Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boomhowler

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2008
fernmeister, please keep us posted on this if you find more troubles with the Duet. I'm planning on buying one as soon as I get my taxe-returns and this put me off a bit, although you gave me hope by telling me that it works with the new firmware!

Reach

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2006
Norway
As someone else noted, the problem is not gone, I hotplugged my Firebox and got a KP again... Guess I still have to turn the machine off/on when I'm going to make music..

Ploki

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
no the problem is just mildly treated.
you dont get KP for EVERY sample rate change or everytime you turn it on.

fernmeister

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2007
fernmeister, please keep us posted on this if you find more troubles with the Duet. I'm planning on buying one as soon as I get my taxe-returns and this put me off a bit, although you gave me hope by telling me that it works with the new firmware!

I'm glad this thread got bumped so I can amend my last post. The firmware update dramatically improved the performance of the Duet, but the Kernel panics are sadly not gone. It's pretty clear from the various DAW forums that I'm not the only one struggling. In particular I have a Duet-specific problem when switching users. I'm still getting responses from Apogee along the lines of

"We are working to help resolve the issue and hope to see an update in the very near future." But that is not solid.

It's a real shame because the Duet is such a great piece of kit, sounds great and is simple to use. But the stability is still a let down and it *might* be best to wait until a new driver and/or major OS update comes out.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
I just bumped into this thread and I am a relatively new Mac, Final Cut, Logic, Edirol, etc. user...

My config...early 08 3.0ghz/10gig RAM/Edirol FA101...Using Final Cut and Logic with a Symetrix 528 in between mic and Edirol...I thought this was something I was doing wrong. I have had 2 KPs since I installed everything (past 48 hours). Not sure what I did to replicate it...but twice I have had to hard re-boot the Mac. This is the first issue of any kind I have had with it! (the Mac)

It doesn't sound like this is a new issue with this latest Leopard update and I am not sure I want to find out if I have the crappy chip set.

Is there a card on the market without issue?

Jeremy

silicon1138

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2008
i can happily report that my Kernel Panics have gone after the firmware update
-terrtec phase 24, imac 2.4ghz, 4gig Ram, osx 10.5.2

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2006
I'm glad this thread got bumped so I can amend my last post. The firmware update dramatically improved the performance of the Duet, but the Kernel panics are sadly not gone. It's pretty clear from the various DAW forums that I'm not the only one struggling. In particular I have a Duet-specific problem when switching users. I'm still getting responses from Apogee along the lines of

"We are working to help resolve the issue and hope to see an update in the very near future." But that is not solid.

It's a real shame because the Duet is such a great piece of kit, sounds great and is simple to use. But the stability is still a let down and it *might* be best to wait until a new driver and/or major OS update comes out.

my suspicion is that this is a leo. problem. it seems like people are having this issue with all kinds of different hardware, and 10.5 seems to be the only common denominator. hopefully the impending .3 release will deal with it...

Ploki

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
why EFI update if it is an OS problem?
isnt EFI a bios equivalent of some kind

anyway, i taught myself not to turn on the card if not truly needed...:(

silicon1138

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2008
well, i guess i spoke too soon. After things seemingly being fine, today they are back to normal ie KP when hot plugging the terratec.
I hate firewire - i've had such rotten luck with it over the last few years. Fried 3 G5 motherboards hot plugging FW drives from Lacie, Iomega and another i fail to recall. Also blew the FW port on a new Macbook.

The sooner USB3 arrives the better in my life.
I hold my breath everytime i plug some FW device in these days.
Fryerwire i call it.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
"Fried 3 G5 motherboards hot plugging FW drives from Lacie, Iomega and another i fail to recall. Also blew the FW port on a new Macbook."

Are you serious? That is insane...I've never heard of actually frying motherboards...this is scary. Not that I make a habit of plugging in and unplugging while the computer is running, but come to think of it, I never thought it would be an issue if I did "hot swap" firewire cables. Obviously it is! Is the ONLY correct and safe way to plug, unplug, or swap IEEE to shut down the computer and then do it?

I do power down my FA-101 after use, regardless...this seems to eliminate my issue so far (and they specifically recommend turning OFF sleep function and the energy customization). The UA-25 being USB and powered by the same is benign...never had any issues or KPs there.

I am really curious though about this Firewire "Frying Motherboard" issue! This is my first MacPro and the most expensive, albeit, fastest computer I have ever purchased...and the Lord knows we have very few Firewire ports to choose from...I don't want to start breaking them!

Are they really this fragile?

Jeremy

danhops

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2008
I was having the same problems of a KP on the initial start up with my M-Audio 1814 interface. Just purchased a SIIG Firewire 400 card just to run my audio interface off of, and am no longer having the KP's. It only happens when I am plugged into the stock Apple FW ports. Just figured that may help some of you guys here. Kind of a drag for such a pricey computer, but I was having problems running my 1814 with FW drives as well. Just so happened to cure both issues.

