Just shattered the Screen of my iPhone 6S Plus

harrypraneeth

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2015
Hi All,

I just cracked the display of my iPhone 6S Plus. Is there anyway I can get it replaced/fixed as soon as possible. I'm still in denial with this :(:(:(

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Hi All,

I just cracked the display of my iPhone 6S Plus. Is there anyway I can get it replaced/fixed as soon as possible. I'm still in denial with this :(:(:(
Oh no! What happened?! The only suggestion I can make is to take it to an Apple Store and see what they can do for you. They might be able to sell you Applecare and use one of the two accident incidents..

Conan86

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
Singapore
sorry to hear that.. so what happened? it really depend if any genius or the Apple Store you're going to would be sympathetic now.. Oh yes, try telling them you're about to purchase the AppleCare+, or heck, just call Apple to purchase the AppleCare+ right away if you can and claim it when it activates..

The good news is that if you pay for a replacement you'll likely get a brand new set since there shouldn't be any "refurbished" 6s two days into the launch..

harrypraneeth

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2015
I dropped it, when i was getting out of the car! I had the apple case on it too. But it didn't help.

I took it to the Apple Store this morning. They took it in to verify if the 3D-Touch has any damage. If not I would be getting a replacement for $109. How i wish i had purchased the Apple Care +.

Thanks for your suggestions guys.

Attachments

OrionsByte

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2015
I dropped it, when i was getting out of the car! I had the apple case on it too. But it didn't help.

I took it to the Apple Store this morning. They took it in to verify if the 3D-Touch has any damage. If not I would be getting a replacement for $109. How i wish i had purchased the Apple Care +.

Thanks for your suggestions guys.
Ouch...

UFOShampoo

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2015
Well damn. So much for the strongest glass in the industry. I have always kept my phones in Otterbox Defenders.... I noticed no one on these forums use them. I am too clumsy and don't want to worry about my phone. I was wondering if the new glass would make the phones more durable. Guess not.

iZac

macrumors 68020
Apr 28, 2003
Shanghai
It's a shame you didn't land yourself a sympathetic genius, and got a free repair. They often like to do this on the launch of a new device because it's good PR. Well, at least it's not the crappy service in as in China. They refused to give my friend a replacement, insisting on a repair, which took 3 or 4 days.

Also, is it bad that I clicked on this thread and just scrolled down to find the picture before I even read your post? Am I some sort of sadist or did everyone else do the same?

OrionsByte

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2015
It's a shame you didn't land yourself a sympathetic genius, and got a free repair. They often like to do this on the launch of a new device because it's good PR. Well, at least it's not the crappy service in as in China. They refused to give my friend a replacement, insisting on a repair, which took 3 or 4 days.

Also, is it bad that I clicked on this thread and just scrolled down to find the picture before I even read your post? Am I some sort of sadist or did everyone else do the same?
I was actually more concerned with how it happened, because I don't want it to happen to me!

Reactions: dsi76

Conan86

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
Singapore
Well, at least you could get it fixed for a "small fee". Thanks for the info on how much protection we can expect from the Apple cases!

cloudystrife

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2015
Can't you change your Apple Care selection within 30 days? You could have done that and then took the phone in :p

harrypraneeth

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2015
Yeah, and that would be fraud.

In this case, an entire new front panel for $109 is a steal. Only slightly more expensive than the accidental damage AppleCare fee.
I don't think it would be done $109. The genius was biased towards the $325 for the replacement. I will be getting an update about it by the Tuesday and a replacement, "I have no idea" :(

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
Ouch. Bad luck on such an early smash.

I usually always go with tempered glass screen protectors to help with keeping the screen intact on drops (not just from surface scratches).

However, after applying a Spigen one immediately after unboxing, it became nearly impossible to use 3D Touch to from the side to invoke the App Switcher. Mainly because the edge of the protector ended before the 'waterfall' drop on the edges which also made it feel weird with a sharp 'step'. This was about the exact play where 3D Touch starts detecting a side swipe/press. Plus it had ghosting where the tempered glass lifted slightly around the edges.

Maybe there are better ones but I ended up taking it off as it was a pain and uglified the phone. Maybe AppleCare/naked is the way to go instead of expensive cases and glass protectors.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Ouch. Bad luck on such an early smash.

I usually always go with tempered glass screen protectors to help with keeping the screen intact on drops (not just from surface scratches).

However, after applying a Spigen one immediately after unboxing, it became nearly impossible to use 3D Touch to from the side to invoke the App Switcher. Mainly because the edge of the protector ended before the 'waterfall' drop on the edges which also made it feel weird with a sharp 'step'. This was about the exact play where 3D Touch starts detecting a side swipe/press. Plus it had ghosting where the tempered glass lifted slightly around the edges.

Maybe there are better ones but I ended up taking it off as it was a pain and uglified the phone. Maybe AppleCare/naked is the way to go instead of expensive cases and glass protectors.
Try an edge to edge model like Rupert's Cinder or Godosmith's Ice Max 3D (not 2.5D).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.