Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Amazon has crafted a monopoly by pricing its wares under cost in order to drive the competition out of business, no one can make money in the eBook business because Amazon has decided that it's willing to lose money on every book sold

The problem is that is not losing in every book sold

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
We can make a damn good guess at what Steve meant by looking at what happened to the ebook market after he made that "the price will be the same" comment.

1)

did Amazon continue to sell their best sellers at $9.99? (NO, this didn't happen)
did Apple start to sell their best sellers at $9.99? (NO, this didn't happen)

2)

did Apple started to sell best sellers at $12.99/$14.99? (YES, this happened)
did Amazon raise its best sellers to the same $12.99/$14.99? (YES, this happened)

The prices were indeed the same.

Here's what Steve meant. I added the part at $12.99/$14.99 because that exactly what happened.

Mossberg: “[first part is inaudible] why should she buy a book for $14.99 on your device [iPad] when she can buy one for $9.99 at Amazon [inaudible]?”
Steve Jobs: “Well, that won’t be the case.”
Mossberg: “You mean you [iBooks] won’t be $14.99 or they [Amazon] won’t be $9.99?”
Steve Jobs: “The prices will be the same.”
(at $12.99/$14.99)

YouTube: video
starting at 0:10

I'm not arguing with your assertion which was literal. What was said on the video. I was debating the interpretation by the poster I was quoting.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
What you consider illegal and what is illegal are two difference matters.

Yep. Which is why I made the distinction.

That you've seen no evidence of Apple participating in collusion is also irrelevant to whether or not Apple is guilty (or not guilty) or collusion.

Yep. Which is I haven't made any conclusions as to whether or not Apple is guilty.

Seems like you're being quite selective there.

Only because you are assuming things.

But given that you don't like Amazon (in regards to books and what they've done to local retailers) - I can understand you not being 100% objective :)

Who is? I was clear on my position and my bias. Would you like to discuss the issues? Or are you just interested in questioning my integrity, as usual?

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
IMHO, Amazons lowest price system WILL KILL exactly what they hope to exploit. Publishers could just as well stop making eBooks if the profit margins are less then paper books.

Apples plan with its higher book prices, and its only a few dollars more (easily affordable by almost all Americans), make it attractive to do eBooks and will encourage faster adaptation and eventually greater selection.

DoJ time better spent monitoring then suing.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
We can make a damn good guess at what Steve meant by looking at what happened to the ebook market after he made that "the price will be the same" comment.

1)

did Amazon continue to sell their best sellers at $9.99? (NO, this didn't happen)
did Apple start to sell their best sellers at $9.99? (NO, this didn't happen)

2)

did Apple started to sell best sellers at $12.99/$14.99? (YES, this happened)
did Amazon raise its best sellers to the same $12.99/$14.99? (YES, this happened)

The prices were indeed the same.

Here's what Steve meant. I added the part at $12.99/$14.99 because that exactly what happened.

Mossberg: “[first part is inaudible] why should she buy a book for $14.99 on your device [iPad] when she can buy one for $9.99 at Amazon [inaudible]?”
Steve Jobs: “Well, that won’t be the case.”
Mossberg: “You mean you [iBooks] won’t be $14.99 or they [Amazon] won’t be $9.99?”
Steve Jobs: “The prices will be the same.”
(at $12.99/$14.99)

YouTube: video
starting at 0:10

what if Mossberg asked: "The prices will be the same at $9.99 or $14.99?"

What would Steve honest answer be if he was to tell the truth since he orchestrated the move to $12.99/$14.99.

I imagine that it would be something like this if Steve Jobs had to answer instead of avoiding it:

Mossberg: The prices will be the same at $9.99 or $14.99?
Steve Jobs: It would be $14.99

I'm not sure what your argument is here. The agency agreement and MFN clause resulted in the same book being the same price at different retailers. It's not really a mystery.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Yep. Which is why I made the distinction.

Yep. Which is I haven't made any conclusions as to whether or not Apple is guilty.

Only because you are assuming things.

Who is? I was clear on my position and my bias. Would you like to discuss the issues? Or are you just interested in questioning my integrity, as usual?

Hello pot.:rolleyes: I think you're one of the last people to tell me (or someone else) that they should discuss the issue vs commenting on someone's post. I (and others) have commented before that it seems to be your operendi. As is questioning other people's integrity. But you know what - enough. No point in discussing issues you and I may or may not have with each other.

