KGI: Apple Could Ship 100 Million Units of New 6.1-inch LCD iPhone, Replacing iPhone 8 and 8 Plus in 2018 Device Line-up

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 14, 2018 at 2:52 AM.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo today shared shipment projections with MacRumors for Apple's rumored 6.1-inch iPhone that he expects to launch in the second half of 2018.

The device is said to have some iPhone X features such as Face ID, but design compromises will enable Apple to put it at a more affordable price point. They could include an LCD screen instead of an OLED display, an aluminum frame, a single lens camera, and no 3D Touch.

[​IMG]
    According to Kuo's research note, shipment projections could fluctuate depending on the selling price of the 6.1-inch LCD iPhone, which Kuo believes will be somewhere between $700 and $800 in the United States. In his analysis, shipments will be around 105-115 million units when priced at US$699, and 95-105 million units when priced at US$799.

The price could also depend on "whether Apple ultimately sees the new 6.1-inch LCD model as the successor of iPhone 8 or 8 Plus," according to Kuo. In a previous note, KGI Securities has said the 6.1-inch iPhone will have a standard non-stacked logic board and rectangular battery pack like the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus.

Kuo expects the 6.1-inch LCD iPhone to account for around 50 percent of the new iPhone line-up's shipments, with sales remaining strong into 2019. On that basis, today's shipping estimate suggests lifetime sales of 2018 iPhones could reach approximately 200 million units.

The device is expected to be announced around September-October as usual alongside a new 5.8-inch iPhone X and a larger 6.5-inch version dubbed iPhone X Plus.

Article Link: KGI: Apple Could Ship 100 Million Units of New 6.1-inch LCD iPhone, Replacing iPhone 8 and 8 Plus in 2018 Device Line-up

2. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

3. BMcCoy macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

Given that I can do everything with a ‘long press’ on my iPhone SE, that uses ‘3D Touch’ on the latest iPhones, is it actually needed?

4. lionsy macrumors 6502

I still think the lack of 3D touch is either completely wrong or if true, would be a massive misstep from Apple.

It's a core feature of the OS at this point.

5. Roller macrumors 68020

After using a 6 Plus, 7 Plus, and X, I can't imagine going back to a larger phone unless Apple comes up with some type of foldable display, but I think that's still a few years off. I'd also be interested in a much longer lasting battery, but I haven't seen evidence of that yet. Other improvements (camera, processor, etc.) seem incremental unless there's a breakthrough there, as well.

6. Heineken macrumors regular

Heineken

Yes, because it's not the same.

7. alexgowers macrumors 65816

I think Apple needs to deprecate some of its tech to hit what people really want at the right price.

3D touch is probably the reason a through the screen fingerprint reader wasn't possible as it makes the screen stack so thick. IMO it should definitely be dropped on ALL models. FaceID is a nice idea but a rear fingerprint or under screen would be preferable for both cost savings and design.

Lighting needs to go in favour of USBC, then hopefully we can all settle on a headphone standard that will be on all devices regardless of make from laptops to tablets and phones. Every new phone and PC has the jack now, so the switch won't be that bad and i'm sure an adapter could be made that sits flush for all hold outs.

Frame material should be cheap, whether that is aluminium or steel.

Glass back, honestly i want to see glass backs go away, they suck. Ceramic, metal, plastic, composite that doesn't crack would all be preferable.

Curved Bezels and bezels, I think we are ready for thinner bezels from Apple. It's almost a must to remain competitive. The curves in the corners are offensive to me in so many ways. Just pull that screen all the way to the edge and have it drip over the sides already!

The Aspect ratio! OH god this is one of my biggest pet peeves. 16:9 is video and the screen should be 16:9 at ALL times regardless of how it affects one-handed use.

Dark UI, we've had the candy coloured, eye-watering festival of girliness for way too long. I'd love to see a slick, dark UI scheme with toned down colours and instead greys and transparency. Please, all the men in the world are crying out for a dark theme for iOS.

Notifications have to be redone. Android does notifications right yet apple still clings to every notification from every app having a separate box. They need to be grouped with options to show by time instead.

8. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

3D Touch doesn’t necessarily have to be “needed” to be favored though. I think 3D Touch is a really convenient feature to have and is a shortcut versus navigating throughout the whole application. The Issue is Apple does not market 3D Touch enough for others to really take notice and appreciate it.

