Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
I Bought the new ipad Air last Friday(16GB) at bestbuy and realized 16GB was way to small and exchanged it for the 32GB.... That being said I find the 32GB roomy for now and planning on keeping it for the foreseeable future but I am wondering should I exchange it for the 64GB just so I feel safe with the more space there for when I get more apps ? I have Google play all access so I can download any music I want pretty much ( waiting for an ipad optimized app) and while I might keep some movies on it ( might just put them all on idk right now) I will keep my movie collection on my Galaxy s4 ( Because I have a 64GB Micro sd card in there and doesn't take space on internal memory )

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
Lose a lot of resale value (in percentage) going to higher storage capacities. If you don't absolutely need 64GB, I'd stick with 32.

I don't "need" it now but at the same time I am not planning on selling my ipad anytime soon and for the long future ahead of me I thought a 64gb would be more future proof ? I am an avid Android user recently coming back to ios through my ipad ( love it ). I also don't have any music on it but that is because there is no ipad optimized app for google music all access yet

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I don't "need" it now but at the same time I am not planning on selling my ipad anytime soon and for the long future ahead of me I thought a 64gb would be more future proof ? I am an avid Android user recently coming back to ios through my ipad ( love it ). I also don't have any music on it but that is because there is no ipad optimized app for google music all access yet

When and if you NEED the space, sell yours and buy the bigger one.

nabwong

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2008
Was in the same, I went with 64gb. I have all my music, some amazon vids and all my PDFs. Not to mention all the HD apps and games. I'm using about 40gbs. I'm also gonna make a lot of sound recordings. So no brainier for me.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
Was in the same, I went with 64gb. I have all my music, some amazon vids and all my PDFs. Not to mention all the HD apps and games. I'm using about 40gbs. I'm also gonna make a lot of sound recordings. So no brainier for me.

Ya.. I am on the fence but leaning toward exchanging it again for the 64GB ipad air .... or might just get the mini 64gb or maybe 128gb

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
I'm thinking about doing the same with my Retina Mini.

How is the Retina mini? I wanted the 9.7 inch screen but considered the mini since I could get more space for less money compared to the Air at the same capacity but the reviews of it being washed out compared to the air convinced me to get the air

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
How is the Retina mini? I wanted the 9.7 inch screen but considered the mini since I could get more space for less money compared to the Air at the same capacity but the reviews of it being washed out compared to the air convinced me to get the air

I don't have an Air to compare it to but to me, the colors are very bright and doesn't look washed out at all. I've seen pictures of the Mini and the air side by side showing the same content and I didn't see much of a difference.

I seriously love this thing. I gave away my Nexus 7!

nabwong

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2008
Ya.. I am on the fence but leaning toward exchanging it again for the 64GB ipad air .... or might just get the mini 64gb or maybe 128gb

My wife has a 128gb mini. I have to say that the complaints about the screen difference is ridiculous. They both look great. I need the bigger screen to read sheet music. If i didn't need the big screen, I'd get the mini.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
I don't have an Air to compare it to but to me, the colors are very bright and doesn't look washed out at all. I've seen pictures of the Mini and the air side by side showing the same content and I didn't see much of a difference.

I seriously love this thing. I gave away my Nexus 7!

I am in the process of selling my Nexus 7 ( loved it but selling it toward my purchase for the ipad ) and I liked the full sized screen for media consumption and bigger screen but looks like I might consider the ipad mini then :)

----------

My wife has a 128gb mini. I have to say that the complaints about the screen difference is ridiculous. They both look great. I need the bigger screen to read sheet music. If i didn't need the big screen, I'd get the mini.

ya I prefer the bigger screen but if I can get more space for less I am going to consider the mini

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013

Screen looks fine. You won't even notice the issue unless you have it side by side with an air. And even then to most people it won't be a big deal.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I am in the process of selling my Nexus 7 ( loved it but selling it toward my purchase for the ipad ) and I liked the full sized screen for media consumption and bigger screen but looks like I might consider the ipad mini then :)

People in another thread keep telling me that there is no such thing as a perfect display on any iPad or tablet but I gotta say, I think they are wrong. If there is anything wrong with mine, I can't tell. The lighting is even and no odd colors.

