Just won a 16gb White Wifi on eBay for $550!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MSUSpartan, Mar 24, 2011.

1. MSUSpartan macrumors 6502

Would've been $544 or so after tax if I were to successfully buy one locally in store. Not bad at all. Ther seller is local so I offered to pay cash and meet in person so he/she would save the tax/shipping. The seller will probably still lose money to eBay though, but I shouldn't feel bad about that.

2. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

he's gonna stab you and steal your wallet!!! ;)

anyways, congrats :)

3. smileyborg macrumors 6502

smileyborg

Sounds too good to be true, but hey, isn't it nice not getting price gouged? :)

4. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I'm against meeting eBay people in person. Even if the person lives 10 minutes away and they ask me to meet them somewhere to save on shipping, I always tell them 'no'.

It just seems weird meeting someone on the internet who was the winning bidder just to save on shipping...

5. Kblakeshot macrumors member

6. MSUSpartan thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh the auction is "free shipping". I don't really care either way. I feel bad for the seller losing money when they're trying to make a few bucks that's all. Paypal plus shipping/packing would be another 30 bucks or so I think.

7. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Link me to the auction please, see if the guys sells anything similar in the future, thanks :) (Hope he ships worldwide!)

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Because the first iPad came in white, right? :cool:

9. jeffs177 macrumors member

That's too expensive for an iPad 1. You could spend a little more money and get a new iPad 2.

10. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

The OP said a WHITE WIFI so that would mean that it's NOT an original iPad. LOL @ everyone saying it's an iPad 1.

11. MSUSpartan thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah don't be jealous. I still didn't cancel my Apple order yet though just in case the seller won't honor the sale.

I have to pay extra and he'll lose some money, the only winner is eBay.

12. DizzyV6P macrumors regular

DizzyV6P

I know its obvious, but be sure to meet in a very public place like a mall, police station, or some place where there's lots of people. We'd hate to read about you going missing in the papers ;)

13. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

Any reason why it sold for that price? I haven't checked eBay so I'm not sure what the iPad 2 market is like on there.

14. MSUSpartan thread starter macrumors 6502

Ha thanks, I've done a lot of buying and selling so I'm not too worried (NYC). I am still skeptical that it'll happen though since he's not responding to my email requesting to meet up. I know it's only been a couple hours and I'm (as you can probably understand) being impatient, but it's the info age and all.

15. MSUSpartan thread starter macrumors 6502

Too many resellers. I saw a lot going in the 550 to 600 range actually. This is in the afternoon though so maybe it's slower. Good for us, bad for the resellers. Can't feel bad for them now, and don't feel good for them when they were making bank reselling these things.

16. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

It's the risk you take when trying to resell a hot item. I remember something similar happening when the PS3 was launched.

17. bigcat318 macrumors 6502

My roommate in college had a similar situation for a Nintendo Wii. We saw the seller was from my home town so he just asked if he would sell him one at the Buy It Now price and not have to ship pay fees. Met him in a movie theater parking lot.

18. MSUSpartan thread starter macrumors 6502

OK this is the seller's online store. 3 more iPad 2's for sale, but one looks suspiciously like an iPad 1 huh? ha... I don't know what to do yet. I am still waiting to hear back from the sellre before paying.

http://shop.ebay.com/ccywong/m.html

19. MSUSpartan thread starter macrumors 6502

OK seller isn't responsive to my emails. She wrote me one time late afternoon yesterday and say she can meet today before 3pm. I gave her where a general idea of where I work but never heard back. We never confirmed what time to meet and where, etc nor exchange contact information. I just told her that if she doesn't want to sell it just cancel the transaction on eBay.

I don't really care at this point as Apple has shipped my iPad. However, she has a few other iPads on eBay and one of them is obviously not what is represented to be. Anything I should do to ensure I don't get a bad mark on eBay later (as I will not be paying through PayPal).

20. guitardogcar macrumors member

Why pay more for product that can be gotten easier than people think?

Also, buying at an Apple store (online or brick-and-mortar) gives you better product protection. That is a kernel of wisdom few get. When/if something goes wrong, you will be happy about your choice to buy from Apple.

I am on my second iPad because of a mistake my twin made (already posted about it) but it was replaced within five minutes after telling them he dropped the thing when messing with the case. Would any store do this?

Go Apple...IMHO.

21. MSUSpartan thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, can't say that it's THAT easy to get at NYC yet, to get the specific model you want. I was going to buy this and cancel my online order, which ironically shipped the same day.

I only paid $6 more than what I would have if I went through Apple so I'm ok with it. She got back to me after I told her to either cancel the transaction or I'll file a complaint. Might meet at 3PM still.

22. deeddawg macrumors 604

This is a tangent, sorry, but please explain your evidence that where you bought the ipad made a difference in how you were treated by the Genius?

MSUSpartan: if you've not yet done so, do familiarize yourself fully with the ebay policies. If you complete the deal in person, may sure to keep the email chain between you and selling showing clearly her acceptance of doing this -- and after it's complete I'd even send a followup "thank you for meeting me and accepting payment in person" email just to have in the record. That way should she later try to claim you didn't pay or something (to get out of paying ebay fees), then you have a paper trail showing you did.

23. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

lolwut? You still get 1 year of AppleCare despite where it was purchased from.

24. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

It doesn't matter where it was purchased from. All that matters is that it's a genuine apple product.

I bought my first MBP as well as applecare for it on eBay and guess what, apple helped me get it fixed. :eek: