Keychain error

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rizzeau, Mar 26, 2016.

1. rizzeau macrumors newbie

rizzeau

Hello dear people,
    I've got a small issue here. A while ago I got multiple keychain errors, and I tried to reinstall OS X again and it all failed. Thinking my HDD in my MacBook had failed I ordered a brand new SDD (Samsung Evo 850). After a successful install I get the same errors again, and my keychain gets corrupt instantly again.

Has anybody got a clue what I can do to have a clean install with a functioning keychain?

Thanks in advance.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Are you having any other issues with the Mac like apps launching really slow that might be signs of a drive failing?

You can try resetting the keychain to a new default keychain by clicking this button in Keychain app preferences. Of course you will lose any saved passwords you have in the existing keychain.

Screen Shot 2016-03-26 at 7.58.51 AM.png

3. rizzeau thread starter macrumors newbie

rizzeau

There were indeed more signs of a failing drive, but now I've put in a brand new SSD to replace the faulty HDD and I get te same errors. I've even reinstalled OS X three times on my new drive.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

So aside from the Keychain issue, even with the new SSD you are seeing symptoms like when a drive is dying? Like really slow app launches and beachballs? If so, a drive cable failure can cause this (assuming your Mac is a model with a drive cable).

5. rizzeau thread starter macrumors newbie

rizzeau

Everything seems really quick, but that might be the problem. After the latest clean install I couldn't finish the latest update. It kept saying "installing update, 28 minutes remaining".

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Do you have a USB enclosure you could pop the SSD in then run it from that for a bit. If that fixes it, that would prove it is the cable.

7. rizzeau thread starter macrumors newbie

rizzeau

Unfortunately no.

So I already had to install OS X five times. This morning I logged on and could do everything, I walk away for five minutes, my MacBook is locked and when I enter my password it said it was wrong. Now I'm locked out of my computer again.

8. rizzeau, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2016

rizzeau thread starter macrumors newbie

rizzeau

I think I've found the problem.
    I opened up my MacBook and there was indeed wire visible. Ergo the SATA cable is faulty.

I'll update this when I have a new cable.

Thank you Weaselboy for all your help.

[Update]
    I finally got my cable, installed it a few days ago and so far my laptop is working perfectly.
    No more keychain erros, no faulty installations. It works like a Mac supposed to work.