But I keep thinking of that 64GB Mini. Why?

I have a lot of music plus, I like loading up some movies and TV shows too.

I do have iTunes Match and that along with iTunes Radio makes the "other" space on the iPad fill up beyond belief. It was up to 10GB of space a few days ago. I end up turning off iTunes Match and the other space stays low until I turn it on again.

I had a 64GB 4S that I liked a lot because I was able to keep over 5,000 songs on it. Somedays I just like to have videos on it and no music. :)

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
I am probably going to get the 64GB ipad Air but the question is now would BestBuy allow me to exchange it for it? I already exchanged for the 32gb from the 16gb ?

ougum

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2008
I am probably going to get the 64GB ipad Air but the question is now would BestBuy allow me to exchange it for it? I already exchanged for the 32gb from the 16gb ?

As long as you don't have too many exchanges, they'll do it. You'll get a warning reciept if you ever get close to them declining you a return.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
As long as you don't have too many exchanges, they'll do it. You'll get a warning reciept if you ever get close to them declining you a return.

Ah thanks I wasn't 100% sure..... I have a square trade warranty on it do I need to cancel it and put it on the new one or it is fine ?

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2011
I Bought the new ipad Air last Friday(16GB) at bestbuy and realized 16GB was way to small and exchanged it for the 32GB.... That being said I find the 32GB roomy for now and planning on keeping it for the foreseeable future but I am wondering should I exchange it for the 64GB just so I feel safe with the more space there for when I get more apps ? I have Google play all access so I can download any music I want pretty much ( waiting for an ipad optimized app) and while I might keep some movies on it ( might just put them all on idk right now) I will keep my movie collection on my Galaxy s4 ( Because I have a 64GB Micro sd card in there and doesn't take space on internal memory )

Highest GB or bust. Go big or go home. 128gb

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
You should have worked out what your estimated storage requirements were before purchasing in the first place.

As I have stated I am an avid Android user for a while last ios device I owned was an iPhone 4 ) and owned Samsung devices which all use micro SD cards so I always bought the smallest internal memory and bought SD cards. I am new to this internal memory only again and thus I am kind of asking

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania

I have both. The rMini is not washed out, and skin tones look more natural with its color gamut. Magazines that don't allow pinch to zoom are the only drawback with the rMini, but otherwise it's a very handy size. My Air stays indoors as much as my iPad 4 did, and the rMini goes out with me frequently. Getting 128GB for the price of a 64GB Air isn't bad either. ;) I have 49 1080p movies on both tablets. :D

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
It seems to me that those who need large amounts storage have quite a bit of video and or other specialty files that take up lots of space. Music and photos aren't that bad unless you really, really have a crapload if them. Plus, with a little management you ought to be able to remove things you aren't using and cycle things in and out. You can and should do that for apps too, IMO.

I was going to go with the 64gb this time but instead went with 32GB and got cellular support with it for about the same money. Glad I did at this point. I don't store videos on my iPad though.

Andrew K.

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
I have both. The rMini is not washed out, and skin tones look more natural with its color gamut. Magazines that don't allow pinch to zoom are the only drawback with the rMini, but otherwise it's a very handy size. My Air stays indoors as much as my iPad 4 did, and the rMini goes out with me frequently. Getting 128GB for the price of a 64GB Air isn't bad either. ;) I have 49 1080p movies on both tablets. :D

It actually is 69% of the color gamut and it is noticeable. I have no clue why apple did that when the nexus 7 has 100% just like the iPad Air. I really want the rMini but the color was the only drawback. I'm a graphic designer and I need the full color gamut.

CandyNJ66

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
USA

Yes, they will as long as you have your receipt and photo ID.

I plan to exchange my Retina Mini 32GB for a 64GB before Jan 15 at Best Buy because I realize the games I love take up TONS of space! These apps/games are hundreds of mb-2.5 gigs+, so would rather get the larger size and not stress about what I have to delete off my iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.