But I haven't assumed anything. Since you state you have a bias and since I stated that it SEEMS like you are being selective - you've validated my point. Thanks for that :p

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
Amazon e-commerce model for ebooks:

Loss leaders on best sellers ebooks to get people into Amazon.com where hopefully, they will buy profitable none best selling ebooks.

Overall, Amazon will make a profit from selling ebook. According to DOJ evidence, Amazon has been profitable from selling ebooks.

Apple e-commerce model for ebook: 30% margin

The two models can co-exists. Apple doesn't need to compete with Amazon on prices. Apple can use agency and Amazon can use wholesale.

What is illegal though is that Apple can't collude with 5 Major Publishers to force Amazon to abandon its prefer model so that Apple doesn't have to compete on price with Amazon.

DOJ is arguing that is what happened. Amazon was forced to abandoned its prefer method of selling. As a result, Apple no longer have to compete on price with Amazon since "the prices will be the same."

MegamanX

macrumors regular
May 13, 2013
Apple is fighting on on this one because they know if they lose it will open the flood gates on their entire model.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Amazon e-commerce model for ebooks:

Loss leaders on best sellers ebooks to get people into Amazon.com where hopefully, they will buy profitable none best selling ebooks.

Overall, Amazon will make a profit from selling ebook. According to DOJ evidence, Amazon has been profitable from selling ebooks.

Apple e-commerce model for ebook: 30% margin

The two models can co-exists. Apple doesn't need to compete with Amazon on prices. Apple can use agency and Amazon can use wholesale.

What is illegal though is that Apple can't collude with 5 Major Publishers to force Amazon to abandon its prefer model so that Apple doesn't have to compete on price with Amazon.

DOJ is arguing that is what happened. Amazon was forced to abandoned its prefer method of selling. As a result, Apple no longer have to compete on price with Amazon since "the prices will be the same."

Agreed. But obviously since Apple was late to the game in the eBook market - the most logical (not legal though) way was to rig the game. Since they didn't want to cut into profits - the only way to be on even footing with competition was to "force" pricing which would make the consumer not care where they bought from since it was all the same. And since Apple has iTunes - arguably the strongest online media distribution stores - and millions of devices tapped into it - iBooks would be successful.

However - they (in my opinion) still have a missing piece of the puzzle aside from pricing. And that is that you can ONLY read an iBook on an iDevice. Whereas with Amazon - you can buy a book there - and read it on almost any device.

Even with all prices being the same - the versatility (which does matter to some) is not there.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
And the collusion would only work if at least 4 Major Book Publishers agree to it. Penguin indicated that it won't go along unless 3 other Major Publishers also sign up.

Imagine only 1 major publisher goes agency ($12.99/$14.99) and 5 major publishers do not ($9.99), that 1 major publisher would lose a lot of market share.....Before long, it would switch back to wholesale.

That's why it is crucial that at least 4 of the 6 major publishers are on board.

From DOJ opening statement/slides
http://www.scribd.com/doc/145486131/U-S-v-Apple-Et-Al-Opening-Slides

"You are absolutely correct: we've always known that unless other publishers follow us, there's no chance of success in getting Amazon to change its pricing practices."

--------------

Penguin CEO David Shanks: "My orders from London. You must have the fourth major or we can't be in the announcement."

Apple Eddy Cue: "Hopefully this is not an issue but if it is I will call you at 4pm. It would be a huge mistake to miss this if we have 3."

No change here, he is waiting for the others to sign. We have executables ready to sign but he wants an assurance that he is 1 of 4 before signing.

Once previous two are signed, I will head to their offices to get this one signed

Penguin CEO David Shanks: "We would never meet with Barnes and all our competitors. The Government would be all over that. We would meet separately with Indigo being the facilitator and go between. That is how we worked with Apple and the government is still looking into that."

double-delete-doj-640x473.png

Last edited:

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
The DOJ Charts the eBook Market Before & After Agency

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/2...gitalReader+(The+Digital+Reader)#.UZRZVbW-YZC

If you have ever doubted whether agency pricing resulted in an increase in ebook prices, I have a chart that should interest you.

The US Dept of Justice filed new docs this week in their case against Apple and its 5 co-conspirators. The filing is titled Plaintiff’s Proposed Findings of Fact and Conclusions of Law, and this 103 page PDF lays out the arguments that the DOJ plans to make should this case go to trial.

The filing includes details on how the DOJ believes the conspiracy came about, and it includes emails that the various publishers sent to each other as well as other evidence.

