Keurig Machines Any Good?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by killvmain, Mar 4, 2016.

1. killvmain macrumors newbie

Hello there, I've seen many of you know well coffee, I'm trying to upgrade to something better than hot brewing coffee machines and got Keurig machines, does anyone know if them are good, ok, terrible, etc?

I do follow the forums for a while but I never did post before so hello everyone :)

2. GalFieri macrumors regular

GalFieri

Hey, I'm new too! Signed up only today actually.

I tend to generally advise people not to get one because of environmental reasons. Also, aren't they the ones that tried to use DRM for their coffee pods?

3. jerwin macrumors 65816

It's getting more and more difficult to find whole bean coffee at the grocery store, what with the metastasizing racks of coffee pods.

4. kch50428 macrumors 6502

kch50428

Get a reusable pod so you can get your own coffee... Or, screw the machine and get a French press pot and learn to use it well. :)

5. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

We have a Keurig at home and I have a Verismo at work. Reusable pods in both.

I prefer the Verismo. I think the water is hotter, and it's easier to refill the pods.

6. jerwin macrumors 65816

I myself have an aeropress. Cleanup is easier than with a french press.

7. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Keurig Machine 2.0 do indeed use DRM, but let's face it, the cheap coffee that doesn't come with the chip tastes gross anyway. The newer machines do allow you to use refillable cups, but if it's a 2.0, it has to use the newer version.

Keurig brewers are just ok, not great. My mom's smaller one heats up a lot more than mine does. The biggest thing is convenience. If you only want one or two cups, they are ideal.

8. _ATR_ macrumors newbie

Keurigs are better than Nespressos for instance, though pod machines impose their own limitations and issues - ecological, financial - pods are expensive - and quality of coffee. If you are not that demanding they might be fine for you. I've seen a bunch of them in best of lists for budget machines, though I'm not sure I would afford one.

9. Scepticalscribe, Mar 5, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

An excellent suggestion, and one that I'll second. A French Press is almost idiot proof, lasts forever, and you can buy coffee pre-ground if you don't wish to go to the trouble of having to grind your own.

Actually, with a French Press, you are limited solely by the quality of the coffee you buy.

10. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I went through 4 machines in the last six years. The pumps have a bad reputation of failing. This is what happened to all 4 of mine. I've since gone back to perked coffee, which in my opinion is far superior, and far cheaper than K Cups.

11. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Really? Our machine is over 4 years old and we've never had a problem.

12. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

I love our Keurig. I only buy the biodegradable San Francisco Bay pods.

13. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I've had mine coming up on three years, no problems. I do only use it once a day though, the rest of the time it's French press for me. But at 5am I have to say I like pushing that button for the cup of java I need to figure out how to make real coffee.

14. zachlegomaniac, Mar 5, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016

zachlegomaniac macrumors 6502a

zachlegomaniac

My wife and I had two, both in the mid to late 2000's and each lasted about 1.5 years. Now we just brew traditionally and have had that same machine for at least 6 years. The newer versions may be way better than the ones we had purchased, but they didn't hold up well back then.

Edit: We did have three people in the house making at least one cup a day.... and probably up to 3 max (per person) so it was getting moderate use.

Also, +1 for the French Press.

15. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Our Keurig machine has served us well for about 6-7 years. We don't drink enough coffee to justify making more than a few cups, and since I drink decaf and my wife does not it lets us each make what we want without making more than we will drink.

Unlike others in this thread, I did buy a refillable pod but I could never get it to work correctly, so I don't use it.

16. jerwin macrumors 65816

That's one of those unlicensed manufacturers, is it not? And you know what that means, don't you?

17. zachlegomaniac macrumors 6502a

zachlegomaniac

We also have a Rancilio espresso machine that has worked well for us. Thought I'd mention that as well.