it assumes that all are affected equally. They all have bugs, but after a few weeks the noticeable/critical ones are typically fixed.

10. imlynxy thread starter macrumors 65816

"Plug and unplug!" "did you have mac before?" I was about to say something , but Mark Twain was right:

"Never argue with idiots they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Mark Twain

thekev, Thanks for help. My unit was really defective, just played with my business partner unit- no problem at all. Bad luck, going to order another one.

11. Crunch macrumors 6502

Crunch

Good move. ;-)

To all the others who had nothing but sarcastic and unfunny jokes to offer: Obviously, well, to me anyway, and obviously not to you guys, he /she didn't really mean to ask if every other iMac is defective, but rather that this is a first-generation product and voiced his/her concern over that.

I could be wrong, so let's ask: Am I right, imlynxy?

12. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

No problem. I figured it was possible, but a lot of really weird bugs do show up on recent hardware releases. Apple's support pages will often mention "affecting some macs", because the not all bugs are completely obvious. The things mentioned were also in line with those that I have seen show up in patch/update details.

13. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

don't be Apple's guinea pig. wait for more info.

and don't order the fusion drive just get the flash it is free if you get the 256gb size. if you really need storage look at this :

http://www.macmall.com/p/LaCie-External-Hard-Drives/product~dpno~9775137~pdp.idjaiba

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I guess we idiots could point out the pot calling the kettle black when you ask if every single iMac is defective. Don't you think?

Seems like you had bad luck. Buy another if you need it and I'm sure they're not all defective. Life isn't as dramatic as you make it out to be buddy.

15. hans1972 macrumors regular

According to the Many world-interpreation of quantum mechanics there will be an infinite number of universes were all retina iMac are defective, thus not only are all of them defective, there will be an infinite number of defective iMacs spread across an infinite number of universes!

And do you what is even more scary? There will be an infinite number of universes were you will keep your defective iMac....

16. bwsteg macrumors 6502

I also returned my 5k iMac this weekend because of numerous issues including the mouse and lag while scrolling. Will be ordering another unit sometime this week.

17. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Judging by your last statement, I'm going to go out on a limb & guess troubleshooting isn't your forté. Is it logical that your machine had all of that wrong w/ it at the same time? Perhaps the issues weren't with the machine...

18. AnalyzeThis macrumors 6502

Just get another one, let someone else to deal with this one on refurbished store. You lucky it happened right away, so you do not have to deal with repairs. I would not even bother troubleshooting on any semi-serious glitch after giving Apple a load of cash. Watch unboxing video - this is how good one should operate. Or go to store and check one out, if possible.

19. imlynxy, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014

imlynxy thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks a lot. Use Discover card online and you get 5% cash back, I also had mouse lag and sometime mouse's status was disconnected. I tried 3 mice out of my other iMacs, same story. Unit was defective. I better wait couple weeks and order another one from a new batch. I had a problem with late 2012 model, also waited 2-3 weeks and got a perfect one.

Feel really sorry for Apple here. I wish Steve comes back. He never discussed his private life with a public and made perfect devices

20. imlynxy thread starter macrumors 65816

:) You are. I'm sorry that I expressed myself may be wrong. I didn't want to insult anybody. English is my second, better to say 3d language. Peace Guys and Girls.

My plans I wait 2-3 weeks, wait for a new batch and order a new one. The defective one was made in China. Does anybody get USA one?

21. ttmrn macrumors regular

..happy trying to find one made in the USA.

22. zarf2007 macrumors regular

Yes and Tim Cook's sexuality is directly related to hardware QA issues.....jeez....did you have a brain tumour for breakfast?

23. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Yeah, but that was back before Tim Cook announced he was gay. :rolleyes:

24. JAT macrumors 603

I miss when this forum wasn't filled with turds foolishly called "threads".

25. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Yeah, but that was back before Tim Cook announced he was gay. :rolleyes:

I love your logic.