Mixed in with the dry legal arguments were a number of charts which were created by Richard Gilbert. He’s the Emeritus Professor of Economics at Berkeley University, and his charts show how the average price of ebooks increased when the 5 publishers adopted agency pricing.

agencyprices-1024x555-500x270.jpeg

Notice the stable graph from Random House.....the 1 major publisher that was not sued by the DOJ/EU because it didn't sign up to the agency pricing/MFN.

http://www.digitalbookworld.com/201...-as-big-publishers-continue-to-dominate-list/
DOJ Has Huge Impact on Best-Seller Pricing

It’s hard to say what the overall affect has been on the larger ebook market but on the top best-sellers, the effect has been obvious and significant:

– The average price of an ebook best-seller this week is $6.95 (virtually unchanged from last week when it was $6.94), just over half of what it was last summer before the discounting began (though discounting is only one of the factors that has led to this phenomena).

ebook-best-seller-avg-price-21.png

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
As opposed to the clauses in contracts stipulating that other retailers will be unable to negotiate deals with publishers that result in Apple not receiving the lowest wholesale price.

I can only speculate at the motivation for spreading misinformation about the effect of a 'most favored nation' clause in a contract, but it doesn't have the effect you describe.

A 'most favored nation' clause says absolutely *nothing* about what prices can be offered to other customers. It only says that *if* another customer receives a lower price, then you *also* get to take advantage of that price.

Your claim is: If A offers B a price of $10 with an MFN clause, then A cannot offer C a price of $9, and nobody can pay less than $10.

A 'Most Favored Nation' clause says: If A offers B a price of $10 with an MFN clause, then when A negotiates with C for a price of $9, then B *also* gets that price of $9.

If C *doesn't* have an MFN clause in their contract, then A could go back and offer B $8 instead of $10 or $9. Without the MFN clause, C would still be paying $9.

A most favored nation clause does not set a price floor. It simply ensures that your supplier won't undercut you with the competition.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
This "Apple should buy this, buy that" has got to stop. It's not quite apparent that all the "cash" Apple has is mostly an illusion. It seemed liquid, but it's far from it. 2/3 of it is held overseas and would be subject to a rather large tax bill if Apple ever tried to use it, which they have shown they would rather not.

They obviously have to buy the IRS first :D

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Wait, you think stripping off a DRM so you can read an eBook on your preferred mobile eBook reader is criminal? What a concrete world you live in. Before I realized the world is not all black and right, right or wrong, I used to think like that.

I don't just believe it, it is. That's a fact, whether you believe it or not. I'm not saying it should be, but it is. And because it is a fact, "DRM that can be easily removed" is just as bad as "DRM that is hard to remove". Why would I buy stuff that I can only use the way I want by becoming legally a criminal? That would be stupid. Since Amazon sells books that way, I avoid them.

What you don't seem to get: This isn't about what I am doing, this is about what Amazon forces me to do. It's insulting.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
I don't just believe it, it is. That's a fact, whether you believe it or not. I'm not saying it should be, but it is. And because it is a fact, "DRM that can be easily removed" is just as bad as "DRM that is hard to remove". Why would I buy stuff that I can only use the way I want by becoming legally a criminal? That would be stupid. Since Amazon sells books that way, I avoid them.

What you don't seem to get: This isn't about what I am doing, this is about what Amazon forces me to do. It's insulting.

It's the Major Publishers who insist on DRM, not Amazon.

TOR, a flagship publisher of MacMillian, recent went DRM free.

A lot of indie books on Amazon are DRM free. The publishers have the option to opt in or opt out of DRM.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/4/43...fter-one-year-of-selling-drm-free-ebooks-says

Piracy not an issue after one year of selling DRM-free ebooks, says Tor Books

After nearly a year of selling ebooks free of DRM copy protection, Macmillan subsidiary Tor Books UK said that it has seen no increase in piracy on any of its properties. The company's editorial director elaborated in an extensive reflection on the decision earlier this week, writing, "The move has been a hugely positive one for us, [...] we’re still pleased that we took this step." The science fiction and fantasy publisher officially made the change last July alongside its American sister company, noting that their audiences were too technically savvy to be forced to deal with the limitations of DRM.

Though Tor Books UK's editorial director noted that the decision was met with significant support by its authors and customers, it hasn't seen the same positive response from its competitors. Ars Technica points to a Publishers Weekly article on an industry rival that reportedly tried to have Tor reverse its decision. A subsidiary of Hachette Book Group allegedly suggested that some Tor Books authors should pressure the company to once again use DRM — the reasoning being that it could hurt sales in other regions where different companies owned the book rights.

