Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
This is going to sound like a daft question, but I need to keep my eGPU somewhere other than my desk.

I have the Razer Core X eGPU with a Radeon RX Vega 64 card inside. But the thing sounds like a jet taking off. Having returned the Blackmagic eGPU for this (for the increase in power), it's obvious just how remarkable the silence from the Blackmagic unit it.

Anyway, back to the point. I don't know if I'm making this up, it's an old wives tale or if it's true but I think I remember someone telling me that you should keep a computer on the floor on carpet because potential static or something might be bad for it. If this is indeed true, would keeping my eGPU on the floor cause damage to it?

I cannot keep this thing on my desk, it's too loud, so I need to keep it somewhere close enough to my desk that I can still connect the thing to my MacBook, but not so close that I have to wear ear plugs when it's in use.

Thanks.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Simply sitting on a carpeted surface in and of itself shouldn't do anything.

Much of the avoidance of carpet or bedsheets came from when it was more common that a laptop depended on airflow to or through the bottom for cooling purposes. On a desk the feet created a gap allowing airflow; on a soft surface that gap didn't exist, and could thus lead to the system running hotter.

Apart from all that I'd avoid the eGPU on the carpet simply because its fan will pick up every bit of dirt and dust.

Reactions: Ifti

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
Thanks. But I need to put it somewhere. This is driving me mad...

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I would place a piece of thick card or something on the carpet, then place the unit on top of that. This way its still getting airflow and wont be sucking in all the dust from the carpet (well not as much as it would on bare carpet anyways).
If you could raise it a few cm from the carpet then even better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.