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2006
I was having the same problems of a KP on the initial start up with my M-Audio 1814 interface. Just purchased a SIIG Firewire 400 card just to run my audio interface off of, and am no longer having the KP's. It only happens when I am plugged into the stock Apple FW ports. Just figured that may help some of you guys here. Kind of a drag for such a pricey computer, but I was having problems running my 1814 with FW drives as well. Just so happened to cure both issues.

hmmmmm........

the plot thickens.....:confused:

mgsarch

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
i have still gotten a KP here and there, many fewer.

I'm hoping 10.5.3 will clear this up. I doubt it.

i have a saffire pro.

danhops

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2008
hmmmmm........

the plot thickens.....:confused:

I am not sure that it'll help people with other brand interfaces. I was pleasantly surprised that it cured my woes. Not a single KP when I start up anymore:) Now I'll just use the standard Apple ports for drives and such:)

treehorn

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
I am not sure that it'll help people with other brand interfaces. I was pleasantly surprised that it cured my woes. Not a single KP when I start up anymore:) Now I'll just use the standard Apple ports for drives and such:)

Just to toss in my experiences...

I have my Firebox plugged into a Sonnet Firewire 400 card. While I have very few KP's as a result of plugging it into a card vs Apple's ports (people need to make sure they have Firewire only as USB/Firewire combos add to the woes), had one yesterday when I plugged the Firebox into the MacPro while it was up and running.

mgsarch

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
ugh, this suggests that faulty hardware is a possibility. good god, that's probably a logic board replacement.

what a pain in the neck. I guess I should start the dialog with applecare while I have free time right now.

fernmeister

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2007
ugh, this suggests that faulty hardware is a possibility. good god, that's probably a logic board replacement.

what a pain in the neck. I guess I should start the dialog with applecare while I have free time right now.

How did you go with that?

My current situation is that without the Duet plugged in, there are zero KPs. With Duet there are some. With the Duet and Apple iCamera, there are quite a few. My backup plan is to try a firewire PCI card if the problems are not fixed when 10.5.3 comes out.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
My KPs have all but vanished with my Edirol FA101 since I have discontinued trying to either turn it on or off while the MacPro is alive. Turning the Firebox on or off then rebooting my Mac (just as it says in the manual:)) and I haven't had one since.

BTW...I also have a UA-25 (Edirol USB box, mandatory for Windows on Bootcamp) hooked up all the time and never an issue...of course, it's phantom powered.

Jer

egilDOTnet

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2007
Now with 10.5.3 out, can anyone give their feedback to the kernel panic problems? I am away right now, but am wondering if I can start using my PreSonus Firepod like normal again when I return home...

Ploki

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
well, as far as i tried it seem stable now...
samplerates, turning it on/off, sleeping, turning it off while sleeping... seems okay

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2006
yeah, seems ok here. i turned my echo unit on and off 4 times on one boot without any problems.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
just got one kp with logic at the end of bounce.
odd.
otherwise okay...

zosoaudo007

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2007
I have the same issue. I have an MBox2 Pro connected via firewire on Leopard and I get kernel panics consistently. It is infrequent enough to not do a lot of harm, but enough to cause concern, inconvenience, and loss of work.

I have hard drives daisy chained after the audio interface connection, and occasionally when I read/write data on those FW drives it will KP. 10.5.3 update did not fix it, nor has any other. It doesn't even happen less frequently after the update.

This is absolutely ridiculous. It seems like a hardware issue to me because of its consistency even after many updates by many users. If it were a software issue, they either haven't addressed the issue yet, or they suck at addressing the issue.

Personally, I think they know damn well what they are doing and refuse to bite the bullet and say, "Hey, it's a hardware issue and we need to recall and replace components". I'm not looking forward to that, but if it were the case at least they could stop being so secretive about ****, and assure us CUSTOMERS that they are taking the bull by the horns and looking to effectively rid this issue of their products.

Seriously, wtf? What COMPANY sells you something faulty, and you complain of issues, and they give you no reassurance what-so-ever of addressing the issues. At least tell us you are taking care of it. ****ing douche-bags.

Although, Leopard has been buggy for some time and many users and AI (audio interface) manufacturers claim that Leopard is the issue and not hardware. I hope it is a software issue and not hardware. I have heard of hardware based FW issues in the past pre-Leopard and I hope they have fixed those.

Let's hope an update solves this problem soon. At the very latest I assume it will be fixed (if it is indeed software) with Snow Leopard in 2009.

At this point I, and for many others too, do not have the option of sending in ANOTHER product to have it fixed by them because they can't do their jobs right. It costs me time, money, and not to mention how important a computer is in this day and age. Especially, audio engineers, musicians, and recordings engineers.

FIX YOUR ***** APPLE

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.