Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

giggles

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
LCD can’t possibly be as close to the bezel as OLED, right?
Not sure about round corners (maybe just masking?).

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

tRYSIS3

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2011
This is a joke honestly if real. The thing with the notch is that it becomes invisible on black backgrounds when watching videos because of the OLED screen which has very deep blacks, however with the lcd the notch will be visible at all times which is really bad for media consumption. Apple has gone to ****.

Reactions: Eagle1337

jcokacola

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2017
thats crazy they should lower the prices and start the XS on 799 and the plus at 899 or 949. I bought the X but its way too pricey. also they should make an iPhone SE2 and a smaller iPhone than the X for 649

giggles

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
This is a joke honestly if real. The thing with the notch is that it becomes invisible on black backgrounds when watching videos because of the OLED screen which has very deep blacks, however with the lcd the notch will be visible at all times which is really bad for media consumption. Apple has gone to ****.
Who said the LCD model has a notch? Could have chins.
Don’t mind the picture.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Another solid prediction by Kuo.

Not even two weeks have passed since the X was launched.

It looks like Apple seriously wants to prevent the bottleneck they experienced this year. I wouldn’t be surprised if:

6.4” OLED = Samsung
5.8” OLED = LG
6.1” LCD = JDI and Sharp

Last edited:

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I get the 6.5" and 5.8", but why not make the LCD one smaller (maybe 5")? Make it more of a budget version, to replace the SE form factor. Guess that just makes too much sense.

Good point. Although IMO going from a 4" Form Factor to 5" could be a deal breaker for the SE users. They tend to be extremely focused on the 4" Form. The SE still sells in huge volume and is a Cash Cow for Apple. We also see the demand for the 4.7' 8 not developing. Is it from people wanting bigger phones, or not upgrading? It's a tough call for Timmy. :apple:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I get the 6.5" and 5.8", but why not make the LCD one smaller (maybe 5")? Make it more of a budget version, to replace the SE form factor. Guess that just makes too much sense.

It makes no sense because the shift is towards large displays, for the entire industry.

Only diehard SE users think it makes sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.