It's the publisher that want DRM, not the retailer.

It's also another publisher at another major Publisher that want TOR to abandoned its DRM-free approach and go back to DRM.

p.s. Did the music labels insisted on DRM on Itunes back in the day?
or was it Apple that insisted on DRM?

with ebook, it's the major publishers who want DRM, not retailers like Amazon, Apple, GooglePlay, Nook, Kobo and Sony.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/suwchar...or-abandons-drm-other-publishers-must-follow/

Macmillan's Tor Abandons DRM, Other Publishers Must Follow

I guess no other Major Publishers have followed. Not even Macmillan, the owner of TOR.

Last edited:

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Except that isn't what Amazon is doing. Amazon is selling at low/no/negative profit margins, they're hoping to make it up in volume.

on what planet can you make up selling for a loss...in volume!? you cant. it's mathematically impossible.

what amazon is doing -- selling at a loss today, to push for-profit competitors out of business, and then raise the prices tomorrow once the competition has been destroyed.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar

And what Amazon forces you?

----------

on what planet can you make up selling for a loss...in volume!? you cant. it's mathematically impossible.

what amazon is doing -- selling at a loss today, to push for-profit competitors out of business, and then raise the prices tomorrow once the competition has been destroyed.

Amazon is not selling at a loss, Amazon is selling SOME boojs at a loss but the overall division is profitable.

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring

Apple went crying to the DOJ because Amazon were selling at a loss being a monopoly and that's just bad mkay...

Well turns out the DOJ investigated Amazon, overall the ebook business has turned a profit almost from the start, so nothing wrong at all, what they did find was the change to the rules brought by the iPad and iBooks, so they turned to investigating Apple...

Funny how that turned out.

As someone else posted, what's stopping google from selling cheaper than Amazon when the competition has been destroyed and Amazon begins increasing prices.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
As someone else posted, what's stopping google from selling cheaper than Amazon when the competition has been destroyed and Amazon begins increasing prices.

loyalty.

Why should I pay less at Google when I can pay more at Amazon.

MikBe

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2013
There's got to be a better explanation of Apple's statement because according to this their lawyer is saying, "We've been breaking the law for years and made a fortune doing it. Therefore we should be allowed to continue to break the law. Cha-Ching!"

MikBe

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2013

Exactly! I've bought more eBooks in the last year than ever before now that they are reasonably priced but if the prices went up I'd just stop buying... until someone else entered the market and sold them for reasonable prices again.

Renzatic

Suspended
IMHO, Amazons lowest price system WILL KILL exactly what they hope to exploit. Publishers could just as well stop making eBooks if the profit margins are less then paper books.

This is the point that seems to confuse most people. The publishers were making money off ebooks even when Amazon were selling them at razor thin margins. The old system worked something like this...

Publisher sells single license of an ebook to Amazon at $7.99 per copy.

Amazon turns around and sales books anywhere from, say, $6.99 to $12.99 depending on the title.

The publishers were already paid for their books. They've been making money off ebooks since the very beginning. The problem they had with Amazon's pricing is that they'd sell ebook editions for a good deal less than what the paper books were selling for in stores. It was cutting into their profits there.

But the thing is, ebooks should cost less than paper books, since no physical materials are used, and hosting a server costs far less than the materials and shipping costs required to getting a paper book into someones hand.

The publishers wanted to have their cake and eat it too. Unfortunately for them, the convenience of digital goods made it hard for them to do so. They complained, Amazon didn't listen (and why should they), and eventually colluded to drive the price of ebooks up to roughly the same price as paper books.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007

Doing something illegal does not equate to being a criminal. Not even close. There are many many instances of freedoms we enjoy today being illegal in the past. This is an issue our justice system will have to face. Up until now, it hasn't, because no one has ever attempted to prosecute an individual for removing a DRM of an eBook. If laws we so black and white, we wouldn't need a justice system to interpret the laws and how they relate to individual actions - we would just have our police force enforcing and automatically administering punishment.

But, DRM arguments aside, I still don't know why you think Amazon-purchased eBooks are proprietary whereas iTunes eBooks are not. Amazon is not really forcing you to do anything. Pick a platform, pick any device (save the Nook), and you can read your eBooks. Not only are Apple's ePubs not cross-platform compatible, Apple even restricts which Apple devices you can read your book on. Want to read your ePub on your new MBA? Forget it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.