KGI: AirPods Shipments Will Double Next Year Given Strong Demand

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 4, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

AirPods will remain one of Apple's most popular accessories in 2018, with shipments likely to double to an estimated 26-28 million units on a year-over-year basis, according to Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

[​IMG]

Kuo said there has been strong demand for AirPods, which he views as the most important accessory in Apple's wireless ecosystem. His prediction implies AirPods shipments will total 13-14 million units in 2017.

An excerpt from Kuo's latest research note with investment firm KGI Securities, a copy of which was obtained by MacRumors:
    Chinese company Luxshare could become the main assembler of AirPods in 2018, with a higher order allocation than fellow supplier Inventec, after improving its assembly process and increasing production capacity.

Apple doesn't break out AirPods sales like it does with iPhones, iPads, and Macs. Instead, it groups the wireless earphones under its "Other Products" category, alongside Apple TV, Apple Watch, Beats, iPods, and other accessories.

Apple reported revenue of $3.2 billion from its "Other Products" category last quarter, up 36 percent year over year.

Last month, on an earnings call, Apple CEO Tim Cook said he was "thrilled with the momentum" of AirPods. He boasted that Apple's entire wearables business generated the annual revenue of a "Fortune 400" company in the 2017 fiscal year.
    AirPods launched for $159 in December 2016 after a two month delay, but orders on Apple's website faced a six-week shipping estimate until August 2017 as Apple struggled to improve the supply-demand balance of the wireless earphones.

AirPods shipping estimates have gradually improved since then, with orders now slated for delivery in under one week.

We haven't heard many rumors about second-generation AirPods, but Apple will be releasing an inductive charging case for the wireless earphones designed to work with its AirPower charging mat, which itself will launch in early 2018.

Article Link: KGI: AirPods Shipments Will Double Next Year Given Strong Demand

2. Aussi3 macrumors 6502

Aussi3

What happened to the negative hype of everyone that said they suck without trying them! And they will be a flop lol

3. upnorth85 macrumors 6502a

upnorth85

I bought them and used them to watch Netflix on my iPad in bed. But they fall very easily. In the car, I have bluetooth, so my use for these are mainly for YouTube etc. Unfortunately for me they stay in my ear only in upright position like in standing or sitting in a chair.

4. Geert76 macrumors 68000

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Waiting for the rumored wireless case. Hoping they'll come in black too. Love the AirPods, hate the color. Tried the stickers but they look like stickers.

Who is everyone? All the pro reviews I came across said they were basically the most Apple-like product in the Tim Cook era.

6. HardRain macrumors regular

It's an Apple product, it wouldn't matter what the quality is like, they will sell.

7. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

Love my AirPod's. Could never go back to wired ones.
    Been using them for almost a year, thy have never fallen off my ears. And even after excessive run.

8. recoil80 macrumors 68020

I'll buy a pair when they'll be in ears, that's why I went for the BeatsX

9. unibility macrumors 6502a

B46FC98E-8DA6-4914-B426-FCBFA7519178.jpeg i use these and they are super comfortable and the quality of sound is exceptional.

10. john123 macrumors 68020

john123

11. testcard macrumors 68040

testcard

Who doesn’t like a positive research note from the Mingster?

12. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

Why does everything from Apple need to be classed as a "Magical Experience"
    This is getting really embarrassing for adults.
    Fine if you are explaining things to a group of 6 - 8 year olds in school.

Please stop with the Magical.

13. Aussi3 macrumors 6502

Aussi3

The macrumors community lol who else would be negative? :p

14. punchwalk macrumors regular

The migration away from wired accessories is creating a vacuum in the market. Apple AirPods are currently one of only a few completely wireless earbuds with decent sound and build quality, so it makes sense that demand will continue to be strong. There are options with better sound quality, but AirPods' synergy with iOS devices and slightly lower price point should keep them ahead of the pack for a bit.

15. neuropsychguy macrumors 65816

neuropsychguy

It's one of the words used by Steve Jobs. Apple keeps using it as homage to him.

16. fokmik macrumors 68040

So the kid inside you,is dead

17. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68020

TroyBoy30

youre welcome

https://www.jaybirdsport.com/en-us?...W_opJH2hyTWwcONTsZAa6tMu8uFCHFPQaAqf1EALw_wcB

18. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Another rumour from Captain Obvious Kuo . Getting a little predictable

19. lellis2k macrumors 6502

lellis2k

I'm waiting to see if the wireless charger comes bundled when it's released. Can't justify paying for a wired and wireless case as well.

20. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Cause magic cost more - Tim is charging magical prices for apple products these days..... ;)

21. djeeyore25 macrumors 6502

djeeyore25

I love the simplicity and design of the AirPods, but I think they are overrated soundwise (for the price). They let too much outside noise leak in.

22. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

Released one year ago and unmatched yet. Apple is so far ahead in so many areas it’s not even funny anymore*

*it’s actually funny

23. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

I’m not surprised. They are much better sounding and versatile than I expected them to be.

The only downside is that they don’t fit underneath a motorcycle helmet. :(

24. musika macrumors 65816

musika

It's almost as if Apple found a way to replace the iPod revenue stream in the era of phones. AirPods alone cost more than the most popular iPod nano did in its day.

25. cloudness macrumors member

It's an Apple product, it wouldn't matter what the quality is like, people would complain.

That being said, I am a happy AirPods user ;)