Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
For shattered screens, Apple care is more expensive no matter how many times you shatter. First broken screen: $129 without, but $229 with Apple care. Second screen, total of $258 without, but $329 with.
Yes, but water damage or battery replacement are more beneficial uses of AppleCare+.

Reactions: Caviar_X

Scarlet Siren

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
Edinburgh
I can sympathise. Within days of getting my 5 model my friend dropped it and it shattered the bottom right corner of the screen.

I hope you get it fixed soon and without problems.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
For shattered screens, Apple care is more expensive no matter how many times you shatter. First broken screen: $129 without, but $229 with Apple care. Second screen, total of $258 without, but $329 with.

Apple care is only a benefit if the entire device is destroyed, or enough damage is there to require full out of warranty replacement. And even then, it's only a $70 savings. Betting $130 to maybe save $70, when the more likely scenario of damage is losing $100, sounds like a very bad bet to me.
Don't forget, it also provides software and hardware support as well as phone support for 2 years. For some, that's significant.

Reactions: comics addict

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Honestly. Who has contacted apple to get software support :)
You're on MRForums, which probably puts you in a minority group of approximately <5% of iPhone users in regards to knowledge and fandom of iPhones.

I have many co-workers and family members who, without me, would most likely be calling up Apple on a regular basis. Have you been in an Apple Store lately? Places are filled with folks who have no idea how to swipe up or backup to iCloud (whatever that is), much less hold down power+home button for reset or enter DFU mode.

It's always flawed thinking to assume that everyone is like us.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
I dropped it, when i was getting out of the car! I had the apple case on it too. But it didn't help...
img_3637-jpg.586717

Man, that is destroyed.

How was it dropped? How did it land?

What did it land on?

Reactions: UFOShampoo

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
My 5S screen shattered like that in the leather case when it landed absolutely flat on the back. With no tumbling to dissipate energy, it just exploded.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Well damn. So much for the strongest glass in the industry. I have always kept my phones in Otterbox Defenders.... I noticed no one on these forums use them. I am too clumsy and don't want to worry about my phone. I was wondering if the new glass would make the phones more durable. Guess not.
A lot of members here use Otterbox Defenders.

There are a lot of people here that prefer to walk around naked, and the streakers stand out on the forum.

Reactions: UFOShampoo

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
Ouch. Bad luck on such an early smash.

I usually always go with tempered glass screen protectors to help with keeping the screen intact on drops (not just from surface scratches).

However, after applying a Spigen one immediately after unboxing, it became nearly impossible to use 3D Touch to from the side to invoke the App Switcher. Mainly because the edge of the protector ended before the 'waterfall' drop on the edges which also made it feel weird with a sharp 'step'. This was about the exact play where 3D Touch starts detecting a side swipe/press. Plus it had ghosting where the tempered glass lifted slightly around the edges.

Maybe there are better ones but I ended up taking it off as it was a pain and uglified the phone. Maybe AppleCare/naked is the way to go instead of expensive cases and glass protectors.

$10 Spigen case is what I've done with my iPhone 6s Plus.

I don't want my phone's aluminium to look like crap, but if it takes a dive and cracks the glass, I don't mind spending the cash on a screen repair.

Last edited:

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
I dropped it, when i was getting out of the car! I had the apple case on it too. But it didn't help.

Wow! Just getting out of the car and dropping the phone makes the phone look like an elephant group had a party on it :eek: Are you sure you didnt drive over it? Or atleast dropped it from a tower? o_O

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
Somewhere in this world....this guy is laughing.
conventionalclearcutgrebe.gif

Only joking. That SUCKS! Did you drop it? Take it to the apple store and hope for a nice genius.
Haha legit unboxing, unboxing is legit, lulzzzz.

I cringe every time I see that.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Case is poorly designed with that opening that will expand the sides upon impact and offer no protection. Get a better case for the replacement.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Cost of labor? Maybe?
I can't even imagine that playing much of a roll. You remove the screen for a screen replacement and a battery replacement. The different between the battery replacement is simply including the plug, pulling the plastic tab on yeh battery, dropping the new battery in, re clipping, done.

All of this extra work for the battery takes less time than it just took me to type this.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I can't even imagine that playing much of a roll. You remove the screen for a screen replacement and a battery replacement. The different between the battery replacement is simply including the plug, pulling the plastic tab on yeh battery, dropping the new battery in, re clipping, done.

All of this extra work for the battery takes less time than it just took me to type this.
Haha.

It is a bit more than that: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+6+Battery+Replacement/29363

...but the discrepancy is odd.

Reactions: lordofthereef

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Reactions: willmtaylor

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
Does battery replacement cost more than replacing a screen? That... Makes no sense lol

My point was that water damage would potentially result in the need for a complete phone replacement. Therefore AppleCare+ is more of a benefit for complete replacement over a screen replacement.

I also mentioned battery being a bigger benefit than a screen replacement, but there I just assumed a battery replacement is more costly than a screen replacement. I am not completely sure if that is true. But even if it is not, chances are a battery replacement will be down the road and give the user a benefit of a new/fresh battery going forward.

Reactions: mattyu007

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
My point was that water damage would potentially result in the need for a complete phone replacement. Therefore AppleCare+ is more of a benefit for complete replacement over a screen replacement.

I also mentioned battery being a bigger benefit than a screen replacement, but there I just assumed a battery replacement is more costly than a screen replacement. I am not completely sure if that is true. But even if it is not, chances are a battery replacement will be down the road and give the user a benefit of a new/fresh battery going forward.
I understood your point. And then I had a question. Which I then looked up and answered myself. Battery replacement is indeed $329 on a 6s plus! Kind of baffling, to say the least. I can't imagine the battery costs Apple more than the screen. Swapping the battery is takes at most an extra five minutes of effort. So it's rather peculiar situation.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I understood your point. And then I had a question. Which I then looked up and answered myself. Battery replacement is indeed $329 on a 6s plus! Kind of baffling, to say the least. I can't imagine the battery costs Apple more than the screen. Swapping the battery is takes at most an extra five minutes of effort. So it's rather peculiar situation.
Perhaps it's a higher perceived value bc it's buried more, so they feel they can charge more? Who knows....

Reactions: lordofthereef

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Perhaps it's a higher perceived value bc it's buried more, so they feel they can charge more? Who knows....
It's worth noting that replacing a screen for around $130 is actually a stellar value and I believe much cheaper than any other competitors' offers. That could partially be why batteries seem so expensive. I'm also certain they see much higher volume screen repairs, and so they're likely ordering more screens than batteries, driving costs down.

But damn, $329 for a battery really gives credence to the crowd touting we need removable batteries (I know even most competitor flagships have non removable now).

Reactions: willmtaylor
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.