9. wheelhot macrumors 68020

No 3D Touch basically debunked this assumption, if anything, Apple will want to 3D Touch everything and that means the iPad as well, not removing it cause of cost.

10. zonk44 macrumors member

zonk44

You can't do everything with long press. In my opinion, the greatest feature of 3D touch is the ability to control a precise text cursor by 3D touching the keyboard. Setting the text cursor to a preferred position in a text field was a pain for me pre-3D touch

11. recoil80 macrumors 68000

I don't use 3D touch a lot, but I'm sure I'd miss it. And I love the dual camera of my 8+, I'd never go back to a single camera. I'm not a big fan of the portrait lighting effects, but I often use the 2x zoom to take pictures.
    The only compromise I'd be willing to take in order to get a cheaper iPhone is LCD, my 8+ display is just fine, the OLED of iPhone X is better, but not enough to be a compelling reason to upgrade.
    The perfect phone to me would be the 8+ with FaceID, so tiny bezels on the top and the bottom (no need for the notch, just smaller bezels) and the same aspect ratio.

12. jonnyb macrumors 65816

Yeah, we need a manly UI for men, devoid of colour, whimsy, and imagination. It would also help colourblind men. GRRRR!

I see this need every day on my train to work. Grown manly men, often with hairy chests, weeping (not too loudly, obviously) as they have to spend another commute looking at colours.

13. swm macrumors regular

"Apple Could Ship 100 Million Units of New 6.1-inch LCD iPhone, Replacing iPhone 8 and 8 Plus in 2018 Device Line-up"

... or not.

14. BruceEBonus macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

You can’t argue with that kind of reasoning! :)

15. Keniutek macrumors 6502

Keniutek

Woohoo, Ming whatever is back. Was beginning to worry, poor guy was nowhere to be found for like a week or two. Glad he's ok and BACK...

16. Schnegg macrumors newbie

Schnegg

Three huge phones at slightly different price points make no sense to me. How about an LCD iPhone/iPhone Plus without bezels and an OLED iPhone X/iPhone X Plus lineup? Maybe some smaller sized SE to flll out the lower-end price point.

17. Dave245 macrumors 601

With Apple adding a 6.1” screen for the LCD and 6.5” for the OLED version, I wonder if Apple will make the new iPhone’s Apple Pencil comparable? Or maybe make a smaller newer Apple Pencil for it.

18. ValO macrumors 65816

I agree.
    They should make a 5.2-5.3 and 6.1 inch lcd version and a new x and x plus.

But i guess it will be a pain to introduce 3 new models+an inproved x.
    Supply chain would go crazy.

So my guess there only will be 2 new models : reg 6.1 and x plus(+ improved x) and in a few months a new se.

19. dan9700 macrumors 65816

dan9700

Can we just wait near the time lol we are ages away

20. jonnyb macrumors 65816

Mac Rumors innit tho

21. ikir macrumors 65816

3D Touch is a killer features for me, for example for trackpad

22. TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

Got to agree with some of the comments here. The first thing I thought when I had a close look at the image was, balls.

I doubt Apple will leave out 3D Touch. Sure a lot of things can be achieved with a long press. But that doesn’t have the fine granular feedback that’s available with 3D Touch.

To leave it out Apple would basically be saying it wasn’t needed in the first place and I doubt they’d do that.

It would also break compatibility with the (mostly games) apps which use the feature.

Not to mention you’d lose the ability to move the cursor around using the keyboard and selecting text by pressing harder.

I’m calling utter balls on this one.

23. Heineken macrumors regular

Heineken

No, you can't. Long press is just a software feature that works similarly in a few limited ways.

24. vaxes macrumors newbie

Am I the only one who wants a screen bigger then 6.5?
    With that aspect ratio I would only see a 0.01 inch increase in active screen size against my 7plus.

AE

25. ikir macrumors 65816

Glass back is cool and also needed for induction charge. Lighting is better in mobile since it is waterproof and smaller. Usb-C is awesome but keep on macOS side. The other thins you mentioned is purely personal and I disagree on most.
    Surely price needs to be lower especially outside US, here in Italy iPhone X price is crazy even if 100% of my costumers and friends who have one love it.