Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 12, 2005
The plastic feels incredible, and it looks amazing. It looks better than 5S imho. They should dump the aluminium and go with plastic from now on for all models.

And this certainly is not the same kind of plastic on other plastic phones. I have never seen plastic looking like that.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There's a reason why the 5C is not selling well, its priced too high. Selling it for more would be a bad move by apple. I'd have to say plastic feels like plastic regardless of what phone we're talking about.

I do like the look of the 5c, and there are different grades of plastic but its by no means a premium product. Moving all their phones to plastic would be a bad move imo

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I agree that it's a nice phone, but I personally don't think it's nicer than the 5/5s.

I'd also be concerned about the plastic cracking like it did on the 3G/3Gs.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
There's a reason why the 5C is not selling well, its priced too high. Selling it for more would be a bad move by apple. I'd have to say plastic feels like plastic regardless of what phone we're talking about.

I do like the look of the 5c, and there are different grades of plastic but its by no means a premium product. Moving all their phones to plastic would be a bad move imo

I've been trying to coordinate both mine and my wife's work schedules to make it to the AT&T store to get me one, which has been a challenge. :)

A month's worth of challenge.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 12, 2005

No, what I meant was, they should have made the 5S plastic and the 5C aluminium. The flagship model with the best internals should have had the plastic case.
Obviously 5S is the better phone in terms of silicone, but the 5C looks better than the 5S. So combine the best looks with the best silicone imho.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

Doesn't matter that it sells less than the 5s - the news is that more than half of all 5c purchasers are previous Android customers. So the 5c is actively taking away sales from the competition. There are obviously many people who given the choice between 5s and Android would choose Android, but among these people, quite a few choose the 5c.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
No, what I meant was, they should have made the 5S plastic and the 5C aluminium. The flagship model with the best internals should have had the plastic case.
Obviously 5S is the better phone in terms of silicone, but the 5C looks better than the 5S. So combine the best looks with the best silicone imho.
Seriously?

By that analogy, all the MBPs and MacBook Airs should also be using this premium plastic! And the 5c should have a plastic screen and not glass!

I think it's great that you like the 5c so much and I don't begrudge you your choice.

But, I'll stick with my metal iPhone 5 as I happen to feel the opposite – that metal is more premium than plastic, and the 5 and 5s look better than the 5c. But that's just my opinion.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 12, 2005
Seriously?

By that analogy, all the MBPs and MacBook Airs should also be using this premium plastic! And the 5c should have a plastic screen and not glass!

I think it's great that you like the 5c so much and I don't begrudge you your choice.

But, I'll stick with my metal iPhone 5 as I happen to feel the opposite – that metal is more premium than plastic, and the 5 and 5s look better than the 5c. But that's just my opinion.

There's no analogy. And no, plastic wouldn't look as good on computers imho. So I don't think Airs or MBP's should switch to plastic. But I just liked the 5C's plastic much more than the aluminium of 5S. It doesn't just look better, it feels better in my hand as well. It's also much less slippery.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I disagree totally. It's cool that you like the 5C and it's a decent phone no doubt. But the metal 5S, looks better, feels better, and is the better phone.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
There's no analogy. And no, plastic wouldn't look as good on computers imho. So I don't think Airs or MBP's should switch to plastic. But I just liked the 5C's plastic much more than the aluminium of 5S. It doesn't just look better, it feels better in my hand as well. It's also much less slippery.
Again, that's great that you like it so much. Obviously we disagree, but…well that's down to personal taste and opinion. I've had plastic phones in my hand (including the 3GS) since I bought my first cell phone.

The iPhone 5 was a wonderful change and to me it feels much more grippable than plastic ever did. The chamfered edges give me something to hold on to.

I brought up the analogy because Apple seems to think that their premium lines should be metal. Hence, the PowerBook/iBook, MacBook Pro/MacBook series. The iPhone 4, 4s and 5 brought Apple in line with it's thinking and the 5s continues that.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

I disagree completely with that statement. Premium phones are not made with shiny colored plastic.

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
The plastic on the 5c feels great. I really like it.

BUT I still bought a 5s and think it looks cleaner. And thinner. And Space Grey.

macjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2011
Nashville, TN
If the 5c had the same tech as the 5s, I'd have chosen the 5c. It's comfortable to hold, which means more to me than having a sleek metal frame.

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
The 5s with the leather case feels as nice, isn't any heavier either. I do wonder if Apple will make a curved back on the 6 but maybe with aluminium or back to glass.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
I disagree totally. It's cool that you like the 5C and it's a decent phone no doubt. But the metal 5S, looks better, feels better, and is the better phone.

I disagree completely with that statement. Premium phones are not made with shiny colored plastic.

Ditto. Completely agree with above. Did not like the looks nor feel of the plastic but what ever you like is OK by you...;)

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
...But I just liked the 5C's plastic much more than the aluminium of 5S. It doesn't just look better, it feels better in my hand as well. It's also much less slippery.

I kinda agree. I'd love to have a black 5c with 5s internals.

The Magpul Field case makes the 5s nice feeling for me, though. :cool:

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here

100% agree. Plastic is not premium.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 12, 2005
If the 5c had the same tech as the 5s, I'd have chosen the 5c. It's comfortable to hold, which means more to me than having a sleek metal frame.

Yeah, I'll buy a 5S but if they offered a 5C with the internals of the 5S, I'd buy the plastic one in blue.

Akack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2011
USA
I completely disagree with your humble opinion on the 5C.

Just buy whatever you feel/like better and stop worrying what is or isn't the "flagship" device.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I agree that it's a nice phone, but I personally don't think it's nicer than the 5/5s.

I'd also be concerned about the plastic cracking like it did on the 3G/3Gs.

I've had a 3Gs for years. The plastic seems very strong to me. I never even bothered to put it in a case. I think it would take a pretty hard impact to crack it.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 12, 2005
I completely disagree with your humble opinion on the 5C.

Just buy whatever you feel/like better and stop worrying what is or isn't the "flagship" device.

Doesn't work that way. I'll definitely buy a 5S or if I skip this gen, the next flagship model. But eventually I'll still wish that they had a plastic one with the best internals.

studIOS5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Oregon, OH
The thing I have the biggest problem with is the snobbery towards the 5c... On June 7th 2009 apple was still releasing plastic flagship phones and everyone was eating it up. Now that they have migrated to aluminum and glass everyone wants to discredit apple's ability to make great phones no matter what they are made of. For me, the ability to save 100 dollars, have a more comfortable phone (I know, totally opinion based), and still have a great mobile experience is worth it! It kind of feels like people around here think people chose the 5c because they are poor and that isn't the case most of the time.

charlieroberts

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2007
Doesn't work that way. I'll definitely buy a 5S or if I skip this gen, the next flagship model. But eventually I'll still wish that they had a plastic one with the best internals.

I have wondered the same, what would have happened if apple had made the 5C the flagship, with all the bells and whistles, and the 5S the cheaper one, maybe fit it with the A7 chip so that you can claim an advantage over the 5.

What then? I think the 5c is terrific. Maybe for the iphone 6 they can replace plastic with a ceramic coating? People these days (myself included) are exotic material nerds, just look at the best selling "premium" iphone cases, all made with some exotic material.
So just changing the word plastic from the iphone 5c description would do wonders

Rob H.

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2013
I love my 5c, mainly because I like the way it fits in my hand better than the 5s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.